PDA

View Full Version : So angry with VM at the moment

madtbh
14-04-2009, 19:00
Hey guys,

I’ve been with Virgin Media since they took over NTL and I’ve been with NTL since they first came to my area over 10 years ago.

I’ve been facing speed issues and constant disconnections for the past 5 months. Around 2-3 months ago they finally admitted to my local UBR being over scribed resulting in a high utilisation.

I have the 20Meg broadband package and it’s very rare I reach 20Meg; I miss the days where I had almost 20Meg all the time. Any ways, I find it so hard to believe that they cannot give me an ETA on when my local UBR will be upgraded.

The technician that came out told me the UBR in question if effecting well over 500 customers, quite frankly it feels like they are taking us for a ride.

Currently my speeds are 60kb/s down and 178kb/s up.

I don’t know if I can stand this anymore, thinking about leaving to be quite honest. Anyone else facing issues like these?

m419
14-04-2009, 19:05
No not anymore, I complained twice and 1 week after the second complaint they gave me £20 credit on my bill and the speed improved. Be aware that ADSL broadband tends to fluctuate even worse the further you are from the phone exchange,the worse the speed! So just bare with them a little longer and ask for that refund!

Mick Fisher
14-04-2009, 19:06
Hey guys,

I’ve been with Virgin Media since they took over NTL and I’ve been with NTL since they first came to my area over 10 years ago.

I’ve been facing speed issues and constant disconnections for the past 5 months. Around 2-3 months ago they finally admitted to my local UBR being over scribed resulting in a high utilisation.

I have the 20Meg broadband package and it’s very rare I reach 20Meg; I miss the days where I had almost 20Meg all the time. Any ways, I find it so hard to believe that they cannot give me an ETA on when my local UBR will be upgraded.

The technician that came out told me the UBR in question if effecting well over 500 customers, quite frankly it feels like they are taking us for a ride.

Currently my speeds are 60kb/s down and 178kb/s up.

I don’t know if I can stand this anymore, thinking about leaving to be quite honest. Anyone else facing issues like these?
Yes you are being taken for a ride if your speeds are that low consistantly. You should get better with ADSL even if you are miles from the exchange. See if Be are available at your local exchange.

m419
14-04-2009, 19:09
Keep changing providers can result in more fees and contracts,so make sure you get a refund and and threaten them that you will leave, they will get sorted pronto when you do that lol

AppleSauce
14-04-2009, 19:12
When my UBR was oversubscribed it stayed like that for 8 months. They then upgrade the UBR and all was great for a month, until they moved all the 20mb uses to another UBR.

madtbh
14-04-2009, 19:14
I’ve been advised by the customer care team to wait until the problem is resolved, cause then I should get a nice sum back. I’ve got a cable modem btw (the one with the Coaxial cable).

moaningmags
14-04-2009, 23:01
I’ve been advised by the customer care team to wait until the problem is resolved, cause then I should get a nice sum back. I’ve got a cable modem btw (the one with the Coaxial cable).

Tell them you want it credited back on a month to month basis given that's how you're billed it shouldn't be an issue.

Vlad_Dracul
15-04-2009, 01:19
Just downgrade your package. Why pay for something your not getting?

synner
15-04-2009, 07:58
Keep changing providers can result in more fees and contracts,so make sure you get a refund and and threaten them that you will leave, they will get sorted pronto when you do that lol

Unfortunately not true.

My UBR (UBR04 Preston) has been oversubscribed for over a year now, no fix date. Threatening to leave just gets the response "Ok then".

As at Friday last week I have been told the UBR is running with a load in the high 90%'s touching 100% utilisation and I have had tickets open for this since September 2007.

Bri

broadbandking
15-04-2009, 09:38
Preston has always been a bad area for the VM network and can't see it getting much better

synner
15-04-2009, 09:47
Preston has always been a bad area for the VM network and can't see it getting much better

Hi,

Could you give me some more info on this? I'm genuinely interested BTW, not being awkward !

Thanks

Bri

Ignitionnet
15-04-2009, 10:14
Hi,

Could you give me some more info on this? I'm genuinely interested BTW, not being awkward !

Thanks

Bri

I can help here. Too many homes sharing each fibre optic cable, Telewest really disliked spending money laying more fibre and splitting nodes and tended to bodge things, so VM will have to do it at some point.

No comfort but Preston isn't alone, a lot of areas on Telewest's network badly need / needed node splits and some new fibre which VM ended up having to do.

Preston will have to have the work done at some point though, be assured of that.

synner
15-04-2009, 10:36
I can help here. Too many homes sharing each fibre optic cable, Telewest really disliked spending money laying more fibre and splitting nodes and tended to bodge things, so VM will have to do it at some point.

No comfort but Preston isn't alone, a lot of areas on Telewest's network badly need / needed node splits and some new fibre which VM ended up having to do.

Preston will have to have the work done at some point though, be assured of that.

Thanks Boradbandings,

Much appreciated. I presume this is one of the reasons that Preston is used as a test area for the "Bad" things (STM etc) but not the "Good" things (50Mb etc) ?

I'd also guess that this is one of the reasons why Preston is going to be towards the end of the list for the 50Mb upgrade..?

Thanks again

Bri

broadbandking
15-04-2009, 10:44
Hopefully the 50Mb upgrade might help your UBR load if they move the 20Mb to DOCSIS 1.1, until then like broadbandings said its a bad area of the network just like my area Dudley however the speed have been better since the 50Mb upgrade.

synner
15-04-2009, 10:50

Hopefully the 50Mb upgrade might help your UBR load if they move the 20Mb to DOCSIS 1.1, until then like broadbandings said its a bad area of the network just like my area Dudley however the speed have been better since the 50Mb upgrade.

Thanks very much both of you, it's good to have some insight as to why things happen.

Bri