PDA

View Full Version : To move VM box fro Room A to Room B

TenderLoin
16-04-2009, 06:41
It might not be appropriate but I'm thinking of moving my VM services to another room in the flat but the call out charges is £99. Does anyone know any VM engineer around St Albans (south Hertfordshire) area that willing to stop by at their spare time? It will involve rerouting the external cabling and drilling a new hole into the room at 1st floor.

Willing to pay £50 and a pint if anyone up for it. Ideally in the evening after 6pm. Cheers!

broadbandking
16-04-2009, 16:24
Why not try doing it yourself and then it would be cheap I doubt tech would do this as if it was found out they was doing this then they would get sacked if you pay the £99 it will be done all good no mess

Peter_
16-04-2009, 20:08
You can buy kits of Ebay but I would recommend paying the charge as if anything goes wrong you could end up paying more in the long run.

Welshchris
17-04-2009, 01:53
a friend of mine before christmas last year before he passed away had his broadband and TV moved from the living room to the bedroom so he could use it in bed as he was suffering from terminal cancer. Virgin only charged him £69.

Peter_
17-04-2009, 06:24
a friend of mine before christmas last year before he passed away had his broadband and TV moved from the living room to the bedroom so he could use it in bed as he was suffering from terminal cancer. Virgin only charged him £69.
I am shocked that they charged him!!

I would have made sure he got it for free due to his illness.

Welshchris
17-04-2009, 06:46
his son sorted it for him as he was 91 after all and they said it was a "Set fixed fee"

Peter_
17-04-2009, 07:45
his son sorted it for him as he was 91 after all and they said it was a "Set fixed fee"
I am sorry he got charged as if I took that call I would have got it for free as that is wrong on so many levels regardless of following process, their manager could have got it sorted at least if they could not.

AndyCambs
17-04-2009, 09:46
I am sorry he got charged as if I took that call I would have got it for free as that is wrong on so many levels regardless of following process, their manager could have got it sorted at least if they could not.

I am sure not the case here, but anyone could ring up with a sad story and ask for work for nothing. If the Customer Service Staff asked for proof, they'd be accused of insensitivity.

Peter_
17-04-2009, 10:08
I am sure not the case here, but anyone could ring up with a sad story and ask for work for nothing. If the Customer Service Staff asked for proof, they'd be accused of insensitivity.
You would have to ask for proof but it would then benefit the customer if true.

TenderLoin
17-04-2009, 11:43
I am surprised that VM did no waive the fee for him. I guess the person he called is junior ranked and his/her computer only allow to apply the £30 discount for online order? just a wild guess.

As for my own moving, well I'm not a DIY person (can't even fix the bloody toilet pump) perhaps I just bite the bullet and get VM do it for me for £99. Did ask if i upgrade to V+ with HD would the engineer do it when they are around but no she said. Apparently they only come with the set top box and just to make sure the box is working and that's it. Oh well.

100meg
17-04-2009, 12:24
virgin are really starting to take the **** with these install prices lately

why oh why are British customers so stupid when i comes to stuff like this ill never know

AndyCambs
17-04-2009, 12:35

why oh why are British customers so stupid when i comes to stuff like this ill never know

Do you work for nothing? Why do you expect companies to provide and install services for nothing?

TenderLoin
17-04-2009, 13:24

Comparing to £126+ BT charge for a new line and £50+ per hour rate for a plumber my view that this is within reason (I'm just a bit tight to save some pennies). To be fair they are rerouting the line to wherever I want it to be and guarantee to get it working. Worth to invest for peace of mind I recon.

100meg
17-04-2009, 13:58
Do you work for nothing? Why do you expect companies to provide and install services for nothing?

the install fees were already factored in to the contract price

but virgin has decided to scam some more but the average British customer deserves what they get because of there stupid apathy as demonstrated above. :D

AndyCambs
17-04-2009, 14:12

but virgin has decided to scam some more but the average British customer deserves what they get because of there stupid apathy as demonstrated above. :D

Yes the initial installation fees, but not if someone requires additional work to move the points.

If you wanted your main phone socket moving, BT would charge you as well.
No company will perform work for nothing - they're not charities unfortunately.

TenderLoin
17-04-2009, 18:32

Not trying to defense VM here but at the moment with the £50 discount the installation £30 is free anyway so not sure what you are on about the installation fee.

In my case in all honesty it is an alteration to the service so I think VM have the right to charge a fee for it.

Or perhaps you could kindly offer a few clever non-apathy steps you think we all should take as you persisting the average people like myself are stupid?;)

TenderLoin
18-04-2009, 15:35
Made the call and after explanation in details VM is going to charge me £75 since it only involve relocating the white box.

thanks folks for the comments.

andel90
18-05-2009, 04:09
hi mate i was wondering if you could tell me how they would relocate the white box as i want to move the broadband upstairs!

thanks

AndyCambs
18-05-2009, 05:50
hi mate i was wondering if you could tell me how they would relocate the white box as i want to move the broadband upstairs!

thanks

Call Customer Service.

frazzeld
21-05-2009, 20:29

thanks

Wireless Router = Broadband upstairs