PDA

View Full Version : Old Virgin Number Divert to new

leemitch
21-04-2009, 17:19
Hi, hoping someone might be able to help with what can and can't be done here. I've had a virgin (previously ntl, previously...) number for 20 years and have recently moved house. Virgin were supposed to move the number to the new place but "forgot" and we now have a new number. I asked them to put a divert on the old number to the new one and have spoken to 4 different representatives, going through the same procedure each time, they think they can but then they can't because we are now in a different area code so it can't be added to our account. This sounds like rubbish to me but I don't know enough about it to put up a decent argument, anyone else had this problem / know anything about the feasibility of what I'm asking?

Thanks in advance.

BenMcr
21-04-2009, 18:12
Unfortunately they can't divert one number to another unless both are active.

Sometimes numbers can't be transferred at a house move - although happens less often with VM that it does with BT

Mr_Moo
24-04-2009, 00:30
If they messed up in the first place, you could ask them that they put a permanent divert on the old number, essentially they would be paying for the number to stay active, then again it would be hard to bill against.

Alternatively, a dummy LEN could be put in place on the old number that's permanently forwarded to your new one. Much the same as above, just done slightly differently.

I'm not sure how residential works but maybe worth asking.

BenMcr
24-04-2009, 00:32
AFAIK neither of those can be done for residential lines

Mr_Moo
24-04-2009, 00:35
I didn't think so!

Keep complaining though, it might get you somewhere.

BenMcr
24-04-2009, 09:05
As I said it is quite possible that he has been told the truth!

Sometimes number can't be transferred when you move - there is never any guarantee!

Peter_
24-04-2009, 09:39
If you have moved into a different area with a different area code then the is no way you can take your number with you.

You cannot take a 0121 area code number to a 0161 area code area as it will not work.

AndyCambs
24-04-2009, 09:40
If you have moved into a different area with a different area code then the is no way you can take your number with you.

You cannot take a 0121 area code number to a 0161 area code area as it will not work.

Nor within an STD code if you are moving to another part of town.

BenMcr
24-04-2009, 09:41
Even if you move within a dialling code you can't always take it with you

e.g say you move from one side of Birmingham from 0121222 to 0121555 you might not be able to take the 0121222 number with you

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Got there before me ;)

AndyCambs
24-04-2009, 09:43
Got there before me ;)

I'm quick.,..

dave_dph
24-04-2009, 21:38

Not exactly true. My old BT 0121 number is now with voip.co.uk. I can therefore take it anywhere i want, even to another country. :)

Peter_
24-04-2009, 22:15
Not exactly true. My old BT 0121 number is now with voip.co.uk. I can therefore take it anywhere i want, even to another country. :)
We are talking about landlines and Voip does not fit that description.

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

That should not really matter with a Virgin number but probably would with a BT number as they are related to districts in a town or city.

BenMcr
25-04-2009, 00:22
That should not really matter with a Virgin number but probably would with a BT number as they are related to districts in a town or city.
Even Virgin have restrictions within the same dialling code

Peter_
25-04-2009, 07:44
Even Virgin have restrictions within the same dialling code
When I receive calls from my home city I see the same district code from anywhere in the city unlike BT who keep the area codes within the district, but then again I am EX-Telewest and you are on the EX-NTL side so they may work differently.

AndyCambs
25-04-2009, 09:31
When I receive calls from my home city I see the same district code from anywhere in the city unlike BT who keep the area codes within the district, but then again I am EX-Telewest and you are on the EX-NTL side so they may work differently.

Presumably though that wouldn't work in London or other All-Figure-Number exchanges (like Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc)?

Peter_
25-04-2009, 09:41
Presumably though that wouldn't work in London or other All-Figure-Number exchanges (like Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc)?
I mean my city not the others as listed.