PDA

View Full Version : Snoring, how to live with it!

lucy7
05-05-2009, 22:54
Right...
My man is the biggest snorer ever!

He has done all the usual things, nose strips, pegs, pillow over his head!

Has been to the quacks, told to loose weight, and he has big time!
Still snores for Britain!

As I need to actually function in my normal day I need my sleep, but not getting much apart from when we sleep in seperate rooms.
Not ideal of course, anyone know what I can do to get a good nights sleep??
Apart from divorce......................

superbiatch
05-05-2009, 22:56
Apart from divorce......................

Thats what it came to with me :shocked:

(I really can't imagine sharing my bed with someone on a permanent basis ever again!)

The Hitman
05-05-2009, 22:59
Tell him to hold in his breath for 10mins.Problem solved.:D

homealone
05-05-2009, 23:01
Have you tried ear plugs, Lucy? - Mrs Gaz & I can each snore for Britain & we both find a couple of chunks of wax up the lughole help a lot, when necessary :)

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=6330&callingViewName=&categoryId=3934&langId=-1&catalogId=10552

Angua
05-05-2009, 23:12
Make him work night shifts! :D

Works for us! :rofl:

Alternatively get him to a sleep clinic where they can diagnose the cause & then hopefully solve the problem.

Maggy
05-05-2009, 23:20
Ear plugs, your insurance of a good nights sleep...Failing that, make him sleep in the spare bedroom.;)

DRZ400
05-05-2009, 23:27
My ex used to hold my mouth and nose shut because she accused me of snoring.

Horrible thing to do. Unfortunately she tried to do it when I was wide wake and NOT making a noise when she thought I was asleep, she got launched across the room for her effort. Didn't do it again.

To this day I don't know why she'd do it.

Jimmy-J
05-05-2009, 23:37
Use this, it works every time!

http://pro.corbis.com/images/CB006490.jpg?size=572&uid={52ca0e1c-3a01-4e78-8175-5afb04b676a2}

LondonRoad
05-05-2009, 23:41
My ex-wife was a teeth grinder which I think is even worse.... thus the ex bit ;)

Gary L
05-05-2009, 23:44
Right...
My man is the biggest snorer ever!

He has done all the usual things, nose strips, pegs, pillow over his head!

Holding the pillow over his head won't help. you need to put it over his face and hold it there. he'll eventually go dead quiet :)

What about sleeping at opposite ends of the bed? :)

DRZ400
05-05-2009, 23:51
My ex-wife was a teeth grinder which I think is even worse.... thus the ex bit ;)

Another ex did this ALL night ... Her teeth were flat at 23.

Horrible sound.

Jimmy-J
06-05-2009, 02:39
My other half does all of the above whilst at the same time farting. Hence the reason I'm online until the early hours.

superbiatch
06-05-2009, 08:59

I do or did that :erm: They tried to give me a gum-shield when I was 15 but i couldn't stand sleeping with it in. I don't think i do it so much now as I used to wake up with an aching jaw - maybe its stress related :)

southwell
06-05-2009, 09:04
Have you tried these: http://www.breatheright.co.uk/

Not sure if they help though, ive never used them. Im a talker, not a snorer. :D

Russ
06-05-2009, 09:08
Nasal strips, sprays, 'anti-snoring' pillows, they're all gimmicks that don't work.

Take it from me - I snore loud enough to set off car alarms.

I'm currently undergoing medical treatment for it so I have an idea of the situation.

First of all, when hubby sleeps (and snores) are there any times when it appears as if he stops breathing?

Ravenheart
06-05-2009, 09:09
Angua's sleep clinic recommendation is a good one, they have a Doctor from a local sleep clinic on the local BBC radio now and then, he says many cases can be sorted quite easily.

lucy7
06-05-2009, 10:39
Nasal strips, sprays, 'anti-snoring' pillows, they're all gimmicks that don't work.

Take it from me - I snore loud enough to set off car alarms.

I'm currently undergoing medical treatment for it so I have an idea of the situation.

First of all, when hubby sleeps (and snores) are there any times when it appears as if he stops breathing?

Yes, but only when I hold his notrils and shut his mouth when hes sleeping!!
The sound he makes when I let go is amazing :)

He has been diagnosed with a low style sleep apnea. He was told to lose weight, did and it got better but of course he did not stop, now hes back to his old ways again.

I have now come home for a nap, as I hardly slept last night or the night before.

No spare beds in the house, as the kids are sort of around still. When we have a spare bed, he goes in it!

I am so tired all the time at present, due to the lack of sleep.
I get tetchy, and snapped at a stranger in the supermarket yesterday, I am sure I did it as I was so knackered, not my style normally to be rude!

Have tried ear plugs, but he is so loud, I still can hear him.

We go away next week on holiday, we have had to pay loads more than we wanted to, to book an apartment, as we have to have a two bedroomed one.

Am I doomed????

Russ
06-05-2009, 10:45
Sleep apnea......tell me about it...... :dozey:

If he has apnea then losing weight isn't necessarily the answer - I'm well within my BMI index but my apnea rating is 19 (I stop breathing 19 times an hour while asleep).

If his rating is lower then they recommend a mandibular splint (http://www.sleeppro.com/html/oral_appliances.html) which is like a double gumshield, it holds the jaw forward (giving the wearer a bit of an underbite) and stops the blockages. It's cheaper than the CPAP device I need (over £400 but thankfully free on the NHS) and has a high success rating.

papa smurf
07-05-2009, 17:25
i go away in my caravan some weekends and i snore for England, so i bought a load of foam ear plugs for any one who wants them ,i have tried all those snoring remedies :td: waste of money ..