PDA

View Full Version : how to distribute sky over a network

jonjonjon
15-04-2009, 18:47
I met a guy in a computer market who was selling sky tv + 8000 channels for £200 a year .
He distributed this from his home via 12 servers .
he fitted a motorized dish and a normal satellite receiver box and then plugged it into a network box thing (in your home )
How would you go about doing the same thing ?any one know were to start??

MovedGoalPosts
15-04-2009, 18:51
Chances are whatever he was managing to do was very iffy and in breach of terms of use of sky or similar networks. We won't allow discussion of how to do things like that on here.

zing_deleted
15-04-2009, 19:06
ive seen this working and it is exceedingly dodgy

Paul K
16-04-2009, 11:16
It would be illegal unless you are paying sky to actually retransmit which I doubt you would be looking to do. Could always call 08442 414141 and ask them how to do it.

dragon
25-05-2009, 21:59
What about a much smaller setup for watching ones own sky over the network.

I suppose it would be either a slingbox, or perhaps a HTPC with a tv turner card in?

Obliviously you could only watch the channel the sky box is on but considering I get no tv in this room unless I use something like tvcatchup it might be worth looking into.

Paul K
25-05-2009, 22:09
Slingbox will work no problem.

Kymmy
25-05-2009, 23:12
I met a guy in a computer market who was selling sky tv + 8000 channels for £200 a year .
He distributed this from his home via 12 servers .
he fitted a motorized dish and a normal satellite receiver box and then plugged it into a network box thing (in your home )
How would you go about doing the same thing ?any one know were to start??

Even if he had the servers there's no way he could capture and stream 8000 channels from a single dish motorized or not... For starters Sky doesn't have that many channels...!!! Even the Astra group themselves don't have that many channels... Also for each sat he'd need twin LNB's and an individual tuner for each channel...

Sounds like it's the smelly brown male bovine substance and all he's doing is selling on the links to free internet feeds that you see advertised on ebay (all it is is a bunch of links to live TV streams around the world)

Callumpy
26-05-2009, 00:53
start by reporting that guy?

AndyCambs
26-05-2009, 04:19
And I doubt there is anything worth watching on any of the 8000 channels!
Just imagine channel hopping through those -it would be bedtime by the time you found something to watch!

crafties
11-07-2009, 15:08
they guy is using a dreambox and a cardsharing server by the sounds of it. quite illegal I would think.there is plenty of sites around with info on cardsharing..but to be honest its not really worth the hassle IMO.