PDA

View Full Version : for the love of god

mofokk
11-04-2009, 18:02
what the hell is going on here.

been trying this ALL DAY .

HELP ME PLEASE :erm:

trying to view this page

http://customersupport.ea.com/loginapp/login.do?skin=eu&locale=en_GB&curl=http://eauk.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eauk.cfg/php/enduser/home.php&surl=http://eauk.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eauk.cfg/php/enduser/cci/ecp_redirect.php?ext_vars=cF9zaWQ9YmNibTk0dmomcF9h Y2Nlc3NpYmlsaXR5PTAmcF9yZWRpcmVjdD0*

sorry for the huge link

try it yourself.... does it work for you. i asked 8 people on my msn to try the link and everyone of them told me it works ok for them.

it should take you to the electronic arts customer support page to register games there.

so... why can myself and my neoghbour both on VM not view this page. tracert fails . constant ping fails. i need help. i just spent 30 quid buying games from ea and can not register them to play them.

edit: tried diffrent browsers out of desperation but made no diffrence

Druchii
11-04-2009, 18:05
Works fine.

Try changing the DNS servers to 4.2.2.3

Go here to find out how:
http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/network/dns.html

Hugh
11-04-2009, 18:06
Works fine from Leeds.

dd11
11-04-2009, 18:06
im on VM an it works for me.

sometimes doing the simplist of things like restarting pc, deleting tempory internet files, cookies etc can fix alot. somebody here will probs have a better resolution though.

Sirius
11-04-2009, 18:19
Works fine here in Warrington

KingDaveRa
11-04-2009, 18:19
For future reference:

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Very useful site!

Try using OpenDNS for DNS. I find a lot of issues are DNS related.

http://www.opendns.com/

Sirius
11-04-2009, 18:29
For future reference:

Very useful site!

Good post.

mofokk
11-04-2009, 18:34
right. im really stuck now

thanks to everyone for the good speedy answers that were easy to follow.

Works fine.

Try changing the DNS servers to 4.2.2.3

Go here to find out how:
http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/network/dns.html

tried this first. didnt help.

Originally Posted by KingDaveRa View Post
For future reference:

Very useful site!

i follwed the instructions and am now using opendns but i have exactly the same problems. the page in question will not open at all. i get connection interupted or connection timed out errors.

infact more often now i get this error

Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Azzer
11-04-2009, 19:18
I am a Virgin (cable) customer in the Huddersfield (Kirklees) area. That site doesn't load for me either. A number of sites aren't working.

www.which.co.uk is not loading for me either (how about you?)

I do not believe it to be a DNS problem whatsoever, as my computer is able to resolve the IP's for any domains working or not working. I believe it's a major router somewhere in Virgin's network that some sites (and only some customers) will be routing through.

Ebay is being problematic too as the subdomain "shop.ebay.co.uk" is failing (but does *ocassionally* work).

I ran some traceroutes of sites that did work, and sites that did not work... the ones that did not work look like this at the point they "die";

tracert customersupport.ea.com
5 172 ms 31 ms 31 ms lee-bb-b-xe-602-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.121]
6 * * * Request timed out.

tracert which.co.uk
5 33 ms 10 ms 9 ms lee-bb-b-xe-602-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.121]

tracert shop.ebay.co.uk
5 9 ms 9 ms 8 ms lee-bb-b-xe-602-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.121]

Other sites also failing at the same point, I'll edit/update if I find anymore that fail after the exact same hop: johnlewis.com

Sites that load fine do also go through the lee-bb-b-xe-602-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.121] hop, and the next hop they go to (which does not timeout) is "lee-bb-a-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.187.185]" - which obviously is a working hop since that's how far "working" sites reach (and get beyond!).

So I can only assume that some major router somewhere in the Leeds area is failing, whereas others in the Leeds network are fine (or that's my interpretation of what's happening).

mofokk - go to start->run, type in "cmd", in the dos box that opens enter "tracert which.co.uk", "tracert customersupport.ea.com", or "shop.ebay.co.uk" (or any other domains not loading for you), and wait for it to finish (if it starts timing out after 6-7 hops, you can press "ctrl-c" to stop it trying any more). Paste the last hop that "works" before it starts timing out, see if we have the same problem?

Ignitionnet
11-04-2009, 19:31
Virgin have been having transit and peering issues for a few days now - they appear to be ongoing.

mofokk
11-04-2009, 20:10
tracert to which.co.uk

19 31ms 28ms 28ms euf0300122-pip,eu,verio.net [91.186.176.201]
20 * * * request timed out

tracert to customersupport.ea.com

4 172 ms 31 ms 31 ms lee-bb-b-xe-602-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.121]
5 * * * Request timed out.

tracert to shop.ebay.co.uk

19 162ms 132ms 132mm ae-21-54.car1.denver1.lev13.net [4.68.107.102]
20 x x x timed out .

pretty obvious we have the same issues. as does my neighbour .

i have been posting issues regarding this for 1 week since i joined now ( see my posting history)

as you say its kind of hard to fault find as it can be intermittent at times making it hard to duplicate. but at busy periods its is certainly getting worse daily now rather than better.

this effects quite a few sites i view on a regular basis and is incredibly frustrating.

whats the next step. obviously there are issues here beyond our control so who to tell or what to do ?. im a new customer with VM and this is hardly what i expected when i signed up. iv only just received my first bill !.

ninja edit : i also find that a lto of my routes to site are damn long and hardly optimized. watching my route go via 25 hops and crossing overseas to reach a location in my country thats less than 100 miles from me seems odd.

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

also for the record while these issue are biting me my speed takes a big hit too

20mb broadband,. speedtest done on this forum

Overall Average Speed = approx 8138 Kbps, 7.95 Mbps

Rik
11-04-2009, 20:37
All links work fine on a VM 20Mb connection in Hertfordshire.

mofokk
11-04-2009, 20:59
can anybody suggest what to do now ?

seems we have managed to highlight quite a problem here. it may not effect the masses but its certainly screwing some of us.

AndyCambs
11-04-2009, 21:20
Obviously a conspiracy.........

Peter_
11-04-2009, 21:24
Works first time for me takes me to the login screen without any delay using FF3 on Linux.

Druchii
11-04-2009, 21:43

seems we have managed to highlight quite a problem here. it may not effect the masses but its certainly screwing some of us.
Try a proxy?

I'm sure some other members can suggest which ones to use.

Ignitionnet
11-04-2009, 21:47
Obviously a conspiracy.........

That's useful.

As I mentioned above VM have been having some transit and peering issues to a few places which seem to be especially affecting the North with traceroutes dying out on the VM core.

It's a fault, there've been a few recently.

Peter_
11-04-2009, 21:54
Try this and see if it works

--------------------------------------------------------

Proxy for IE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The proxy goes in your browser.

The proxy to use is : webcache.virginmedia.com

The port number is : 8080

How to set up proxy in Internet Explorer 6/7

Step 1 — On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
Step 2 — Under Proxy server, click to select the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.
Step 3 — In the Address box, type the IP address of the proxy server. (e.g. proxy.abc.com or 202.188.17.24)
Step 4 — In the Port box, type the port number that is used by the proxy server for client connections (by default, 8080).
Step 5 — You can click to select the Bypass proxy server for local addresses check box if you do not want the proxy server computer to be used when you connect to a computer on the local network.
Step 6 — Click OK to close the LAN Settings dialog box.
Step 7 — Click OK again to close the Internet Options dialog box.

Proxy for Firefox

Here is a proxy add on for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2464

To enable proxy settings in Firefox 3.0

Select Tools -> Options. ( In some Firefox browser's you have to go to Edit>Preferences usually in LInux )
Select Advanced.
Open the Network tab.
In 'Connections' area click 'Settings' button.
Select Manual Proxy Configuration radio button.
In the necessary proxy field(s), put the same settings in the HTTP field then
Click 'OK'

KingDaveRa
11-04-2009, 22:48

Only thing I can suggest is to contact support and wait. There's not a lot else you can do (barring proxies or VPNs).

mofokk
12-04-2009, 02:53
thanks for the help ( minus mr AndyCambs really didnt help me much buddy)

il try a proxy using the instructions given and cross ma fingers. but it sounds like its a matter of pestering/waiting for vm to fix there stuff :)

---------- Post added at 02:53 ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 ----------

Moldova your the man.

the proxy work around and your instructions for setting it up enable me to view the page i was after. at least i can use this as a work around untill VM fix there shizzle.

thanks again :)

Peter_
12-04-2009, 07:18
thanks for the help ( minus mr AndyCambs really didnt help me much buddy)

il try a proxy using the instructions given and cross ma fingers. but it sounds like its a matter of pestering/waiting for vm to fix there stuff :)

---------- Post added at 02:53 ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 ----------

Moldova your the man.

the proxy work around and your instructions for setting it up enable me to view the page i was after. at least i can use this as a work around untill VM fix there shizzle.

thanks again :)
Good to see that it works for you.;)

Azzer
12-04-2009, 17:26
I phoned Virgin up today (yes on Easter Sunday ;)) just to ensure they were aware of the routing problems (which are either happening in their Leeds datacentres, or to connections then hopping to Manchester from their Leeds datacentres). After convincing the technician that rebooting my modem, router and/or PC was not necessary and would be a waste of both our time, he checked it out and made mention to a number of "gambling" websites that were not working due to "routing issues" which they were already aware of, but were not aware of the sites I'd pointed out to be faulty.

What I didn't comment on the phone was my thoughts that if a major router was having faults in either Leeds or Manchester, it likely wouldn't magically only be routing gambling websites through it.

Anyway at the very least they are "aware & investigating the issue", now if they weren't already. Whether that means anything or not is another question.

Also, much to my horrible dismay, another casualty of war is my favourite shopping website "play.com" which is also failing at the same point and I can't buy anymore DVDs :(

moaningmags
12-04-2009, 17:32
Have you tried using the proxy settings above?

Azzer
12-04-2009, 18:16
Have you tried using the proxy settings above?

Yes proxy works fine, as it would - as it's going through different routing. But as a Virgin customer I like to make sure people (well, Virgin) are aware whenever things are broken! ;) So while I am saying "I can't access these sites :(", what I really mean is "I can't access these sites through Virgin but I don't want Virgin to have the impression that me fixing their problem means they can avoid fixing it themselves", hehe :P

Martyn
12-04-2009, 19:48
i been getting problems today, we shouldnt have to use proxys or alter dns's.. it should work..

mofokk
12-04-2009, 19:52
i have another request if possible. i noticed tonight i can not even play my games online. the games in question are the battlefield series. these require me to be able to log on to the EA master server to play online (easo.ea.com)

[Mod Edit (Rob M): Inline image changed to attachment]

asyou can see. same box appears to be the problem. my problem is that i have a proxy set up in firefox, explained above my post. but this obviously doesnt help when trying to connect to a server thru a game.

how do i set up a proxy thats not based within my browser ? is it possible ?
i need a noob friendly guide if possible as google results are baffling me.

Peter_
12-04-2009, 20:20
Yes proxy works fine, as it would - as it's going through different routing. But as a Virgin customer I like to make sure people (well, Virgin) are aware whenever things are broken! ;) So while I am saying "I can't access these sites :(", what I really mean is "I can't access these sites through Virgin but I don't want Virgin to have the impression that me fixing their problem means they can avoid fixing it themselves", hehe :P
This does sometimes happen on Virgin and that is Virgins own proxy that I posted earlier in the thread.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

i been getting problems today, we shouldnt have to use proxys or alter dns's.. it should work..

mofokk
12-04-2009, 20:41
can anyone suggest a work around for connecting to EA master servers within games such as battlefield.

?