PDA

View Full Version : Port number from Virgin to replace current Post Office number and port that to Vonage

koru
07-05-2009, 20:58
I currently have phone lines with Virgin and the Post Office (ie, a line that used to be BT). I want to port my Virgin number to replace my current number on the PO line, and port the old PO number simultaneously to Vonage.

I just called the PO to discuss this and they said I should start by calling Virgin to cancel my line and ask them to port the number to PO. However, other posts here have said that if I cancel my Virgin line the number cannot be ported. So, should I be asking the PO to make the port request to Virgin? Will that automatically be taken by Virgin to constitute notice to terminate my contract with them, or do I also have to give notice at some point?

PO told me that once the number has come under their control, they will give me a date for when the new number will become active and at point I can then ask Vonage to make the port request to PO for my old PO number. Does that sound right? I am worried that I might lose one of the numbers.

dave_dph
08-05-2009, 06:39
PO told me that once the number has come under their control, they will give me a date for when the new number will become active and at point I can then ask Vonage to make the port request to PO for my old PO number. Does that sound right? I am worried that I might lose one of the numbers.

Sounds wrong to me. Once the VM number ports to the PO the existing number on the PO line will be lost.

I might be wrong but I believe you would have to

Port from PO to Vonage - which will terminate the PO line
Reconnect the PO line and arrange the number port from VM

I can't see another way of doing it.

Have you checked out voipfone.co.uk? You might find them cheaper than vonage.

koru
08-05-2009, 08:41
Thanks. I was thinking that I could port out first, terminating the PO line, then reconnect and port in from VM. But the PO line carries my ADSL (which is with o2) and I am worried that this would go down or, worse, that I might be deemed to have terminated my o2 contract.

dave_dph
08-05-2009, 09:01
Would you not be better with cable broadband and port both numbers to voip? No need to pay for landline at all. Thats what I have done for the last couple of years.

koru
08-05-2009, 09:38
I don't think VM are reliable enough to do this. If they have a technical problem, I would lose my broadband and both phone lines.

I did have VM cable broadband, but it was incredibly slow. I spent several weeks trying to get VM to fix this, but got nowhere. After being ignored by them for two weeks, I lost patience and cancelled the broadband.

dave_dph
08-05-2009, 09:45
I don't think VM are reliable enough to do this. If they have a technical problem, I would lose my broadband and both phone lines.

I did have VM cable broadband, but it was incredibly slow. I spent several weeks trying to get VM to fix this, but got nowhere. After being ignored by them for two weeks, I lost patience and cancelled the broadband.

Did you use the newsgroup support? They are far better than speaking to someone on the phone, You can submit diagnostics and they can identify the problem faster and more accurately than phone support.

When I had speed problems recently the diagnostics pointed to a problem with the modem. They sent me a new one out within about 3 days, problem resolved.

If you reconnected you would have a 28 day period in which to cancel if you wasn't happy. You should get the latest modem as well.

koru
08-05-2009, 09:56
I used email support, sending them speedtests, ping results, netstats, etc. They told me it was a modem problem and sent me a new one, but it made not the slightest difference. It was at that point they started ignoring me - they seemed to give up, as the new modem had not fixed the problem.

dave_dph
08-05-2009, 10:07
I used email support, sending them speedtests, ping results, netstats, etc. They told me it was a modem problem and sent me a new one, but it made not the slightest difference. It was at that point they started ignoring me - they seemed to give up, as the new modem had not fixed the problem.

I have always found the newsgroup support to be excellent, I take it you were posting in virginmedia.support.broadband.cable?

Don't know what else to suggest then, but I'm sure someone else will confirm that porting into the PO account will lose the number which is already assigned to it.

chickendippers
08-05-2009, 11:04
Email support goes to the same people you speak to on the phone AFAIK. Newsgroups are staffed by second level techs, definitely worth a look.
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/cable/newsgroups/

BenMcr
08-05-2009, 14:15
There is nothing Virgin can do to force a Port. It has to come from the provider that wants the number.

So for what you want to do it will be all down to the Post Office and Vonage. Virgin will just release the number to whoever asks for it and when they ask for it

koru
08-05-2009, 17:48
Thanks, BenMcr. You have confirmed what I thought. Do you know if the port request is treated by VM as notice to cancel or do I need to do this after the port request is made?

BenMcr
08-05-2009, 17:53
A port will cancel the phone only. If there any TV/BBI services seperate notice is needed

koru
08-05-2009, 18:14
Thanks. I only have phone with them.

I think I have come up with a good solution, as follows:
1 Get BT to install new line. They currently have a free installation offer.
2 Port VM number to new BT line.
3 Transfer my O2 ADSL to the new line (which might improve my ADSL speed, as I will get BT to put my new master socket right next to my router, so my ADSL will no longer have to run down an extension cable).
4 Port my existing PO number to Vonage.

Under this procedure, I don't need to worry about timing the ports to be simultaneous and there should be little risk of losing the numbers. And there should only be a short loss of ADSL while they transfer to the new number. I end up with a BT line instead of a PO line, but that's fine by me.