PDA

View Full Version : Named and shamed

papa smurf
29-04-2009, 17:47
"The cereals with more sugar than a bowl of ice cream"
you think you and your family are tucking into a healthy breakfast ? then read this:(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1174591/Named-shamed-The-cereals-sugar-bowl-ice-cream.html

Ramrod
29-04-2009, 18:39
This is not new news. Food manufacturers have been peddling us this sh*t for decades....:(

Turkey Machine
29-04-2009, 18:45
This is not new news. Food manufacturers have been peddling us this sh*t for decades....:(

My mum buys the Jordans oat cereals because she's trying to lower my dads cholestorol, and when I told her how much sugar was in it, she was gobsmacked! I said that if I was going to eat healthy breakfast, it'd be either toast or a bowl of cornflakes with a bit of sugar sprinkled on top. The cornflakes+sugar has far less sugar in it than the stuff most companies put in their cereals.

Charlie_Bubble
29-04-2009, 18:49
Wow, who would have though cereals with names which include words like choco and cookie would have lots of sugar in them! LOL

nomadking
29-04-2009, 18:51
Ice cream has more fat rather than sugar. Breakfast, is just that, breaking a fast, so having sugar content may actually be useful/important?

soup dragon
29-04-2009, 19:02
what is a serving of ice cream? it could be a whole tub for all we know, all it says is a bowl. i have 3 different size bowls in my cupboard.

punky
29-04-2009, 19:05
Shame Charlie and nomadking beat me to it. You need to put these things into context

1. The thing that makes ice cream especially bad is its fat content, not necessarily its sugar content. Fat content isn't mentioned here.

2. First thing in the morning a bump of sugar is actually quite sensible. Especially with a full day of exercise in front of you, I can't imagine much of it going unused and converted to fat.

3. If you eat a cereal which is frosted, based on chocolate or dripping with honey FFS of course it will have a high sugar content. Honey is 82% sugar.

What a non-story. Its obvious some hack half-read something and trying to make a shock expose out of it.

Paul
29-04-2009, 19:51
Frosties high in sugar, who would have thunk it. :rolleyes:

Mr_love_monkey
29-04-2009, 23:06
salt levels in cereals is much more interesting...

homealone
29-04-2009, 23:30
salt levels in cereals is much more interesting...

'real' salt - i.e sodium chloride, or 'salt equivalent' - i.e. sodium x 2.5 ?

Zee
29-04-2009, 23:33
My brother eats sugar puffs (hes 8), and with that name obviously anyone knows. since he'll be going to school he would be running around all day, plus that sugar will give him the energy he may need in the morning. it isn't a big deal since he cleans his teeth 2 times a day.

homealone
29-04-2009, 23:51
My brother eats sugar puffs (hes 8), and with that name obviously anyone knows. since he'll be going to school he would be running around all day, plus that sugar will give him the energy he may need in the morning. it isn't a big deal since he cleans his teeth 2 times a day.

imo you have to be careful - too much refined sugar can just give a 'rush' rather than a sustained source of energy.

Usually fibre, such as found in 'wholegrain' cereals, can mediate that 'rush' - so sugar puffs, which afaik are made from whole wheat, may not be so bad, despite the high sugar content.

The cereals which have removed fibre, then added sugar are the 'worst', but even they can be improved by adding back fibre such as quinoa or oat bran.

lauzjp
30-04-2009, 12:30
this type of story really gets my back up - not cos its lazy journalism, but because of the amount of people that will read it and be geniunely horrified - like they really didn't know / read the label as to the content of a product. :rolleyes:

Nidge
30-04-2009, 14:25
Ice cream has more fat rather than sugar. Breakfast, is just that, breaking a fast, so having sugar content may actually be useful/important?

Fat doesn't make you fat it's the carbohydrates in the food like sugar that turns to fat that makes you fat. The only bad fat is trans fat and hydrogenated fat, these fats have been linked to heart attacks and cancer, KFC stopped using trans fats last year.

A male needs 92grms of good fats a day to make his body function at a normal rate, 92grms of fat is a hell of a lot of fat to try and consume in a day.

It's a myth that fat makes you fat.

For breakfast your best having a warm breakfast than a cold breakfast, a cold breakfast will cause a insulin spike due to the sugar content, this will give you a high feeling followed by a period of tiredness and hunger, this is the insulin spike. When you have a warm breakfast like porridge which is low in sugar and salt you don't get that insulin spike plus it makes you feel fuller for longer.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

this type of story really gets my back up - not cos its lazy journalism, but because of the amount of people that will read it and be geniunely horrified - like they really didn't know / read the label as to the content of a product. :rolleyes:

A bit like the 99.9% fat free meals, what percentage of fat are they basing it on? Have a look at the nutrition information and see the trans fats, sugar and salt content. They dress foods up to make them look good and to fool the customer.

Scrubbs
30-04-2009, 15:35
so how much sugar and salt is in shredded wheat?

if the adverts are to be believed, none?

Turkey Machine
30-04-2009, 16:03
so how much sugar and salt is in shredded wheat?

if the adverts are to be believed, none?

No added sugar or added salt. Just what's in the refined dried wheat they package. ;)

Taf
30-04-2009, 16:17
I shudder when I see Dutch people having sugar/ chocolate /sprinkles sandwiches for breakfast

LondonRoad
30-04-2009, 16:20
This is a typical no sh*t Sherlock piece of journalism. The shock horror follow up may suggest that cider contains alcohol. :erm:

Mr_love_monkey
04-05-2009, 22:05
'real' salt - i.e sodium chloride, or 'salt equivalent' - i.e. sodium x 2.5 ?

either really - least they're more honest about the sodium these days and actually say you multiply it by 2.5 to get the real figure

homealone
04-05-2009, 22:34
either really - least they're more honest about the sodium these days and actually say you multiply it by 2.5 to get the real figure

strictly speaking the salt equivalent of 'sodium x 2.5' only applies to 'real' salt, i.e. sodium chloride.

There are several other potential sources of sodium in food, such as monosodium glutamate, sodium benzoate & sodium saccharin, which don't exactly correlate with the standard conversion factor of 2.5.

For that reason, in my opinion, it is better to compare the actual sodium levels, rather than the 'salt equivalent' when looking at labels. :)