PDA

View Full Version : o2 scam?

SB_07
08-05-2009, 01:39
Not sure if this should go here, so change it if needed!

I was checking my bank statement online earlier and noticed that two £15.00 payments had gone out to o2 (who i have no dealings with)

So obviously i sent my bank a secure message online about it etc

Anyway i have been looking around the web and have noticed this has happened to alot of people over the past 2 or so years, quite a few people have had it happen to them in the past couple of days.

So would prob be a good idea to check your statements!

From what i can work out after reading some stories is that the fraudsters make these smallish transactions to 'test' the card, to see if it's live.

I'm also starting to think that shopto DID leak CC info and tried to fob me off by saying they didn't, just to keep me as a customer.

SB_07
08-05-2009, 15:39
Just phoned my bank to tell them (as i'd had no reply from the secure message)

The bloke i spoke to said he'd already had a call today from someone about the o2 fraud. So looks like it really is common.

Russ
08-05-2009, 15:41
Thanks for the heads up :tu:

dragon
10-05-2009, 12:57
Wasn't prepay topups by any chance?

Seems to be one of the first things fraudsters try to buy once they get your card details, I know someone who had their card cloned by a device on a Cash machine and pre-pay topups were the first thing they noticed on their bank statement.

Down the Pub
10-05-2009, 18:34
Not sure if this should go here, so change it if needed!

I was checking my bank statement online earlier and noticed that two £15.00 payments had gone out to o2 (who i have no dealings with)

So obviously i sent my bank a secure message online about it etc

Anyway i have been looking around the web and have noticed this has happened to alot of people over the past 2 or so years, quite a few people have had it happen to them in the past couple of days.

So would prob be a good idea to check your statements!

From what i can work out after reading some stories is that the fraudsters make these smallish transactions to 'test' the card, to see if it's live.

I'm also starting to think that shopto DID leak CC info and tried to fob me off by saying they didn't, just to keep me as a customer.

well i'd say that it is someone upto no good, i've got 2 mobiles/ mobile dongle with o2 and used to have broadband with them to. always spot on the money with no overcharging or cock-up's on the bills - unlike another company not to far away to mention.

were they card payments or dd? card more likely although i would have thought it's not within the realms of impossibility to start a phoney dd. see if the bank can trace where they went to. have the bank said if they will cover you if you show them that it's been a fraudulent transaction?

SB_07
11-05-2009, 15:17
Wasn't prepay topups by any chance?

Seems to be one of the first things fraudsters try to buy once they get your card details, I know someone who had their card cloned by a device on a Cash machine and pre-pay topups were the first thing they noticed on their bank statement.

Yes, was prepay top ups. Looks like they test cards by topping up.