PDA

View Full Version : Your neighbors!

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 21:04
well my neighbors act like there in skins 24/7 iv lived in the same house for 21 years and iv not heard anything like it, music is full blast morning to night!, they are always fighting and arguing, its making my step mum ill, they have only lived there for 2 years and iv had enough...
I had to get that off my chest!

Raistlin
03-05-2009, 21:11
Contact the council, or the police.

barby81
03-05-2009, 21:11
have you complained to your local council?

you could get an asbo on the family. :(

lucy7
03-05-2009, 21:12
Send the boys around...........................

(ok, did not mean it really!)

Very bad for you all, anyone know how to resolve it peacfully?

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 21:14
Contact the council, or the police.

we should really, we'll have to give it a couple of weeks because i dont want them to know it was me lol

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Send the boys around...........................

(ok, did not mean it really!)

Very bad for you all, anyone know how to resolve it peacfully?

there will be no way to resolve it peacefully, they don't listen.

Jon T
03-05-2009, 21:14
we should really, we'll have to give it a couple of weeks because i dont want them to know it was me lol

You want the Environmental Protection section. They'll deal with it under noise pollution law.

They'll quite likely need you to keep a noise diary, they also may want to put install some noise monitoring equipment in your house.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 21:17
You want the Environmental Protection section. They'll deal with it under noise pollution law.

They'll quite likely need you to keep a noise diary, they also may want to put install some noise monitoring equipment in your house.

that sounds like a good idea, do you have the number?

DRZ400
03-05-2009, 21:19
well my neighbors act like there in skins 24/7 iv lived in the same house for 21 years and iv not heard anything like it, music is full blast morning to night!, they are always fighting and arguing, its making my step mum ill, they have only lived there for 2 years and iv had enough...
I had to get that off my chest!

I know someone who've had the same problem, the cut the top off a Middlesex County Council letter, used a photocopier to create 'headed' paper and just wrote them a stern letter that appeared to be from environmental health stating they had received several complaints about noise.

Apparently, not a peep after that.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 21:23
I know someone who've had the same problem, the cut the top off a Middlesex County Council letter, used a photocopier to create 'headed' paper and just wrote them a stern letter that appeared to be from environmental health stating they had received several complaints about noise.

Apparently, not a peep after that.

even better idea lol

thanks for all ya help.

anyone have similar problems?

Gary L
03-05-2009, 21:24

The way this works is they get you to fill in diary sheets with times and what noise it was. they put sound monitoring stuff in your property, but they have to inform the other party that they are being monitored, and how long the monitoring will be for.
depending on how much monitoring ewuipment they have. you might only have it for one night.

If on the off chance that they don't keep the noise down on the day/s they know they are being monitored, it might go to court. where they will likely get a probation period to behave. this can take months and months.

Jon T
03-05-2009, 21:26
that sounds like a good idea, do you have the number?

Not for St Helens i've not.

I do work for Council, but it's in Nottinghamhire, lol!!

Look on a Council tax bill, it should gave a customer services number on it.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 21:27
The way this works is they get you to fill in diary sheets with times and what noise it was. they put sound monitoring stuff in your property, but they have to inform the other party that they are being monitored, and how long the monitoring will be for.
depending on how much monitoring ewuipment they have. you might only have it for one night.

If on the off chance that they don't keep the noise down on the day/s they know they are being monitored, it might go to court. where they will likely get a probation period to behave. this can take months and months.

they tell them that they are being monitored! ill monitor them myself with a sound recorder or something

Jon T
03-05-2009, 21:28

No they don't Gary. No obligiaton to inform the other party at all. I work closely with EP, especially when they want their noise investigation files downloading from the monitoring equipment, gives me time to ask a lot of questions and learn procedure.

Gary L
03-05-2009, 21:31
they tell them that they are being monitored! ill monitor them myself with a sound recorder or something

You could do but believe it or not it has to be all above board. they have rights too you know :)
Environmental Health's sound equipment measures decibels.

Jon T
03-05-2009, 21:33

Yes you could, but it would be useless, as the equipement they use will have it's recording levels calibrated and certified, and they'll also be using microphones that have a known pickup pattern.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 21:37
its driving me mad! the music is full throttle now so i might just call the police if it isn't turned down by 10

Gary L
03-05-2009, 21:41
No they don't Gary. No obligiaton to inform the other party at all. I work closely with EP, especially when they want their noise investigation files downloading from the monitoring equipment, gives me time to ask a lot of questions and learn procedure.

EP?
I'm sure they did have to. or it could be that they have to send them a letter about the unsociable behaviour and monitoring may be used.

I know that you can call them out and if they don't witness the noise and it goes to court then the defendant will know that it's you that made the complaint. unless they do witness it and then it will be them that are making the complaint.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 21:41
its driving me mad! the music is full throttle now so i might just call the police if it isn't turned down by 10

some time last week they had there music blaring at 12:30am! its not fair on the other neighbors as some are elderly

Jon T
03-05-2009, 21:47
EP?
I'm sure they did have to. or it could be that they have to send them a letter about the unsociable behaviour and monitoring may be used.

I know that you can call them out and if they don't witness the noise and it goes to court then the defendant will know that it's you that made the complaint. unless they do witness it and then it will be them that are making the complaint.

EP - Environmental Protection, can be called different names at different Councils.

Yes, if it goes to court and you testify as a witness then they'll know it's you, but if EP take it to court on you behalf then they can "anonymise" your statment.

Anyway, Frankie07, between 11pm and 7am there are various laws concerning noise that the police can enforce there and then, give them a call.

You may want to see if your other neighbours are willing to submit diary sheets, statements etc.

moaningmags
03-05-2009, 21:49
I had this problem during Christmas 1993 right into 1994, had enough of Whitney Houston I will always love you for days on end and called the police, ended up fighting with the numpty before the police arrived, while another neighbour held both our kids.

I was stupidly wearing tight denims and she got me down, I couldn't get up from under her as she was a big fat blob and weighed a ton. My nephew comes running out with a sweeping brush telling me to hit her with it, was soooo funny she managed to burst my nose the only one I've ever had and bit my finger, had to get a tetanus for that :shocked:

The police asked if I wanted her charged because of the bloody nose, I told them no cos we were both at fault for that, just get her to turn the damn music down. 3 minutes after they left she turned it back up again, phoned them back and they told her if I called them again they'd take her stereo, never heard it after that.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 21:53
EP - Environmental Protection, can be called different names at different Councils.

Yes, if it goes to court and you testify as a witness then they'll know it's you, but if EP take it to court on you behalf then they can "anonymise" your statment.

Anyway, Frankie07, between 11pm and 7am there are various laws concerning noise that the police can enforce there and then, give them a call.

You may want to see your other neighbours are willing to submit diary sheets, statements etc.

so during the day time they can have there music blaring as loud as they want?

i personally don't think the other neighbors will be bothered but ill have a word with them

Jon T
03-05-2009, 21:57
so during the day time they can have there music blaring as loud as they want?

i personally don't think the other neighbors will be bothered but ill have a word with them

No they can't! It's just that some things fall within part of the Law that the police can enforce on the spot, some things have to be dealt with through the court.

Have a look here: http://www.10db.co.uk/html/noise___nuisance.html

Infact typing "noise law" or "noise nuisance" into google may be a good idea.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 22:01
No they can't! It's just that some things fall within part of the Law that the police can enforce on the spot, some things have to be dealt with through the court.

Have a look here: http://www.10db.co.uk/html/noise___nuisance.html

Infact typing "noise law" or "noise nuisance" into google may be a good idea.

thanks for that learned alot.

DRZ400
03-05-2009, 22:02
From experience .. the best thing you can do is talk to them and explain the problem. If it continues, the gloves are off.

You will get this sorted.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 22:07
From experience .. the best thing you can do is talk to them and explain the problem. If it continues, the gloves are off.

You will get this sorted.

we have tried but they dont listen, well she was HIGH at the time.

DRZ400
03-05-2009, 22:26
If she was high at the time, she'll appreciate the favour being re-payed at 7AM everyday. i suggest "2 Unlimited" on repeat.

Sadly you're at the other end of the country as I'm looking at getting rid of an 800 watt amp that'll crack your walls on full tilt.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 22:32
If she was high at the time, she'll appreciate the favour being re-payed at 7AM everyday. i suggest "2 Unlimited" on repeat.

Sadly you're at the other end of the country as I'm looking at getting rid of an 800 watt amp that'll crack your walls on full tilt.

trust me she'll get whats coming lol, but i might make things worse but as people say an eye for an eye. lol

superbiatch
03-05-2009, 22:34
anyone have similar problems?

Yes unfortunately so and it probably ended my marriage!

You do need to contact environmental health 01744 456000 (general number, ask to be put through). They will want a breakdown so a diary of events is a must! A letter will be sent out initially saying 'someone' has complained but won't name you - hopefully this will sort it out.

If not, then continue with the diary and they will lend you recording equipment which they will install (unfortunately only for a period of a week IIRC) and you switch on when the music is on. By law they can play a reasonable level of music between 7am and 11pm, outside this is your best time to gain evidence.

A few more letters are then sent warning them and once they have enough evidence EP can prosecute. Thankfully I never got this far as my noisy neighbour moved out. But i feel for you, it almost sent me potty and turned me into a raving and aggressive mad woman, I almost physically assaulted him on a few occasions :erm:

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

trust me she'll get whats coming lol, but i might make things worse but as people say an eye for an eye. lol

I found Pink Floyd and 'Clocks' at 7am and full volume was very useful in this situation ;)

Gary L
03-05-2009, 22:35
Just found this.

I have been down this road. The Environmental Health Dept who were
recording the levels had to send out a letter under the Data Protection
act to all parties telling them what was going on.

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 22:35
Yes unfortunately so and it probably ended my marriage!

You do need to contact environmental health 01744 456000 (general number, ask to be put through). They will want a breakdown so a diary of events is a must! A letter will be sent out initially saying 'someone' has complained but won't name you - hopefully this will sort it out.

If not, then continue with the diary and they will lend you recording equipment which they will install (unfortunately only for a period of a week IIRC) and you switch on when the music is on. By law they can play a reasonable level of music between 7am and 11pm, outside this is your best time to gain evidence.

A few more letters are then sent warning them and once they have enough evidence EP can prosecute. Thankfully I never got this far as my noisy neighbour moved out. But i feel for you, it almost sent me potty and turned me into a raving and aggressive mad woman, I almost physically assaulted him on a few occasions :erm:

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

I found Pink Floyd and 'Clocks' at 7am and full volume was very useful in this situation ;)

i think mariah carey - hero would annoy them haha

thanks for the number. im turning into the aggressive mad man today haha

DRZ400
03-05-2009, 22:55
Out of interest ... I take it you live in a terraced house, are the walls brick single or double skinned, or plaster board?

iFrankie
03-05-2009, 22:59
Out of interest ... I take it you live in a terraced house, are the walls brick single or double skinned, or plaster board?

yeah a council house, and its brick single. i might save up for sound proof walls lol

superbiatch
03-05-2009, 23:02
yeah a council house, and its brick single. i might save up for sound proof walls lol

I tried going down the route of the walls weren't sound insulated as well as they should have been (new house, semi detached with NHBC cover) - they said it was sufficient.

Chances are yours will be also, just need to shut the neighbours up ;)

Jon T
03-05-2009, 23:24

If it's a council house, then get in contact with your housing officer, sounds like they could breaching thier tenancy agreement.

Gary, regarding the Data Protection Act, I find what you have found hard to believe. It's the same as saying that the police need to inform a suspect when they contact a phone company or ISP for details regarding them.

Don't believe everything you read on the 'net, not all of it is true;)

Gary L
03-05-2009, 23:52
Gary, regarding the Data Protection Act, I find what you have found hard to believe. It's the same as saying that the police need to inform a suspect when they contact a phone company or ISP for details regarding them.

Don't believe everything you read on the 'net, not all of it is true;)

The DPA is irrelevant to criminal prosecution/investigation :)

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 00:04
right its still going on. i rang the police and they are going to sort it out, the police woman gave me a reference number to give to the council, im abit scared now in case i get jumped

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 00:06
right its still going on. i rang the police and they are going to sort it out, the police woman gave me a reference number to give to the council, im abit scared now in case i get jumped

The law is on your side, you have to stand up to these bullies. Are any of your other neighbours affected?

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 00:10
great just got another call from them, they cannot do much about it, they just said ring the council up tomoz and write a diary lol, you all told me to do that

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 00:11
great just got another call from them, they cannot do much about it, they just said ring the council up tomoz and write a diary lol, you all told me to do that

How about other neighbours? Also, is it a housing trust house? If so, which one?

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 00:11
The law is on your side, you have to stand up to these bullies. Are any of your other neighbours affected?

Im not sure if any are affected but im sure they are, the music has stopped now.. they are jumping and banging on walls

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 00:12
How about other neighbours? Also, is it a housing trust house? If so, which one?

Arena Housing Association

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 00:14
Arena Housing Association

http://www.arena-housing.com/arena/content/631/tackling-anti-social-behaviour-and-harrassment.aspx

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 00:16
http://www.arena-housing.com/arena/content/631/tackling-anti-social-behaviour-and-harrassment.aspx

oh brilliant thanks superbiatch ill fill it in now

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 00:17
oh brilliant thanks superbiatch ill fill it in now

btw, thanks for the rep. I only know all this cos i've been through it all before. Good luck!

Gary L
04-05-2009, 00:22

You could always tell them that you think there's drug dealing going on, or they've just dragged a girl off the street into the house :)

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 00:36
btw, thanks for the rep. I only know all this cos i've been through it all before. Good luck!

no probs i need the luck lol its started again! anyway not gonna keep going on about it, iv filled in the form and hopefully someone will ring tomoz

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 00:41
no probs i need the luck lol its started again! anyway not gonna keep going on about it, iv filled in the form and hopefully someone will ring tomoz

Remember its Bank Holiday - so maybe not til Tuesday. Be persistant tho!

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 00:42
Remember its Bank Holiday - so maybe not til Tuesday. Be persistant tho!

oh yeah i forgot about that, this is making me ill i can feel it the musics 10x louder now, id ring the police again but they wont do nothing.

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 00:47
oh yeah i forgot about that, this is making me ill i can feel it the musics 10x louder now, id ring the police again but they wont do nothing.

They will if you continue ringing them, tell them you'll go round yourself and sort it out if they won't (tends to get them out ;))

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 00:56
They will if you continue ringing them, tell them you'll go round yourself and sort it out if they won't (tends to get them out ;))

nope they will not do a thing! they just said that to me, police once again let you down

Gary L
04-05-2009, 01:00
nope they will not do a thing! they just said that to me, police once again let you down

If you tell them there's going to be a 'breach of the peace' (by you going around there to kick someones head in) they'll have to come out.

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 01:03
If you tell them there's going to be a 'breach of the peace' (by you going around there to kick someones head in) they'll have to come out.

Prescisely! Keep on at them!

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 01:04
Prescisely! Keep on at them!

she said that it was wasting police time.

moaningmags
04-05-2009, 01:05
If they said that to me, I'd say "fine, I'll just take my hammer over and deal with it myself" :)

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 01:05
If they said that to me, I'd say "fine, I'll just take my hammer over and deal with it myself" :)

i wish i had the courage to do that lol or atleast scream and shout at them

Gary L
04-05-2009, 01:09

LOL is that 999 or the local station?
if it's the local then call 999. there's no way they would let a potential breach of the peace go by without comeback if you were to carry the threat out.

I'd just tell her you've had enough and you are going to commit suicide.

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 01:11

Are they not there to provide a service to you?! Are you ringing 0151 709 6010??

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 01:14
Are they not there to provide a service to you?! Are you ringing 0151 709 6010??

that's the exact number i rang, the music has gone off now PRAISE THE LORD!

Gary L
04-05-2009, 01:17
that's the exact number i rang, the music has gone off now PRAISE THE LORD!

With any luck they might start fighting each other now. go and move your car :)

DRZ400
04-05-2009, 01:20
Don't go round with violence in mind or you'll end up in court. Fightings not fun and it really hurts.

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

PRAISE THE LORD!

Hallelujah.

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 01:21
Don't go round with violence in mind or you'll end up in court. Fightings not fun and it really hurts.

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

Hallelujah.

Ahmen lol

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 01:21

I don't think he intended to, just a ploy to get the fuzz out.

Gary L
04-05-2009, 01:29
I don't think he intended to, just a ploy to get the fuzz out.

God, you're so common :)

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 01:34
God, you're so common :)

haha oh you lower class people haha only joking

frogstamper
04-05-2009, 01:59
You certainly have my sympathy Frankie, these scumbags sound an absolute nightmare.
As said mate keep a diary of every noise they make and when, nowadays councils and housing associations are taking this sort of "torture" a lot more seriously.
Also have a word with the other neighbours, chances are they are just as pee'd off with these morons as you are and it'll look a lot better in a complaint as well.
People like this don't deserve to live amongst decent people, the council should house them in a barn somewhere with a bit of straw for them to fight over, they are the lowest of the low.
Anyway good luck mate, at least now you know by following the right procedure your on your way to getting rid of them.

iFrankie
04-05-2009, 04:25
You certainly have my sympathy Frankie, these scumbags sound an absolute nightmare.
As said mate keep a diary of every noise they make and when, nowadays councils and housing associations are taking this sort of "torture" a lot more seriously.
Also have a word with the other neighbours, chances are they are just as pee'd off with these morons as you are and it'll look a lot better in a complaint as well.
People like this don't deserve to live amongst decent people, the council should house them in a barn somewhere with a bit of straw for them to fight over, they are the lowest of the low.
Anyway good luck mate, at least now you know by following the right procedure your on your way to getting rid of them.

thanks frogstamper

---------- Post added at 03:25 ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 ----------

well it turned out that there mum was out for the day! she just came home (drunk lol) and went ballistic her son must of made a mess. so now its turned into a domestic lol

WHISTLED
04-05-2009, 05:03
Oh my god this is my life!!!

Privately owned semi detached starts off with the music, then around 4am FIGHT TIME!!!

I went out tonight and left sky radio on full blast... Damn sky for switching on standby at 1am!!

Wayfair
04-05-2009, 08:58
You will find loads of help from loads of people in the same position as you on the Neighbours From Hell in Britain forum http://www.nfh.org.uk

They will tell you what you can and more importantly can't do... you will also find all the support you need as mentioned in this thread neighbours from hell will destroy any sanity you have left..

Good Luck.

alferret
04-05-2009, 09:37
Dont you just hate scummy neighbours like that. And for the police to do nothing (as per) what do we pay them for? Once upon a time if you phoned the police about continual noise nuisance they would send a car round and log it, now all night poker games and feet up watching TV seems to be the norm (and no I'm not tarring all police with the same brush just some)

Maggy
04-05-2009, 09:47
I had some noisy neighbours who played reggae for several days at a time at full volume in their garden throughout one summer.

In the end my nearest neighbour went to the council's website and got some info on how to complain about noise nuisance...Someone scanned it into the PC, printed off two dozen copies and posted them through all the neighbours houses.

We got a letter from the council saying they were monitoring the situation.Funnily we never heard another peep out of them and not long afterwards they left having been kicked out by their very annoyed landlord.

I think the sheer number of complaints was enough to get the council to deal with it pronto.

I'm not saying it will work but it can't do any harm to try the same thing.:tu:

Turkey Machine
04-05-2009, 21:21

LMAO! That's gold! :D

superbiatch
04-05-2009, 21:30
LMAO! That's gold! :D

That was my fave, but in a close second place was M'Julie by Ali G at top volume as his gf was called Julie and if they were having a barney we'd all hear him screaming at her :D I went out especially to buy a compilation CD just to annoy him.

iFrankie
08-08-2009, 21:20
wow i thought id have another rant, so the police came out a few weeks back but sadly i wasn't in the police must of gone round because im not hearing as much music but NOW! all they do is bang bang bang i might be paranoid but we have wooden floor boards and we cant help but make a lil bit of a din when walking but when we walk they bang!! oh and to top it off 'she' came around last night at 2am! she came knocking on my door drunk 'can my brother use you drive'! so because i didn't want any trouble i said yes.

superbiatch
08-08-2009, 21:34
I'd have kicked off big time if someone knocked on my door at 2am unless it was a life or death situation! You can't let these people walk all over you Frankie. I know you only want a quiet life, but seriously by giving into them you are making their lives easier :erm:

iFrankie
08-08-2009, 21:40
I'd have kicked off big time if someone knocked on my door at 2am unless it was a life or death situation! You can't let these people walk all over you Frankie. I know you only want a quiet life, but seriously by giving into them you are making their lives easier :erm:

your right but when your on the spot like that you don't know what to say do ya i told them i want it gone by tomoz and she said it'll be gone by 6 which it was, i just hope they don't ask again, the police are on my side because they put a letter through the door about ASBO or something with a personal number i can ring anytime.