PDA

View Full Version : Address Not Found - 1 or 2 sites only

timbuk2
14-04-2009, 16:40
Hi Folks, First time here so be gentle!! I hope I'm in the right place to seek help for my problem.

I have a domain, hosted on a server in Rugby, and for almost a week now I have been unable to get to it using my VM BB from home. All I get is the error message "Address not found". People I know who use other ISPs can access it with no trouble. Even the BB Helpdesk (?) in Delhi can get to it. I can get to all other urls I have tried with no trouble.

I can't ping my url but I can ping the host servers IP address.

Tracert to my url returns "Unable to resolve target system name" but give a routing for any other url.

The problem is the same using IE6 or Firefox3 and I run Win XP in case that adds anything to the equation.

My hosting company confirms the site is online, which I know it is, but says it's not their problem. I understand why they say that.

VM say it's not their problem because my BB connexion is working okay.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to where the problem may be and how to fix it. I'm happy to supply any other info that may help.

TIA.

Timbuk2

indie1982
14-04-2009, 16:43
What's the domain then? Could be something as simple as a dodgy DNS entry!

chickendippers
14-04-2009, 16:55
Please post the domain then we can run some checks.

timbuk2
14-04-2009, 16:58
Sorry should have put that in the original!!

The first domain is www.orchidvideo.co.uk. The second, which I can get but my friend can't, is www.orchidweddingvideo.co.uk.

If it's a dodgy DNS how do I fix it?

Thanks so far.

Peter_
14-04-2009, 17:31
Sorry should have put that in the original!!

The first domain is www.orchidvideo.co.uk (http://www.orchidvideo.co.uk). The second, which I can get but my friend can't, is www.orchidweddingvideo.co.uk (http://www.orchidweddingvideo.co.uk).

If it's a dodgy DNS how do I fix it?

Thanks so far.
Works fine for me, you may need to use a proxy to access the site so try this link http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34773822-post18.html

Or you can try http://www.opendns.com/

timbuk2
14-04-2009, 18:10
Thanks Moldova. The trouble is that most people outside my local area seem to be able to, it's just that I need everyone, especially those local to me, to be able to.

Is anyone in the Cambridge area on VM able to try it and report back?

I'm assuming my DN Server is in Cambridge. If it has a duff entry how can I force a correction?

Thanks again.

Peter_
14-04-2009, 18:28
Thanks Moldova. The trouble is that most people outside my local area seem to be able to, it's just that I need everyone, especially those local to me, to be able to.

Is anyone in the Cambridge area on VM able to try it and report back?

I'm assuming my DN Server is in Cambridge. If it has a duff entry how can I force a correction?

Thanks again.
Those 2 links are workarounds to try and get you the access back, give them a try.

timbuk2
14-04-2009, 18:33
Yup, both workarounds work fine. Thanks Moldova.

But I still need to find a solution that doesn't need a workaround. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks again.

Pushkar
14-04-2009, 18:38
Yup, both workarounds work fine. Thanks Moldova.

But I still need to find a solution that doesn't need a workaround. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks again.

An immediate solution would be to move hosts, but that can be costly and inconvinient - and anyway the problem may only be temporary.

Stabhappy
15-04-2009, 10:01
I am also having trouble connecting in South Wales.

timbuk2
15-04-2009, 14:40
Thanks TaiLZ and Stabhappy.

Does anyone know how to correct "dodgy DNS entries"?

Thanks again.

watzizname
15-04-2009, 17:12
I'm in Nottingham.. Address Not Found

caph
15-04-2009, 17:48
It may just be propagating around the internet. It takes a while for a DNS entry to replicate. How long has the domain name been valid? I can see that the DNS servers for your domain are ns1a.ukservers.com and ns2a.ukservers.com. Unfortunately cache1.service.virginmedia.net (the DNS server that Virgin are currently issuing to me) does not have it in its cache yet. If you haven't already then give it 24hrs and try again.