PDA

View Full Version : Cold called

Zhadnost
03-05-2009, 07:47
We got a very strange cold call a couple of nights ago from an indian woman who stated that she was 'working for virgin media'

She said that, Our number is registered with the Telephone preference service, and were they permitted to contact us in future by telephone with regards to marketting.

The wife duly told her where to go.

Is this common? Is it really virgin that's doing it? (The callerID was witheld).

BenMcr
03-05-2009, 10:23
If your number is registered with the TPS then that specifically means you CAN'T be contacted?!

What were they trying to offer you?

Ernie_C
03-05-2009, 10:26
If your number is registered with the TPS then that specifically means you CAN'T be contacted?!

You can be contacted by organisations that you have opted to hear from. Perhaps Virgin Media are trying to get their customers to take marketing/selling calls but this approach is not allowed. The OP could complain.

Gary L
03-05-2009, 10:29
I've heard this before where they asked if you would give them permission. it was Virgin media.
sounds silly really, asking you if it's ok to phone you up trying to get you to upgrade or something.

Zhadnost
03-05-2009, 10:58
Either way it was clearly explained that we do not appreciate marketting calls. (I don't know how many get stopped by being TPS registered, but we still get a few, and compain about all the ones who give their callerid).

They insisted on taking to the missus before telling her what it was about, so she'll probably complain.

Peter_
03-05-2009, 11:46
Either way it was clearly explained that we do not appreciate marketting calls. (I don't know how many get stopped by being TPS registered, but we still get a few, and compain about all the ones who give their callerid).

They insisted on taking to the missus before telling her what it was about, so she'll probably complain.
Take full details from them by showing an interest then tell no you want no further calls from them and send the call details to the TPS.

Ravenheart
03-05-2009, 14:04
I had a similar call recently, stating she was calling from VM she then asked for the password on my account when I refused to give it to her, she said, well I can't continue the call, so I said Ok and hung up.

BenMcr
03-05-2009, 14:06
I have a feeling its to try get you to add the TV onto the services

Stuart
03-05-2009, 14:11

Apparently, they can get around TPS if you are already a customer. They just pretend there is a problem with your account. As Talk Talk did to me.

chickendippers
03-05-2009, 14:42
If you are a customer then the TPS doesn't apply and it's down to their internal marketing preferences.

SMG
03-05-2009, 17:00
It was quite a while ago, a guy with an Asian accent contacted me regarding my TV package. I made out it was a bad line & told him we didn't want double glazing, then hung up.:p::D

Zhadnost
04-05-2009, 08:19
I have a feeling its to try get you to add the TV onto the services

That is probably the case, we haven't even got the M TV atm. (which is apparently free on our package if we want it).

Musicman
04-05-2009, 08:44
I had this same call last week, saying as we are registered with the TPS, was it OK for Virgin Media to talk to me, which as a customer I thought was OK.

They then attempted to get me to take the free TV service that I am eligible for, they quoted my current monthly costs, so appeared very legit.

They were very persistent even though I told them I did not want it, as I have sky to my main TV, freesat to the bedroom one ands a freeview box for the other one. In fact I was getting really annoyed with his persistance, so I just told him no I did not want it and terminated the call.

Cannot see what is in it for them, having to install the free TV for people, other than I suspect a new contract, which would change my monthly payments, as I managed a good deal two years ago.