PDA

View Full Version : Private Dental Insurance

Damien
20-04-2009, 17:02
Does anyone have Private Dental Insurance? I have some questions:

Who are you with/recommend?
Does the dentist claim the cost right off the policy or do you have to fill in forms?
Your experiences with it?

STONEISLAND
20-04-2009, 17:08
Does anyone have Private Dental Insurance? I have some questions:

Who are you with/recommend?
Does the dentist claim the cost right off the policy or do you have to fill in forms?
Your experiences with it?

I use to have Dent Plan though work, its ok but you must get receipts for the work and I don’t think you can go Private although I did get away with it by blaging. I have since cancelled it as it was too much trouble getting receipts sending them of and waiting for cash back.

Also I had a limit on what I could have done which did not help.

This was a perk though work so some may differ.

Damien
20-04-2009, 17:15
Yeah, I don't want to do it if I have to pay and then claim the money back!

STONEISLAND
20-04-2009, 17:17
Yeah, I don't want to do it if I have to pay and then claim the money back!

That is what you have to do with Dent Plan you pay then claim the money back with proven recipts.

Ball ache. ;)

Not sure about any others out there.

Saaf_laandon_mo
20-04-2009, 17:31
Damien, the hassle of claiming the money back might be worth it. I recently had a chipped tooth - cost me £240 to sort out. I'd have happily gone through the hassle of claiming it back with receipts. At least you will get money back, even if it takes weeks.

I wish I had insurance at the time.

Damien
20-04-2009, 17:36
Damien, the hassle of claiming the money back might be worth it. I recently had a chipped tooth - cost me £240 to sort out. I'd have happily gone through the hassle of claiming it back with receipts. At least you will get money back, even if it takes weeks.

I wish I had insurance at the time.

Ouch! Was that Private or NHS? I am NHS at the moment but obviously private is better. It's around £20 a month though so if I have to pay that and go though the hassle of claiming money (which I would still need to shell out for) then it makes me think twice! Especially as I don't trust insurance companies to pay out..

STONEISLAND
20-04-2009, 17:41
What your teeth like? If you need a load of work doing then do it, if not then defo give it a miss.

Damien
20-04-2009, 17:44
They ok, they need something done probably but that would be pre-existing so I need to get it done anyway.

AndyCambs
20-04-2009, 17:46
I am not with it.
I think the costs advertised at the dentists were something like £8 per month.

An inspection costs £17.50 (including scaling) on the NHS plan.
Fillings, and extractions cost £46.50 (any number of fillings).

So on the basis you'll have two inspections, and two treatments each year, both of which include fillings - that's a total of £93 per year.

using the HSA - £7.70 per month - that works out at £92.40 in total, but then according to the website you only get reimbursed for 75% of the treatment costs. So it would work out more.

STONEISLAND
20-04-2009, 17:49
They ok, they need something done probably but that would be pre-existing so I need to get it done anyway.

Unless you know you need loads of work I really would not bother. ;)

Or

Have it just for the year and have as much work as needed in that year then cancel.