PDA

View Full Version : Weird phone call

Damien
14-05-2009, 19:34
Hi, I got a strange letter today which simply asked me to phone a number. I did so, and got informed that this company where trying to forward some mail from an old student address from a few years ago.

He wanted to know how to contact the other 2 people the letter's were addressed too. So I gave this guys number to those 2 people.

Now I am quite worried though, Why didn't they send my mail to me right away instead sending the message to contact them? Also why is someone was focused on contacting us. Has anyone had this before, any idea what it could be?:(

Gary L
14-05-2009, 19:43
Debt collectors.

Damien
14-05-2009, 19:46
Debt collectors.

Crossed my mind as well. Everyone agree?

Any suggestions on how to handle this since he have left for 2 years and have had no correspondence on bills for that time. My credit record is fine and shows no signs of missed payments for anyone either!

I hate worrying :( Makes me sick

Gary L
14-05-2009, 19:49
Have you put their number in Google?
Or even the postcode on the letter. was it a card/letter?

joglynne
14-05-2009, 20:05
Was there a business name on the letter? If Google doesn't throw any light on who or what they are then you could contact the Trading Standards office covering the firms address and see if they have anything on them.

As they had your address they would surely have sent any legal papers to you straight away rather than pussy footing about like this. If they actually named the other two people I would suspect that they are the ones that the company are really interested in.

Damien
14-05-2009, 20:09
There was no address on the paper in the letter, just the number. When I phoned the guy said the company name and they check out in that Google tells me they "specialize in customer relations" and "collecting cash, managing debt, sending a bill / account statement". (I don't want to type the name so this post doesn't get indexed in google along with my name)

I suspect they didn't send the letter to me right away in order to confirm the other addresses, maybe they suspected I wouldn't help them if I knew the contents? :(

Taf
14-05-2009, 20:14
We get calls all the time from various companies, banks and credit companies about Czech neighbours who moved out months ago... and even had burly guys knocking our door requesting their whereabouts.... often several days on the trot. I complained to the police but they say they can do nothing... unless threateneing behaviour was used.

joglynne
14-05-2009, 20:29
There was no address on the paper in the letter, just the number. When I phoned the guy said the company name and they check out in that Google tells me they "specialize in customer relations" and "collecting cash, managing debt, sending a bill / account statement". (I don't want to type the name so this post doesn't get indexed in google along with my name)

I suspect they didn't send the letter to me right away in order to confirm the other addresses, maybe they suspected I wouldn't help them if I knew the contents? :(

Well all that shrieks of a dodgy firm. I very much doubt whether a legitimate firm would have sent that type of letter without a proper letterhead. I suspect that their local Trading Standards office may well have this company in their records.

Damien
14-05-2009, 20:48
Well this company seems to operate nationally, after all they are operating cross county. My University was in Kent, I am in Essex. They definitely have a letter because not only were they correct in my former address and who lived with me and even the way the names were correct.

The former landlord only had my address, as he needed to send me my deposit. Which would explain how they got my address.

So, what could I expect from this letter? :(

joglynne
14-05-2009, 21:08
Not the faintest idea Damien. I realise that you want this sorted straight away but I fear you will just have to wait and see the contents of what ever 'letter' is forwarded to you.

As your ex-landlord knows your current address and repaid your deposit, it doesn't seem likely that you have any debts associated with him. Did you have any services that you were all jointly liable to pay? Would it be possible that the University is trying to contact you all? Did the three of you enter any competitions paying out vast amounts of money. :)

If you are sure that none of you left any debts behind then I would just try to stop worrying and don't buy into a problem that may very well not exist.

Damien
14-05-2009, 21:14
Not the faintest idea Damien. I realise that you want this sorted straight away but I fear you will just have to wait and see the contents of what ever 'letter' is forwarded to you.

As your ex-landlord knows your current address and repaid your deposit, it doesn't seem likely that you have any debts associated with him. Did you have any services that you were all jointly liable to pay? Would it be possible that the University is trying to contact you all? Did the three of you enter any competitions paying out vast amounts of money. :)

If you are sure that none of you left any debts behind then I would just try to stop worrying and don't buy into a problem that may very well not exist.

I am not sure we didn't leave debts behind, bills are paid quarterly (we pay them, not the landlord) and there is a chance we missed one that did not get forwarded on to us. It is the case that all 3 of us were jointly responsible for some bills so I heavily suspect it is this. Although the fact it's 2 years since we left that house makes me wonder...

Also, if it is debt collectors, will the letter give us a chance to pay and how much do they add to the initial amount? Do we have a case that none of letters got onto us?

joglynne
14-05-2009, 21:21
Stop winding yourself up. I am sure that if this is about an unpaid bill, and it would presumably be for a relatively small amount, you would be given the opportunity to clear it. I also doubt that there are debt collectors involed as I am sure they would not be using a third party to contact you.

Damien
14-05-2009, 21:32
Stop winding yourself up. I am sure that if this is about an unpaid bill, and it would presumably be for a relatively small amount, you would be given the opportunity to clear it. I also doubt that there are debt collectors involed as I am sure they would not be using a third party to contact you.

I just worry a lot ;) I do suspect it's a bill as the way the described the names were the same as the joint bills (one of us used their middle name). Thanks for the info though, calms me down :tu:

Pia
15-05-2009, 00:20
Well all that shrieks of a dodgy firm. I very much doubt whether a legitimate firm would have sent that type of letter without a proper letterhead. I suspect that their local Trading Standards office may well have this company in their records.

I got a card through my door once for an ex boyfriend from MBNA which sounds like the one Damien describes, i too thought it was a little suspicious but since it was a local rate number i gave them a call and told them i had no idea what or who they were talking about.

I tend to do that automatically nowadays :D I have my script prepared everytime the phone rings, it's almost disappointing when it's not a debt collector :LOL:

nffc
15-05-2009, 01:14
I wouldn't have called it - anything which tells me to spend my money to ring a number isn't worth it.

tweetypie/8
16-05-2009, 23:08
Hi, I got a strange letter today which simply asked me to phone a number. I did so, and got informed that this company where trying to forward some mail from an old student address from a few years ago.

He wanted to know how to contact the other 2 people the letter's were addressed too. So I gave this guys number to those 2 people.

Now I am quite worried though, Why didn't they send my mail to me right away instead sending the message to contact them? Also why is someone was focused on contacting us. Has anyone had this before, any idea what it could be?:(

youve been conned m8,should have known better.

Damien
16-05-2009, 23:12
youve been conned m8,should have known better.

Don't see how I have been conned, they got no additional information off me they didn't know already and had the correct address and names of my student house.