PDA

View Full Version : 50Mb issues....

diablo
15-04-2009, 18:42
Hello all....

I had 50Mb installed around 4 weeks ago..... My issue is this...I read on this forum and many others that there is no STM on 50Mb service...??? I think I am right in saying that..... I also read many 50mb users have said their speed never drops when grabbing from newsgroups.....

Now I have a different story to all of that.....I am sure that virgin are doing something as I have rather large dips in speed for long periods......I have been using giganews + newsbin pro...but also tried astraweb and various other stuff like newsleecher and grab it etc etc all with the same results.....

I would appreciate any feedback on this by Virgin 50mb users....

My connection does max out...but then after a while..it will dip to 5Mb or 10Mb and sometimes around 22Mb.....then back upto the max around 47 / 48Mb.....surely there has to be others experiencing these issues......

Any tips or advice will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance....

ReNZoR
15-04-2009, 20:24
I am experiencing the same issues mate.

This morning at around 5am, I started downloading something at around the normal 47MBps mark, and suddenly after 1.4gb of data it dropped violently down to 10meg speeds. Its now 8pm and throughout the day I have been running Speedtest and retrying the Debian ISO download from Virgin (usnig Free Download Manager), and its pretty constantly stuck at 10meg speeds :/

Normally it drops, 10~20 mins later its back up again after a pause in download. Not today apparently :(

diablo
15-04-2009, 20:43
I am experiencing the same issues mate.

This morning at around 5am, I started downloading something at around the normal 47MBps mark, and suddenly after 1.4gb of data it dropped violently down to 10meg speeds. Its now 8pm and throughout the day I have been running Speedtest and retrying the Debian ISO download from Virgin (usnig Free Download Manager), and its pretty constantly stuck at 10meg speeds :/

Normally it drops, 10~20 mins later its back up again after a pause in download. Not today apparently :(

sent PM m8

xxnoelziexx
15-04-2009, 21:59
I agree something is very odd I have had this since I had the 50Mb installed.
Attached a photo for you guys to look at. This is happening all the time.

It happens to http: / ftp and newsgroups
Newsgroup servers
easynews
giganews
Astraweb

Speeds are so up and down nothing has changed on my end, I even tried all my macs I have imac, macbook pro and macbook and get the same results.

Used modem directly connected to computer nothing changes.
When speeds are near 50 it is fantastic but when it drops it is very frustrating to say the least. Virgin Engineers are currently looking it to my connection but looking at my logs and stats they are up to something.

chickendippers
15-04-2009, 22:24
Network congestion? You are using a contended service after all.

Wyrdo
16-04-2009, 17:33
Exactly the same problems here since I've had 50mb installed. I very much doubt this is due to congestion.

shiwayb
16-04-2009, 18:06
Got off the phone to a lovely liverpoodlian who told me that it was normal to have these massive dips in speed.

He told me he was a qualified technition.

He did say however VM does not use B/W monitors to establish problems and "from his end" it was all fine.

Awww, so i guess i do get 50 Mb............for 0.5 of a secound.......but wait, i get it again in 5-15 secounds...........for 0.5 of a secound......

Wyrdo
16-04-2009, 18:09
Heh I don't understand why it would be normal on 50mb yet I never had this problem on 20mb.

diablo
16-04-2009, 18:17
Just grabbed 10gigs worth via giganews at 46.7Mb...then bam....down to 8.8Mb been at 8.8Mb for 25 mins now.....????? somethings dodgy here man...!!! Anymore suffering from this...????

telfordcable
16-04-2009, 21:46
Just grabbed 10gigs worth via giganews at 46.7Mb...then bam....down to 8.8Mb been at 8.8Mb for 25 mins now.....????? somethings dodgy here man...!!! Anymore suffering from this...????

look like your 50mb is throttling down to 75%

Ignitionnet
16-04-2009, 21:50
look like your 50mb is throttling down to 75%

I'm pretty sure 25% of 50Mbit isn't 8.8 - the issue is a fault. 25% would deliver 12.5Mbit and 12Mbit or so useable.

I will repeat there is no STM on the 50Mbit product at this time. Coming soon! :angel:

blenky
17-04-2009, 01:13

Yes get it a lot. Start downloading at between 45 and 50 then suddenly drops like a stone to about 15-20. Can stay like that for a few minutes or hours. Just done it and lasted about 25 minutes

scu11y69
17-04-2009, 10:18
ive had this problem for ages since ive upgraded to 50MB the 20MB was fine so its clearly the 50MB equipment as many ppl r now with the same issue

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33647947-50-crap-down-to-3meg-capped.html

broadbandking
17-04-2009, 10:19
Strange issue I don't seem to have any issue using newsgroup on my 50Mb connection, guess I am just lucky.

leexgx
17-04-2009, 12:40
go onto the news groups and post an mesg on there (not sure if any virgin techs come on here to look at the problems) this forum should make an New thread for

i allso have the same problem as well (Some users May not have this problem or may not know thay have this problem or just blame virgin for slow connection or the site thay are downloading from)
i am Lee on there news.virginmedia.com > virginmedia.support.broadband.cable (just type in virginmedia and it list all groups for it but BB.cable is the support one) make sure you modify the news server user name as it norm uses news.virginmedia.com an post name, i have posted info on there and

"STM users who complane post here"

as alot of problems in here are not problems just bitchen about STM need to make an new forum for that like above

HSp8
17-04-2009, 12:55
Count me as another with this exact problem

Will try to contact the Newsgroups soon (once I've figured out how to)

leexgx
17-04-2009, 13:10
outlook express on XP or windows mail on vista (add new news accout, no user name or password is not needed)

its not an STM (Packet loss is not STM way) and up load is not affected (on mine any way its not)

frankow
17-04-2009, 15:08
I seemed to be having the same problems. Speed all over the place, very occasionally where I wanted it to be but only for a few seconds.

Try going into the config of your network card and altering the 'Link speed & Duplex setting to Full Duplex'.

Worked for me, seems solid now.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/37.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

orionuk2009
17-04-2009, 19:39
Hi all you can add me to the list also !! lol :D

Iam also on 50 MB in the croydon area.And the speeds have been really bad from about PM all the way through till late in the morning this has been happening for 3 days know i suppose may as well report on newsgroups as its useless calling these days

for an example here is a speed test i took at 17:00 hours this evening

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/123998968345748116871.html

Speed Test Results
Date 17/04/09 18:35:31
Speed Down 2181.05 Kbps ( 2.1 Mbps )
Speed Up 1564.45 Kbps ( 1.5 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.thinkbroadband.com

And it seems to bounce all over the shop the maximum i can get is about 12 MB

But what was strange when i first started downloading it was downloading fine at full speed 48MB i had downloaded 486Mb then it dived down to 8MB and its not stable :rolleyes:

blenky
17-04-2009, 20:50
go onto the news groups and post an mesg on there (not sure if any virgin techs come on here to look at the problems) this forum should make an New thread for

I posted my problem on the Newsgroups some weeks ago. They were helpful and sent out an engineer to adjust my levels. This has not helped. Technical support on the Newsgroups eventually said that I need to call support when it happens so they can investigate at the time. The problem is that it is very erratic and at times does not last long.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Hi all you can add me to the list also !! lol :D

But what was strange when i first started downloading it was downloading fine at full speed 48MB i had downloaded 486Mb then it dived down to 8MB and its not stable :rolleyes:

Yes that happens to me. It always starts great and then at some pint drops and you never know when its going to pick up speed again.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Is everyone having problems connecting via the router provided?

Are you connecting wirelessly or wired.

Just wondering if anyone has tested connecting directly to the modem to see if that maintains decent speeds?

orionuk2009
17-04-2009, 23:10
Well i went in to the newsgroups and they have said that my modem power levels are too high for 50mb,But i never had that happen before my signals always been ok but it could be the node in the street .I have got a engineer coming out monday.Iam useing a Dlink-router its the same without the router

blenky
17-04-2009, 23:56
Well i went in to the newsgroups and they have said that my modem power levels are too high for 50mb,But i never had that happen before my signals always been ok but it could be the node in the street .I have got a engineer coming out monday.Iam useing a Dlink-router its the same without the router

That's exactly what they said to me!

Engineer came out, reduced my levels and made no difference.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

Speak of the devil my d/l just dropped down to 20MB!!!!!

orionuk2009
18-04-2009, 02:44
That's exactly what they said to me!

Engineer came out, reduced my levels and made no difference.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

Speak of the devil my d/l just dropped down to 20MB!!!!!

Funny that is`nt it

It wont be a suprise then its 02:15 exactly the same time frame and the connection is at full steam again lol

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/35.png

---------- Post added at 02:44 ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 ----------

Well after 15 mins playing about back down to this again :( !.I have tried downloading files http ,But iam getting the same results

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/36.png

orionuk2009
16-05-2009, 08:52
Hello all iam still haveing the same issues with the 50MB 4 weeks after reporting to virgin is everyone still have the same issue or has it been fixed ?

blenky
16-05-2009, 11:13
Hello all iam still haveing the same issues with the 50MB 4 weeks after reporting to virgin is everyone still have the same issue or has it been fixed ?

No still having it. Its very sporadic. I have lengths of time when it is fine so I am just living with it at the moment.

orionuk2009
16-05-2009, 15:57
Well further communication with virgin on the newsgroups i have hit a dead end iam assumeing know that it must be Congestion issue but they won`t admit it,Does anyone know what email address is for virgin`s Ceo Neil Berkett ?

news group last reply this is 4 weeks after orignal fault report to them

Hi Orion,

I am unable to advise you as to the nature of the fault as it is still under
investigation and no findings have been published as yet. I suspect due to
the fault being so transient it is difficult for our network engineers to
pin down. I would suggest that you might find it more beneficial calling us
on 150 during periods where your throughput has dropped so we can see this
happening in real-time and then report our findings back to networks.

Argy1
16-05-2009, 16:06
No still having it. Its very sporadic. I have lengths of time when it is fine so I am just living with it at the moment.

have been on 50MB service for roughly 4 weeks too and have same problems as others posting on this, and other threads....it seems from reading through all the other people suffering the same experiences as me that VM dont have an answer

is there any point in me contacting VM and getting various techs out to swap out equipment, adjust levels teak here and there etc only to find soon as tech as gone same intermitant speed dip problem comes back?

Goes without saying i want a stable,reliable service but dont have any time at home in weekdays working hours when anyone home for a tech to visit, unless i take an unpaid day off work and that isnt going to happen unless im sure the tech is likely to solve the problem, and reading various posts on here that doesn't seem to have happened to anyone with this problem yet

blenky
16-05-2009, 16:26
have been on 50MB service for roughly 4 weeks too and have same problems as others posting on this, and other threads....it seems from reading through all the other people suffering the same experiences as me that VM dont have an answer

is there any point in me contacting VM and getting various techs out to swap out equipment, adjust levels teak here and there etc only to find soon as tech as gone same intermitant speed dip problem comes back?

Goes without saying i want a stable,reliable service but dont have any time at home in weekdays working hours when anyone home for a tech to visit, unless i take an unpaid day off work and that isnt going to happen unless im sure the tech is likely to solve the problem, and reading various posts on here that doesn't seem to have happened to anyone with this problem yet

I rang some tiem ago and an engineer came to reduce my levels but made no difference. I posted the problem on theVM newsgroups and the answer was to ring at the time of the slowdown. As I am online in the evening this would mean dealing with the Indian call centre which is always a pain. I know that duing teh call (as happened before) the speed will suddenly pick up.