PDA

View Full Version : SKY HD Setup (Messed Up)

dannyboy91uk
07-05-2009, 02:44
Hello I am a newcomer to these forums and I would like some help on the case I had with Sky about the HD setup.

Sky came on Tuesday to setup HD, We originally had Sky + and a standard Sky box. The Sky + Box in my room and the standard box in the living room downstairs, I think we made it clear on the phone we didn't want another multiroom subscription or a swap box deal. My stepdad phoned Sky and explained he wanted a Sky HD box (No offers) full £150 or £200 paid for not the £50 offer because we are not liable for it anyway supposedly.

The engineers turned up in a red van not a Sky advertising van and quickly started pulling down the ladders from the van ready to get on with the work. One of the guys entered the house (Once I opened the door of course lol) I told him where the box was wanted, but once he saw the standard box, he said he was supposed to trade the Sky HD Box for my Sky + Box (That was after he asked if I had SKY +), which never came up in the agreement on the phone last week. So I refused and said it was to be setup downstairs for the standard one, Which he said it must of been a misunderstanding when we phoned for an upgrade.

So they agreed to set the HD box up downstairs and was messing about with the SKY dish and drilled a hole in the wall for the HDMI cable. I asked them before the packaging of the box was opened what the model of the Sky HD Box was and he replied an Amstrad so I politely asked if there was any other boxes I could possibly have, preferably Pace or Samsung he said unfortunately I don't but I have Thomson, So I accepted the Amstrad even though I wasn't too keen on that product.

With the amount of problems I have had with my SKY + box having an Amstrad version it has been a total nightmare. They linked my original viewing card into the SKY HD box, and said I should wait 4 hours for the HD and Premium channels to be confirmed on the box. So I waited and it never worked, so I now have this message everytime I try getting onto a Sky One HD channel to a Sky Movie - Sky Sports standard tv channel "This is the wrong card for this set top box. Insert the correct Sky viewing card" which is a big problem considering it's an extra £35 a month for no service.

I wasn't told I was getting a new viewing card the guy who came to setup the box said he would link my viewing card to the SKY HD Box and it should be working fine within 4 hours, It's fair to say it's been 2 days now. I have phoned SKY, and once again this guy on the opposite end of the telephone line said he would send a message or something, and I should wait between 2 minutes and 4 hours and it still didn't work.

I tried that twice now with no luck on both phonecalls. So at the moment we're stuck with an Average Hamstrad box, with no record function/Movie/Sports/HD channels besides Channel4 HD and BBC HD. My mother doesn't know the difference so it's hard for her to understand and i'm not clever about SKY I have just googled certain errors and which are the better boxes.

Manufacturer: Amstrad
Version: 4f3001
Epg: 5.10 K.H.D

There is a few questions I would like to ask by the way.

Do Sky have to send brand new boxes out to it's customers?
When setting HD up, does the engineer have to apply updates before leaving?
Should it be working fine by now?
Are the engineers entitled to try and swap the Sky HD Box for the Sky + Box (Or was they just trying to take advantage of a 17 year old)?
Could I exchange my box for a new Pace box?
If yes which should I ask for?
Would we be able to get free callout charge, considering we have only had HD installed for 2 days with so many channels still not enabled?
Should the engineer leave is phone number on the packaging box or on a piece of paper? Or do I have to ask for is phone number or name?

I have read about this Amstrad version, not having the new EPG yet either which I am slightly disappointed about. I am just not sure what to do to be honest?

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I am really sorry if something similar has been posted on this forum, I have not managed to read a great deal, I’m not spamming or trying to revive old threads.

Paul K
07-05-2009, 12:18
The engineer should have forced a software update before leaving to make sure the box has the current software loaded. This can still be done via the interactive menus on the sky box.
It should be working within 24 hours of installation with all channels, if the channels are not coming through either something is wrong on the sytem or something is wrong on the box.
No you can't force them to give you a different box, if the box is faulty the engineer will switch it out with what he has bought out on his van. If the installation has not been done properly or the unit is not working you should not face any call out charges as it's not your fault it isn't working.
The different boxes are being sent the new EPG seperately due to server load etc, your box will get it's EPG soon along with all other Amstrad users.
If your box is saying incorrect card in use then someone has not linked the card to the box at the sky database end, call em up and complain and tell them if it's not working within the next 4 hours you want an engineer out to sort it once and for all. If they drag their heels ask to be put through to customer relations.