PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of STM - 20Mb XL

Octimon
13-04-2009, 17:36
Hi, please could someone clarify the STM download limits to me as I believe VM are applying them unfairly to me though this is the first time I have hit them. Over the easter weekend I have been playing with Linux and downloading various distros (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Suse, etc), some of which are quite chunky, in a search for a distro that is suitable for my needs.

The STM page http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php states the limits as

10am to 3 pm - 6000MB

4pm to 10pm - 3000Mb (it is definitely a small "b" so first question - do they mean Mb or MB. Have they craftily reduced the limit even further? If the former then we get less than 2Mb M customers so I am assuming the latter??)

My interpretatiuon therefore is that I can download 6GB til 3, then as much as I can squeeze in from 3 til 4 and then 3GB after 4. I have been very careful to ensure that I stick to the limits by some margin. However, I have been STM's twice this weekend when downloading around 5.5Gb by 3 and then downloading much less than 3GB after 4.

As I say, this is the first time I have hit STM and it may not be a huge issue again but I just need some clarification.

I note that they are being taken to Court in Scotland over this and in some ways I really hope that they lose (though I accept it could cause problems with none of us ever getting max speed if they have to remove STM). With a system that can't cope they continue to try and woo customers with ever increasing maximum download headline speeds but hide away in small print the fact that you can only reach that speed for about a minute a month and the rest of the time you are fighting with several thousand other customers for what little bandwidth they actually have. It's a bit like buying a car based on a 0-60 time of 4 secs only to find that you can only actually achieve that by launching it from a satellite in the close gravitational pull of Jupiter.

frazzeld
13-04-2009, 19:56
Thought this might have been answered by now! i'm also interested to know excatly how much you can download in the same day without been STM'd

chris9991
13-04-2009, 20:01
I imagine its just a typo because it is only a 'b' on L and XL and not on S and M. I can't imagine that the lower levels of BB would have a higher threshold

cook1984
13-04-2009, 21:05
I am on 10 meg and just uploaded over 1GB of data during peek times and was not capped. At other times I have been capped from the moment I turn my PC on after work.

Apparently sometimes they follow the rules and sometimes it's just random.

homealone
13-04-2009, 22:15
Thought this might have been answered by now! i'm also interested to know excatly how much you can download in the same day without been STM'd

as far as I know, the 'limits' on the site you quoted are correct ( with the caveat that the 'b' should have been a 'B' for the 3 Gig XL 'allowance'.

- don't forget the upload is also monitored in the afternoon/evening - if you are downloading using torrents then that may also be an issue ???

Octimon
14-04-2009, 08:31
I wasn't downloading by torrrent - all were ISOs directly from the Linux distro's websites - and I use netmeter to monitor my connection

Fobic
14-04-2009, 17:27
Was that 5.5GB just the size of the files downloaded to your Drive, or does it include the TCP overheads (which adds about another 5% I think) ?

Also note it's not 6GB before STM cuts in , it's 6000MB which is about 5.86GB

(or 5.72GB if Virgin are using 6000MB=6000*1000 KBytes instead of 6000*1024 KBytes ..... not that they would ever do that now, would they? :angel:)