PDA

View Full Version : "Deborah 13: Servant of God"

Gary L
17-04-2009, 23:22
Sorry, but we have to start a new thread.

Deborah is 13, one of 11 children, and has been raised essentially in a vacuum. She has been heavily indoctrinated into Christianity and taught that she is an evil, sinful person in need of redemption. She’s even been turned into a miniature evangelist. Her parents have home-schooled her and her 10 brothers and sisters. They have “protected” her from the outside world and influences that might make her stray from what she’s been taught. But how prepared will she be to live in that outside world when she’s forced to enter it?

A few points of what is said in the film, and what I thought of it.

She's scared of going to heaven and being told when she gets there that she's been bad and has to go to hell where there's gnashing teeth.

She was asked "what if heaven doesn't exist" she said she'll die and go to the grave, and it'll be a waste of her life.

The ending is really upsetting. she's a scared girl. she doesn't know anything. all she knows is what she's been told over the years

In the film she tells people that even a little white lie means that you're going to hell. if you get killed by a car and you never asked for forgiveness before you step out in front of the car, you're going to hell.

She said a few times that it's a scary thought of going to hell for eternity.

Another thing that was said was that life on earth is nothing. it's the eternity afterwards that is important. her father said that he was teaching eternity, when asked what it was he was teaching his children.

http://gaytheistagenda.lavenderliberal.com/2009/03/26/deborah-13-servant-of-god/

Ramrod
17-04-2009, 23:44
Child abuse...(if it's true)

Gary L
17-04-2009, 23:57

Child abuse can take four forms, all of which can cause long term damage to a child: physical abuse, emotional abuse, neglect and child sexual abuse. Bullying and domestic violence are also forms of child abuse.

A child may be experiencing abuse if he or she is:

* frequently dirty, hungry or inadequately dressed
* left in unsafe situations or without medical attention
* constantly "put down", insulted, sworn at or humiliated
* seems afraid of parents or carers
* severely bruised or injured
* displays sexual behaviour which doesn't seem appropriate for their age
* growing up in a home where there is domestic violence
* living with parents or carers involved in serious drug or alcohol abuse

Remember, this list does not cover every child abuse possibility. You may have seen other things in the child's behaviour or circumstances that worry you.

Abuse is always wrong and it is never the young person's fault.

Another quote from the page itself.
While I hesitate to use terms like “child abuse” it fits in this situation. This child’s mind has been warped, and is being warped more every day. She is not being given what she needs to effectively cope in the world, nor is she being afforded the opportunity to make choices for herself. She is being presented one choice and being made to think it is the only legitimate choice. That is what makes it abuse and a travesty. Sadly she is far from the only victim in her family, or the world.

And a blog.
http://skepticat.wordpress.com/2009/03/14/deborah-13-servant-of-god/

DRZ400
18-04-2009, 01:12
I've just watched it on the BBC iplayer and it's quite apparent, even though Matthew is trying to integrate in to modern society, neither he, or any of his family will due to their strict religious upbringing.

Gary L
18-04-2009, 01:17
I've just watched it on the BBC iplayer and it's quite apparent, even though Matthew is trying to integrate in to modern society, neither he, or any of his family will due to their strict religious upbringing.

The oldest is a 22 yr old woman? it would be interesting to see her. I wonder if she's broke free so to speak?

TheDaddy
18-04-2009, 02:02
I wonder what makes the parents think 'God' wants her to serve him in this way? Seems to me if anyone is going to hell, it'll be the parents.

rogerdraig
18-04-2009, 02:29
hmm reporter seems to think she should be with people her own age having sex( or it could be implied that way )

i may not agree with thier interpretation of the bible but i hardly think they can be said to be totally cut off from the real world when they have net access in thier bedrooms ( something i wont my kids have at that age lol )

yes she has a deep belief in following biblical rules but thats because shes still young later she will learn life has grey areas ( her brother seemed quite capable of saying the opposite of what he meant

lol quite amused at first clip when she asked reporter if she had lied etc but that just showed she was still young

stil wading through the other clips but i just see biased reporting with very onesided questions being asked so far

Jimmy-J
18-04-2009, 03:07
I wonder what makes the parents think 'God' wants her to serve him in this way? Seems to me if anyone is going to hell, it'll be the parents.
Should parents be the only ones blamed for this? It's their religion/Gods that are to blame for the poison they preach and spread like a wicked virus? It's sad to think that so many good people have been made to do so many bad things in the name of their God.

Take it away, I want nothing to do with your pathetic fanaticism! You are truly dangerous and destructive.

At the same time, I wont idly stand by and let these evil people destroy innocent lives.

SB_07
18-04-2009, 03:38
She's an Evangelical Christian.....scary people.

frogstamper
18-04-2009, 03:42

:clap::clap::clap::clap: With parents like this, who needs hell to frighten their children.

TheDaddy
18-04-2009, 05:46
Should parents be the only ones blamed for this? It's their religion/Gods that are to blame for the poison they preach and spread like a wicked virus? It's sad to think that so many good people have been made to do so many bad things in the name of their God.

Yes only the parents should be blamed imo. It's to easy and lazy to blame 'God', if he is up there he gave us free will. Yes 'God' made me do it the defence of the lunatic, wonder what the next excuse will be 'I voz only following orderz'.

She's an Evangelical Christian.....scary people.

Kind of reminds me of Rimmer's parents from Red Dwarf, seventh day hopists, their Bible had a misprint, instead of hope it said hop and they spent every sunday hoping.

papa smurf
18-04-2009, 09:05
well what can i say
another fine example of the abuse of the young and innocent , these people will never fit in with main stream society there totally damaged imo..
and thanks to there parents they have a warped view of reality , and as for HELL those kids are living it , but mum and dad know best :rolleyes: its Gods will-blah blah -i always find it amusing how this "type of person " know exactly what there God wants , it would be quite funny if it weren't so tragic ,speaks volumes about parenting skills .:mad:

Gary L
18-04-2009, 10:30
:clap::clap::clap::clap: With parents like this, who needs hell to frighten their children.

I think she fears hell everyday. she seems to me like she thinks she is being watched and judged everyday, and she has to show who ever's watching that she isn't going to be a bad girl and please don't send me to hell.

The last shot in the programme is Deborah yet again proclaiming that “we are wretched, horrible people,” and that “I, Deborah Drapper, am a wicked person,” then breaking down in tears as she recounts that Jesus had died for her. Her palpable distress at the scenario she’s been indoctrinated to accept: that God sent his only son (who was really himself) to die an agonising death because we turned out to be no better than he made us and we are all going to Hell unless we ask for forgiveness, made me want to phone for a social worker and report her parents. Yet in the days after the programme was aired, some Christians rejoiced that it was shown on the BBC. The sight of a child breaking down in distress at the thought of Hell was ‘wonderful’ and ‘awesome’, apparently.

idi banashapan
18-04-2009, 10:43
it would be quite funny if it weren't so tragic ,speaks volumes about parenting skills .:mad:

and in some cases, religion and the extremes it can create.

Gary L
18-04-2009, 10:59
and in some cases, religion and the extremes it can create.

That's where I have a problem with it. anyone old enough to have made up their own mind to follow a religion is all well and good. but Deborah and her brothers and sisters are taught it as a way of life.

and because it's God that has been taught it's seen as ok. but you have to look at the other aspects of it, where by how she has been brought up from birth, she has been denied anything else that is normal for a child to grow up with.

Damien
18-04-2009, 11:04
This is an example of abuse, something which is not confined to religion. There is nothing in Christianity that remotely condones or encourages this, instead it is in the mind of the family who would have attached themselves to any ideology anyway.

It's mental Illness and the religion is immaterial.

idi banashapan
18-04-2009, 11:09
This is an example of abuse, something which is not confined to religion. There is nothing in Christianity that remotely condones or encourages this, instead it is in the mind of the family who would have attacked themselves to any ideology anyway.

absolutely, but as Gary L says - these people are hiding behind 'religion' as reasoning for their abuse towards their children. this sort of thing gives other religious people and groups a bad name, especially when the 'one-size-fits-all' brigade come out. ( and before anyone says, no - that was not aimed at anyone here!!!)

Gary L
18-04-2009, 11:17
This is an example of abuse, something which is not confined to religion. There is nothing in Christianity that remotely condones or encourages this, instead it is in the mind of the family who would have attacked themselves to any ideology anyway.

The father said pointing at the Bible. it says to teach the children diligently.

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

The BBC did a documentary entitled "Deborah 13: Servant of God". I think it is a GREAT example of how children should be raised in the ways of the Lord. She is turning out to be a great witness for only being 13 years old. It moves me to tears of joy to see her love for the Lord and concern for the lost.

May God continue to speak through her to all who watch. Actually Atheists have posted it on youtube and sharing it with eachother to say how horrible it is. Well it's horrible for them because they cannot argue against a 13 year old girl who knows the truth and has experienced the reality of God's forgiveness and is demonstrating His love by preaching to those on their way to hell.

That is all Deborah goes on about is hell. is that all that she is taught?

http://www.powers-latvia.blogspot.com/

Damien
18-04-2009, 11:37
The father said pointing at the Bible. it says to teach the children diligently.

Still nothing to do with the religion itself and everything to do with the mind of these people. If this were a religious thing surely there would be more cases of it? :rolleyes:

Gary L
18-04-2009, 11:43
Still nothing to do with the religion itself and everything to do with the mind of these people. If this were a religious thing surely there would be more cases of it? :rolleyes:

You have a point really. I mean when can it be seen as extreme, to the point of being called a mental illness?
I've always said that because it's God that is being taught then it's never looked at in the welfare of the children. but if it was something else, would the welfare be considered from outside?

papa smurf
18-04-2009, 11:43
The BBC did a documentary entitled "Deborah 13: Servant of God". I think it is a GREAT example of how children should be raised in the ways of the Lord. She is turning out to be a great witness for only being 13 years old. It moves me to tears of joy to see her love for the Lord and concern for the lost.

i think this is a great example of why some people should not be allowed access to children there's or any one else's , send in social services i say and end this now.
i feel so sad for these children .

DRZ400
18-04-2009, 11:56
Problem is ... the 'brain washings' done, she will have children of her own and do exactly the same to them.

I see no difference between Deborahs family and the Phelps of "God hates fags" fame.

But religions a good thing .... isnt it?

Jimmy-J
18-04-2009, 14:33
And to think this religion influences world leaders. You can thank your God for that.

Gary L
18-04-2009, 16:39
Problem is ... the 'brain washings' done, she will have children of her own and do exactly the same to them.

I saw 2 quad bikes while I've been out. the noise of them was unbelievable. they're ok as long as everyone doesn't get one.

As long as they're not hurting anybody :)

lucy7
18-04-2009, 18:32
Chose not to watch this programme, as they actually upset me!

The small boy, in the last one to be televised, age 5 and a preacher at his local American Church was the last one of these type of TV shows I watched.

I am sure most folk realise these type of parents are extreme, and actually not what Christian parents are all like!

Paul
18-04-2009, 21:53
Some people really shouldnt be parents.

Gary L
19-04-2009, 15:09
Just been watching this again. is Deborah's older brother. the one she went to the city with, gay or just camp?

papa smurf
19-04-2009, 15:34
Just been watching this again. is Deborah's older brother. the one she went to the city with, gay or just camp?

i'll order a large sack of coal -that boys going to hell:D

Gary L
19-04-2009, 15:38
i'll order a large sack of coal -that boys going to hell:D

Does it matter to their religion if he was gay? I know he said something about he cringes when girls come up to him, and he said he doesn't approve of dancing to the song "I kissed a girl"

is that because of being against gays or just kissing girls? :)

papa smurf
19-04-2009, 16:07
Does it matter to their religion if he was gay? I know he said something about he cringes when girls come up to him, and he said he doesn't approve of dancing to the song "I kissed a girl"

is that because of being against gays or just kissing girls? :)

he's probably the worlds first homophobic camp guy ;)

Gary L
19-04-2009, 16:22
he's probably the worlds first homophobic camp guy ;)

That's the story he's told his mum and dad anyway :)

papa smurf
19-04-2009, 16:27
That's the story he's told his mum and dad anyway :)

what would religion be without hypocrisy and a few fibs ;)

Stuart
19-04-2009, 17:46
And to think this religion influences world leaders. You can thank your God for that.

I see no difference between Deborahs family and the Phelps of "God hates fags" fame.

I think in this case, the fact that they are religious is almost irrelevant. The fact is they are bad parents who are happy to have their child believe that it is evil, and that the only correct way is the parents own warped view of the world.

The fact that that view is linked to christianity is almost by the by.

Gary L
19-04-2009, 17:54
I think in this case, the fact that they are religious is almost irrelevant. The fact is they are bad parents who are happy to have their child believe that it is evil, and that the only correct way is the parents own warped view of the world.

What is evil?

Maggy
19-04-2009, 18:03
What is evil?

An anagram of vile...

papa smurf
19-04-2009, 18:11
What is evil?

Carl Jung

Carl Jung, in his book Answer to Job and elsewhere, depicted evil as the "dark side of God". People tend to believe evil is something external to them, because they project their shadow onto others. But from a psychological point of view to be evil is to refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses in one's own personality. Jung interpreted the story of Jesus as an account of God facing his own shadow.

Gary L
19-04-2009, 18:17
Carl Jung

Carl Jung, in his book Answer to Job and elsewhere, depicted evil as the "dark side of God". People tend to believe evil is something external to them, because they project their shadow onto others. But from a psychological point of view to be evil is to refuse to acknowledge the weaknesses in one's own personality. Jung interpreted the story of Jesus as an account of God facing his own shadow.

Thanks. I must read more books :)

Stuart
19-04-2009, 20:04
What is evil?

Evil is a way of defining people that are in some way bad..