PDA

View Full Version : 50mb - any timetable for areas

jd2005
15-04-2009, 13:57
As always Virgin are about as helpful as sticking a needle into a haystack and then asking someone to go find it!

Called today to say I had received an email recently saying 50mb was coming to my area - so i called and originally got told by someone in sales that on one system it said it was and on another that it was not!!!

So the agent decided to say that it would 'hopefully' be before the end of the year!!! great :-(

I am in the SP4 area

weesteev
15-04-2009, 14:03
Bets idea is to use the postcode checked on the website to see if 50mb is available, its the same checker that staff use. There is no schedule as last time Virgin operated a schedule for speed changes it was hard to stick to it. Staff are advised when each headend is upgraded and sales can then take orders for those areas. You can call customer care and pre-register interest (if you havent already - aimed at other posters) and as soon as it shows in the checker on the website then call in and book your install!

Hope this helps (albeit as vague as a rollout schedule!)

:angel:

jd2005
15-04-2009, 14:11
Hi weesteve

Registered many months back - and I guess getting the email saying it was coming - made me think that it was imminent - and then getting the it is/its not response from VM ... well it kinda makes a mockery of efficiency/accuracy of info.

Even of there was slippage in a schedule - it would be better than being TOTALLY in the dark as to whether its July or December - if you get my point.

thanks for reply in any case.

broadbandking
15-04-2009, 14:12
Virgin havn't released a timetable just update staff the same day.

Ignitionnet
15-04-2009, 15:07
Indeed, tough to have a timetable when they don't know themselves when things are going to happen!

jd2005
15-04-2009, 15:39
Its really not rocket science ...

weesteev
15-04-2009, 15:51
The problem with the 50mb rollout is the physical work that is taking place behind the scenes. Its amassive task to connect the new UBR's and make sure they are stable before taking live orders for the new speed products. Problems can arrise especially as there are 3 legacy franchise areas all with different protocols and existing issues that can affect the connection of these UBR's.

Well worth the wait though though, you wont regret it once you are connected!

jd2005
15-04-2009, 16:10
I understand the complexities - but other companies manage to either keep stump until the arrival or have some timeframe window - its not really good PR to send emails to customers saying its imminent in your area - then customers call and are met with confusion and no date.

Ignitionnet
15-04-2009, 16:15
I understand the complexities - but other companies manage to either keep stump until the arrival or have some timeframe window - its not really good PR to send emails to customers saying its imminent in your area - then customers call and are met with confusion and no date.

Keeps you interested though doesn't it? Don't doubt the Virgin Media PR machine. If the cable network had as much attention paid to it as the PR machine we'd have the best service in the world ;)

jd2005
15-04-2009, 19:21
I wouldnt mind but the reason I want to switch is that my so-called 20mb service is giving me 5mb - and as always the customer is made to jump through hoops to prove its not their set-up that is is the issue - sigh!

Ignitionnet
15-04-2009, 19:58
Do you have slow upload too, say 192kbps?

jd2005
15-04-2009, 20:04
Varies - but its pathetic in any case :-(

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

whats the most reliable speedtest to perform please?

Ignitionnet
15-04-2009, 20:56
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

trickytree
16-04-2009, 10:52
The email I received from Virgin was clear and I'm sure everyone got the same as me that if you put your email address in a box and submit they would contact you when it came to your area.
If you have done that then just wait. It just stated rollout had started and it would be here soon. You can't start kicking off as a few weeks later you don't have it