PDA

View Full Version : Old faulty STB replaced, now no teletext, and ch 1 to 5 on tv's just thro ch6 (cable)

ZEDHEAD
15-04-2009, 23:59
My daughter and son in law, have just had to call VM out to a fauty STB, they have replaced the STB and now cannot get a picture on ch 1 to 5 terrestrial on any tv in the house which they could before, also they cannot now get teletext, we live in the Huddersfield< KIRKLEES > Area which is ex NTL, also surround sound for main Tv has now ceased, one last thing which puzzles me a bit, and i am by no means up on these things, is they could get the terrestrial signals on all tv's and teletext, but have never had a aerial on the roof or anywhere else for that matter since getting NTL ten years ago.

Vm say they need an terrestrial aerial outside, and say they can only get Ch 1 to 5 through the STB Chan 6 on TV, now they say they need a STB for each Tv and no Teletext. And want to charge them 25 Buck to sort Vm's problem

Any ideas gratefully accepted:confused::confused::confused::shocked::td :
Cheers!!!!

BenMcr
16-04-2009, 00:03
Unfortunately they had what is called an 'analogue bypass'. This allowed channels 1-5 to be split out from the cable signal and transmitted in a way that allowed TVs to tune into the signal normally without an outside aerial

This was never an official part of the service but was installed in some areas.

It was withdrawn completely in January 2007. Any box swaps or new installs from that point won't have had it.

Even if they hadn't had a new box it would have stopped working at some point this year anyway as Virgin are in the process of switching off the analogue signals

There is no way to get Virgin to come make it work again.

Even if they do get an outside aerial in - they will still have to get either extra Virgin STBs or Freeview STBs put in for when the analogue aerial signals get switched off

ZEDHEAD
16-04-2009, 00:11
Thanks for such a speedy reply, cheers!!!!

Peter_
16-04-2009, 06:38
That service was withdrawn here when we still has an analogue box more than 10 years ago and I installed my own TV aerial due to cost of an engineer.

beeman
16-04-2009, 07:47
This was never an official part of the service but was installed in some areas.

Just to correct you on this point. in some areas it WAS an official service. In the cambridge cable region when it first started it was a chargable `install service (you payed a fee and they piped analog channels to all the rooms in the house) :)

(note not desputing the rest though....)

Peter_
16-04-2009, 07:56
We had it on an analogue box which had a rf output for normal terrestial tv and when the box went faulty the replacement had no rf output even though the box externally looked identical.

This was in a Cable northwest area pre Telewest.

BenMcr
16-04-2009, 10:43
Just to correct you on this point. in some areas it WAS an official service. In the cambridge cable region when it first started it was a chargable `install service (you payed a fee and they piped analog channels to all the rooms in the house) :)
I meant never part of the Digital service ;)