PDA

View Full Version : Sending NTL e-mail from Virgin Phone

stevep2480
10-05-2009, 19:44
Can anyone please help?
I followed the specific instructions for my phone (the LG Shine) on the Virgin web site, explaining how to set my phone up for sending / receiving e-mail on my ntl e-mail accounts.

I have had no problems receiving e-mails, but can't send any !. Each time the phone shows anything up to 20% sent, then "sending failed retry?".
A few days ago I was getting "authentication failed", but haven't seen that for a few days now.

These are the settings

Data account
Name field enter Packet Data
In the APN field enter goto.virginmobile.uk

In the User ID enter user, if required.
In the Password enter , if required.
[ I have tried my user name and e-mail password in these, and tried leaving them blank - either way in makes no difference

Setting up the Email profile
Scroll to, and select, Packet Data
Scroll to, and select, Email account.

In the Incoming mail server enter imap.ntlworld.com
In the User name field enter the account username.
In the Password field enter the account password.
In the Outgoing mail server enter smtp.virgin.net
Press Options and select Advanced settings.
In Protocol type select IMAP [ I have IMAP4 , there isn't an IMAP option]
Press Save.

I have tried with outgoing mail authentication on and off. Either way no difference

Many thanks in advance ;)

DRZ400
10-05-2009, 20:49
Try the t-Mobile smtp server 'smtp.t-email.co.uk' and don't use security.

stevep2480
11-05-2009, 08:19
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that, but same problem, sending gets to 20% then fails asking do I want to retry.

Graham M
11-05-2009, 08:35
Virgin Mobile dont provide an SMTP server unfortunately

stevep2480
11-05-2009, 12:46
Virgin Mobile dont provide an SMTP server unfortunately

Ok So why do Virgin say input "smtp.virgin.net" for the outgoing server ?

DRZ400
11-05-2009, 13:59
All you need is your email address, username, password, and the smtp and pop server.

Get your pop server off your computers email, the smtp server will be smtp.t-email.co.uk with no authentication.

Please note, phones check for incoming mail first, if it can't connect, the it will fail giving you the error message.

Graham M
11-05-2009, 14:21
Ok So why do Virgin say input "smtp.virgin.net" for the outgoing server ?

No clue, thats the SMTP for Virgin.net ADSL as far as I know, which if it's anything like the VM servers won't accept outgoing email from you if it's not coming from the ISP in question

stevep2480
11-05-2009, 16:39
All you need is your email address, username, password, and the smtp and pop server.

Get your pop server off your computers email, the smtp server will be smtp.t-email.co.uk with no authentication.

Please note, phones check for incoming mail first, if it can't connect, the it will fail giving you the error message.

Thanks for that but it didn't work !
Changed advanced settings protocol type to POP3 from IMAP4 (the only 2 options).
incoming pop.ntlworld.com
outgoing smtp.t-email.co.uk same as before though! can download a test message sent via laptop but can't send anything off the phone.

AndyCambs
11-05-2009, 20:05
would it be any use to transfer your Virgin/NTL mails to googlemail, and then use that?

stevep2480
12-05-2009, 17:57
would it be any use to transfer your Virgin/NTL mails to googlemail, and then use that?

It may well be!

Just spoke to Virgin Media

They said in the smtp server space on the mobile phone you enter

your phone number@vmobil.com
or
your phone numer@vxtras.com

Neither works !

AndyCambs
12-05-2009, 18:54
It may well be!

Just spoke to Virgin Media

They said in the smtp server space on the mobile phone you enter

your phone number@vmobil.com
or
your phone numer@vxtras.com

Neither works !

I collect all NTL mails into Googlemail through POP3, then either read them through the web (at work) or IMAP into Outlook at home. Benefits are that the spam settings are superior on Googlemail, both laptop and desktop are sychronised with the folders set up in googlemail on the web.

You can also set to send mail from which ever address as default you want.

stevep2480
12-05-2009, 20:20
Cheers for that

Done alot of reading on line tonight. Seems I am not alone in having difficulties accessing ntl mail through virgin mobile.

I noticed tonight their (Virgin) settings options for my phone have changed. (The LG Shine). The web site now is saying just use smtp.ntlworld.com

plainly incorrect given what I have found and many others in this and other forums!

DRZ400
12-05-2009, 20:57
You cannot use any other free SMTP server than smtp.t-email.co.uk.

All ISPs lock down their free SMTP servers to prevent people from using them for spamming.... if you're connected to the network you can use their server, if you're not, you can't.

I can guarantee smtp.ntlworld.com will fail dismally.

stevep2480
14-05-2009, 16:56
GIVEN UP ON NTL AND VIRGIN!!:mad:

Using an old freeuk account

sending and receiving by mobile (on Virgin working fine!):)
using
pop.freeuk.net
and
relay.freeuk.net

chunkeymonkey
26-05-2009, 20:06
GIVEN UP ON NTL AND VIRGIN!!:mad:

Using an old freeuk account

sending and receiving by mobile (on Virgin working fine!):)
using
pop.freeuk.net
and
relay.freeuk.net

We do not support outgoing email via smtp im afraid! Seems a bit silly and we are currently working on an integrated souloution for this!

stevep2480
26-05-2009, 20:30
We do not support outgoing email via smtp im afraid! Seems a bit silly and we are currently working on an integrated souloution for this!

I assume you work for or are connected to Virgin ? If so then, why do instruction on your web site say use smtp.virgin.net ?

chunkeymonkey
26-05-2009, 20:54
I assume you work for or are connected to Virgin ? If so then, why do instruction on your web site say use smtp.virgin.net ?

Im not sure where you have seen this? Is it possible for you to send me the link??

I will look into it for you.

However I am afraid it wont change the fact we don't support email!

stevep2480
27-05-2009, 12:28
Im not sure where you have seen this? Is it possible for you to send me the link??

I will look into it for you.

However I am afraid it wont change the fact we don't support email!

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/setup3gAndGprs.do?contentId=setting.up.3g.gprs.how doi.sm101
....... takes you to the page where you select your phone. I select LG shine. Enter e-mail address (xxxxxx@ntlworld.com)
This a paste from the page (no direct url for it)

chunkeymonkey
27-05-2009, 13:58
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/setup3gAndGprs.do?contentId=setting.up.3g.gprs.how doi.sm101
....... takes you to the page where you select your phone. I select LG shine. Enter e-mail address (xxxxxx@ntlworld.com)
This a paste from the page (no direct url for it)

Many thanks, I will look into!