PDA

View Full Version : Recession, what recession?.....

Osem
25-04-2009, 14:59
:confused: Well there was I thinking that small businesses in particular would be crying out for work yet my experiences over the last few weeks seem to contradict this.

3 weeks ago or so I contacted a local heating engineer who''d been personally recommended to me. I want to replace our ageing Potterton Puma combi boiler and update our Economy 7 immersion heater based hot water system (which we use to provide all the hot water downstairs in our house independent of the combi) with an unvented pressurised system run off a condensing boiler. The guy came, spent about 2 hours looking round, discusssing our requirements and chatting through the options then went away to prepare a quote.

Last week, I sought a quote for a new garage door - the expensive insulated roller type with full automation c. £1500 I reckon. Last week I e.mailed a well established local company with my requirements and the relevant dimensions for an estimate. I made it clear that I have 2 neighbours who also need new doors (4 in total) and that our intention is to get the job done at the same time by he same firm so it'd be a bulk order.

Have we heard from either? NO! Not so much as a peep... :confused:

What have your experiences been when trying to get quotes or get work done in these 'recessionary' times?

Gary L
25-04-2009, 23:07
I have a mate who's a self employed builder. when he has too much work on he'll turn down work just like that, to the point of sometimes being rude if they keep him on the phone too long. but when he has no work he'll be sniffing around asking if people have any work for him. and even trying an old number that called him a few weeks back telling them I'm 'Bob The Builder' you called me about some work you wanted doing.

Nidge
26-04-2009, 10:54
:confused: Well there was I thinking that small businesses in particular would be crying out for work yet my experiences over the last few weeks seem to contradict this.

3 weeks ago or so I contacted a local heating engineer who''d been personally recommended to me. I want to replace our ageing Potterton Puma combi boiler and update our Economy 7 immersion heater based hot water system (which we use to provide all the hot water downstairs in our house independent of the combi) with an unvented pressurised system run off a condensing boiler. The guy came, spent about 2 hours looking round, discusssing our requirements and chatting through the options then went away to prepare a quote.

Last week, I sought a quote for a new garage door - the expensive insulated roller type with full automation c. £1500 I reckon. Last week I e.mailed a well established local company with my requirements and the relevant dimensions for an estimate. I made it clear that I have 2 neighbours who also need new doors (4 in total) and that our intention is to get the job done at the same time by he same firm so it'd be a bulk order.

Have we heard from either? NO! Not so much as a peep... :confused:

What have your experiences been when trying to get quotes or get work done in these 'recessionary' times?

Some people don't want work, the above epitomises how some businesses trade, it makes you wonder how the hell they make their money? For the garage door give These people (http://www.mansfieldgaragedoors.co.uk/) a ring. They have fitters all over the UK. I got an automatic one from them a few years ago and they were bang on the money.

lucy7
26-04-2009, 14:02
I never turn work away, as you never know whats around the corner.
I just sub-contract out, and check that their levels are up to scratch, and top up the standards if needed.

Know what you mean though, I have had 2 bolier fitters not turn up for pre-arranged appointments to discuss my requirments.
When I rang them , they said that they were busy, I politely said, well don't make an appointment with me then! :)

Maggy
26-04-2009, 14:54
I suspect that a lot of people are getting repairs done rather than buying new and this is where tradesmen are getting their money these days.The quick turnover of such work may be more profitable than starting large expensive projects up..

Well that's what the chap told me when he fixed my tumble drier on Friday. :shrug: