PDA

View Full Version : STB to modem upgrade delays

steveh
14-04-2009, 18:27
Up till now I hadn't bothered to get round to asking for a cable modem to replace my current set top box connection as it was working fine and I was just too busy to do anything about it. However, the past week download speeds seem to have been maxing out at 2 megs so I thought maybe it was time to finally get it switched over.

However, calling 150 today customer services said they were unable to send me a modem for at least ten days and I would have a break in service until then if I put in a request now. That seems a bit shoddy. There would also be a charge for sending me the modem, which I didn't think Virgin made for this switch. Is this right or have I been given some bad info?

Peter_
14-04-2009, 18:30
The should be no charge for this as Virgin want you to change to a modem, the agent was giving you incorrect information.

I would call back again and speak to someone else.

Blackened
14-04-2009, 18:55
Just to add my experience. I did the same as you steveh - finally ordered a cable modem - though my STB was happily doing 10mb, I was getting interupted internet connections as well as TV whenever the STB went down. I ordered a tech to come and change it (wouldn't send me one as there needed to be more wiring fitted). He came 8 days later and made a phone call while he was here which upgraded me, and my speed. In the interim I had no break in service.

Peter_
14-04-2009, 18:59
Just to add my experience. I did the same as you steveh - finally ordered a cable modem - though my STB was happily doing 10mb, I was getting interupted internet connections as well as TV whenever the STB went down. I ordered a tech to come and change it (wouldn't send me one as there needed to be more wiring fitted). He came 8 days later and made a phone call while he was here which upgraded me, and my speed. In the interim I had no break in service.
Which is what should happen, any other way they say is incorrect.