PDA

View Full Version : Wall Boxes

Down the Pub
13-04-2009, 18:36
just a question regarding the incoming wall boxes. my bro-in-law across the river has vm, and like any area it has it's tit heads. lastnight sometime some knob has kicked the cover off the wall box - well thats all it sounds like anyway.

so he has rung vm and they have apparently told him it will be a 3 figure charge to come and fix it. is that right that vm can charge 3 figures (maybe £100 as i've not been told exactly how mucg) to fix a box that they supply that clearly can't take a knock? the box that was fitted at mine not long ago isn't that strong either and a sufficent knock will break it or take it off the wall.

if this is vm's policy then it's a nice little earner as i bet there are loads of people who have damaged boxes. maybe vm could look into fitting either stronger boxes or metal ones i.e. aluminium.

AndyCambs
13-04-2009, 18:37
They're quite substantial, but not made to take deliberate damage.
Can he not claim on his household insurance?

Down the Pub
13-04-2009, 18:53
They're quite substantial, but not made to take deliberate damage.
Can he not claim on his household insurance?

there is substantial and then there is substantial andy, i wouldn't say that the plastic used in them is of any great quality either - just standard that can be produced on a mass quanity basis.

on the second point, how can you legisate for damage beyond your control? once maybe ok, but anymore than that then why should he have to claim on the insurance? (and this is the first time it's happened) don't get me wrong some sort of charge maybe ok, but to try and charge that for something that isn't your fault is tbh takin the mick a bit.

monkey2468
13-04-2009, 19:00
They should fix it for free. Try calling again.

Down the Pub
13-04-2009, 19:03
They should fix it for free. Try calling again.

i'm sure it shouldn't be charged either, i'll tell him to ring tomorrow morning to try and avoid the bombay bad boys.

weesteev
15-04-2009, 13:57
The charge you are referring to is a £99 service fee to come and do any work on the property that isnt relevant to a fault. If the damage isnt the fault of Virgin Media then why should you get a free callout?

If the service has developed a fault or cant be used because of this damage then a fault technician can repair it pretty quickly but if the damage is deemed to be malicious or out of Virgins control then the tech will apply a charge against the account. The comment about home insurance is spot on, you should be able to claim the cost back that way.

Hope this helps

MovedGoalPosts
15-04-2009, 14:34
Just as the householder doesn't want to pick up the tab for damage caused by some oik, neither does Virgin Media. The box is suficient for it's purpose, to enclose a couple of cable joints, it doesn't need to be impregnable.

If it's been damaged by vandalism, presumably that was reported to the local police? True they probably won't do anything, but occasionally there is a pattern of behaviour, and occasionally those responsible are caught.