PDA

View Full Version : Taking it apart

nicolodeon
12-04-2009, 12:44
That I had a cable modem which was a scientific atlantic model, loaded fedora onto laptop on a spare drive, done some basic configuration, loaded wireshark.

When interrogating the scientific atlantic modem, I found the MAC address on the ethernet side not to be what was specified on the modem itself.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but as I see it, the MAC is burned onto the modem permanently, the modem was seen as being Sc:ie:nt:if:ic: De:ad, or something similar. Following a full boot of the modem, it returned to the stated MAC on the modem.

So can I surmise from this, that the modem goes through an IML (Initial Microcode Load) whereby the configuration parameters of the ASIC and other components are loaded and the modem becomes an active device. Perhaps someone could provide me with a nod in the direction of understanding the modems manufacture and subsequent configuration.

I would be interested in finding out more only as a matter of securing my home network.

Thanks to the forum for your time.

(I in no way condone the alteration from supplied defaults or the OOB (out of box) experience supplied by VM)

Ignitionnet
12-04-2009, 12:59
I'm lazy so I'll just settle for saying that the modem's MAC addresses are stored on flash and aren't permanent. Configuration for components is a combination of non-volatile and volatile memory.

If you wish you can find the chipset of the SA modem from the Cisco / SA website and from there find more specifics.

nicolodeon
12-04-2009, 13:07
Aha... Thanks for that.... lol, not accepting PMs eh? Gee tough life

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

;-)

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Stored on flash, don't tell me thats the same for network cards for goodness sake!!!

MovedGoalPosts
12-04-2009, 14:07
If you wish to secure your home network, get yourself a decent firewall router, and perhaps add firewalls to your PC. You do not need to worry about the modem hardware since it's not something that you can change or adapt in any form without being in breach of your terms of service.

Ignitionnet
12-04-2009, 16:21
Aha... Thanks for that.... lol, not accepting PMs eh? Gee tough life

;-)

Stored on flash, don't tell me thats the same for network cards for goodness sake!!!

Yep, well to be more specific stored on EPROM or similar non-volatile storage. I was also lazy referring to it as 'flash' though hey same difference.

Not accepting PMs due to getting quite a few asking all sorts of different questions, sorry! :angel: