PDA

View Full Version : Install location question

broadbandchappie
05-05-2009, 11:37
Hello all,

I am due to get virgin cable installed next week for broadband and phone. The flat is a 1st floor conversion victorian. There is already a box and cable going to one of my flatmates rooms that looks out onto the street. This was installed when my flatmates tried to get virgin a while ago and cancelled it due to continous problems with CS and broadband not working correctly.

I plumped for the self install option given the cable being present but received an email from virgin saying that an engineer would have to do the install. Not sure why, may be due to previous problems.

My flatmate does not want the broadband and phone in her room. Is the engineer able to install the cable to a different room. The only rooms that look onto the street are bedrooms so would the engineer be able to run a cable along the outside of the house to our living room and drill in a box there?

What is virgin's policy about install locations? Is there a constraint to where they can put it?

Many thanks for any advice you are able to give.

MovedGoalPosts
05-05-2009, 12:39
If they are sending an engineer, that is to make sure the cables and stuff are operating correctly. They should be able to run the installation to any location you choose within reason. The greatest difficulties are caused by working at height off ladders, drilling through ceilings and entering roofspaces.

If the property is a flat, you may be limited in the routing of cables by clauses in your lease.