PDA

View Full Version : Four years at uni, for what?

lucy7
10-04-2009, 08:10
My son, age 22 will finish uni this year.
Four years ago, he decided to study Quantity Surveying.
A good choice at the time, buidings going up all over the place and all that!

Now as you all know, thats all gone pear shaped.
The industry is getting rid of people, not taking them on.

Any ideas of what work he should be looking for, as all the posts he has applied for so far, he has not even recieved anything back from them.

We all are very concerned.

Nidge
10-04-2009, 08:42

Any ideas of what work he should be looking for, as all the posts he has applied for so far, he has not even recieved anything back from them.

Do what they all do, go and work in MacDonalds.

Damien
10-04-2009, 08:43
The market will return, he might have to look at other jobs if he can in the meantime. Hopefully one that is in some way linked to the degree. He is not the only person graduating into a poor job market.

The important thing to remember is that the four years are not wasted. He is more employable already, in any field, simply because he has a degree, and the experience itself would have been a good one to have. So try and keep positive about it. Keep searching for jobs, don't write off the degree and remember that eventually he will get the job he wants. A lot of time it's persistence that makes the difference when people graduate!

In the meantime here is a list of related jobs:
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/quantity_surveyor_related_jobs.jsp

popper
10-04-2009, 09:24

what do you mean "for what?", there are lots of UK people that would love to have had that same chance, but cant afford it.

he rather than you needs to expand his long term view....., for instance, he could do another degree in a related subject thats got prospects for the near future (4years+), or just expand your thinking, and do this and related searchs, and follow them up.

http://search.virginmedia.com/results/?channel=search&vml=ntl&vmt=&f=0&q=EU+contracts+%22Quantity+Surveying%22

tenders are always happening even in this downturn, and the EU rules are far better these days for UK firms looking to expand into the full EU markets, he could hitch a wild ride in that massive market place.

just because the Uk might be seeing a lowering of Quantity Surveying and related spend in your area, doesnt mean all the EU countrys are doing the same, theres always more places to expand and rebuild....

you and he have to think far better and longer term, especially at a mear 22 years old.

zing_deleted
10-04-2009, 09:29
I thought uni was for sex drugs parties and a bit of learning on the side lol lol :D

Hugh
10-04-2009, 09:34
what do you mean "for what?", there are lots of UK people that would love to have had that same chance, but cant afford it.

he rather than you needs to expand his long term view....., for instance, he could do another degree in a related subject thats got prospects for the near future (4years+), or just expand your thinking, and do this and related searchs, and follow them up.

http://search.virginmedia.com/results/?channel=search&vml=ntl&vmt=&f=0&q=EU+contracts+%22Quantity+Surveying%22

tenders are always happening even in this downturn, and the EU rules are far better these days for UK firms looking to expand into the full EU markets, he could hitch a wild ride in that massive market place.

just because the Uk might be seeing a lowering of Quantity Surveying and related spend in your area, doesnt mean all the EU countrys are doing the same, theres always more places to expand and rebuild....

you and he have to think far better and longer term, especially at a mear 22 years old.
The government have withdrawn funding for ELQ (equivalent or lower qualification - so if he has already done a degree, there will be no funding for another degree, only a Masters or PhD).

ELQ (http://www.bbk.ac.uk/news/birkbeck-briefings/elq-briefing/background/)

lucy7
10-04-2009, 09:36

Thank you for your response, even though as it does come over as a tad aggressive!!

Most do have the chance of doing a degree now, you just get yourself in debt, unless you have a parent funding you of course.

Damien, I have thanked personally, the link is appreciated.

Jon T
10-04-2009, 09:43
As an ex-supervisor of a team of "back to work/new deal" trainees, which I know is a lot different from this situation, but it has it's similarities, I have to say that he needs to look at what "transferable skills" he has, i.e. those which he has learned while doing his degree that aren't specific to quantity surveying and could be useful in another occupational area.

If he hasn't already, he needs to gain some experience of the real working world, I see far too many fresh University graduates that have got no idea at all how to function in the real world of work.

zing_deleted
10-04-2009, 09:48
Thank you for your response, even though as it does come over as a tad aggressive!!

Most do have the chance of doing a degree now, you just get yourself in debt, unless you have a parent funding you of course.

Damien, I have thanked personally, the link is appreciated.

ooooerrrr perks for Damien lol

Russ
10-04-2009, 09:48
Could teaching be an option?

Hugh
10-04-2009, 09:56
They prefer you to have a year out between degree and PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education) to get some "life experience", preferably working with children (Teaching Assistant, etc).

MovedGoalPosts
10-04-2009, 10:44
When I first saw the title of this thread, I was expecting the degree to be in a general subject which didn't really align itself to any particular career, and which to an employer would simply say "I'm educated". But in this case the degree is very vocational.

Unfortunately the entire contruction industry is in a mess at the moment. The number of surveying firms that have had major redundancies, with a number going to the wall, is unprecedented. Few if any firms are recruiting, and those that do have the pick of coandidates. The graduate is at the bottom of the pile as without any experience, they are next to useless for the first few months of their employment whilst they are shown the ropes. With many job seekers someone with a little experience is now likely to take that pay cut and junior position rather than take no job at all. All of which is of little comfort.

Have the RICS careers (which they seem to promote so heavily to members) got any suggestions? It may well be that a paid job may not be available in the industry for a while, but is there any voluntary or work experience shadowing that could be done for a while in conjunction with a part time / weekend job somewhere else?

downquark1
10-04-2009, 10:53
I don't know the exact syllabus for QS but wouldn't a math related career be possible, such as accounting?

Halcyon
10-04-2009, 11:29
Hi Lucy, I can understand how you must feel.
With the costs of University going up all the time you do feel pretty annoyed when you finish and can't find work.
I was in a similar situation in 2005 and even if there are not many offers at the moment maybe see if he can do some voluntary work. It will certainly look good on the C.V. and fill any gaps.

Does his Uni not have a job bank or some career centre that can offer advice?

Good luck and although it is depressing at the moment, tell him not to give up as he will get there in the end.

lucy7
10-04-2009, 11:36
Thanks for all the responses, some very good food for thought.

I would direct him to this thread, but he may then check all my other postings out on other topics, and would see me a whole new light!!

I have rung him and read some out though.
I think I worry more, as thats what Mums do best!

The uni so he says are not being much help though.
In the end he will just have to dig in deep, and something will turn up, maybe not as a QS, but as several have said, he can easily go off on a tangent.

Many thanks all.

Hugh
10-04-2009, 12:11
He could try mailshotting some of these companies Link1 (http://www.careerstructure.com/JobSearch/Results.aspx?Keywords=&JobType1=563&Radius=5) offering to work free for a month or two to show how keen and knowledgable he is (try before you buy), and here are some more job ads Link2 (http://www.thegraduate.co.uk/search.cgi?ls=long&so=&keywords=&location=e.g.+United+Kingdom&radius=16000&contract_all=1&cat=11&ro=4551&l=&e=year&a=31&searchButton=Go) and Link3 (http://www.skanska.co.uk/en/Careers/graduates-trainees/Graduate-positions/Graduate-Quantity-Surveyor/)

fireman328
10-04-2009, 13:10
Try the police, graduate entry, good pension and a real chance to progress to senior rank.

Padwan
10-04-2009, 13:46
Lucy, you worry too much.

As someone more or less in your sons position (22 years old, graduated a year ago), I can just imagine how embarrassed you son must be feeling right now that his mum is worrying about him publicly!!

Its all going to be alright. There's a recession, there's less construction work...but can't it only get better?

I graduated and thought I would never get a job because a degree in Classics=Guaranteed Unemployment. All the applications I sent out were rejected. I reevaluated what it was I actually wanted (please, please don't push your son into doing something just so you can say he is ''employed", he may regret it for life). I began teaching English, really enjoyed it, and 10 months later found my "real" job.

Your son can do what virtually all my "unemployed" friends are doing which is:

Go work in a pub (people never stop drinking no matter how bad it gets), send out targeted, personalised applications to employers, and wait for success, because one day it will come. Just be patient.

Patrick

Russ
10-04-2009, 13:55
Go work in a pub (people never stop drinking no matter how bad it gets),

Rrrrrrrrreally? :scratch:

Up until October I was managing a pub then one day without warning the licencee told us they were pulling out due to the economy. I spoke to the brewery who told me on average 6 pubs a day are closing across the UK.

Bar works is far from secure these days.

punky
10-04-2009, 13:56
I wouldn't panic just yet Lucy. The economy is crap but the housing market saw the first signs of recovery. He should be looking longer term as the economy will always go up and down. Regardless of the situation though, people will always need quantity surveyors as it is a skill that people can't just do or learn (unlike say painting and decorating)

I do think the same thoughts as your son though. I was told to go to university to get an educationt to guarantee me a job. I did software engineering (IT) and graduated in 2002 at a cost to me of over £10,000 (and rising with interest) not including all the bits my parents paid (including private school from 5-18). I got a degree and earn a pittance at my current job, on the verge of being made redundant and struggling to find another job. Meanwhile some of my friends who dropped out of state schools at 16 are earning £30k-£40k+ as heating engineers, police/firemen, electricians, etc. The heating engineer bloke himself said he's swamped with work.

They were ovbiously the smart ones.

lucy7
10-04-2009, 14:05
Lucy, you worry too much.

As someone more or less in your sons position (22 years old, graduated a year ago), I can just imagine how embarrassed you son must be feeling right now that his mum is worrying about him publicly!!

Its all going to be alright. There's a recession, there's less construction work...but can't it only get better?

I graduated and thought I would never get a job because a degree in Classics=Guaranteed Unemployment. All the applications I sent out were rejected. I reevaluated what it was I actually wanted (please, please don't push your son into doing something just so you can say he is ''employed", he may regret it for life). I began teaching English, really enjoyed it, and 10 months later found my "real" job.

Your son can do what virtually all my "unemployed" friends are doing which is:

Go work in a pub (people never stop drinking no matter how bad it gets), send out targeted, personalised applications to employers, and wait for success, because one day it will come. Just be patient.

Patrick

I am pleased I have started the thread, he doesnt care if its public, as it justs shows care and concern for him and his future.

Thanks for your imput though.

Hes just back home for the holidays now, and read all the posts, and one has just come in with loads of great links!

Padwan
10-04-2009, 14:07
Rrrrrrrrreally? :scratch:

Up until October I was managing a pub then one day without warning the licencee told us they were pulling out due to the economy. I spoke to the brewery who told me on average 6 pubs a day are closing across the UK.

Bar works is far from secure these days.

I'm sorry to hear about the pub, and the brewery statistic I suppose speaks for itself.

Even so, I have 3-4 friends working in bars...as far as they know their jobs aren't at risk - business as usual.

superbiatch
10-04-2009, 14:14
Meanwhile some of my friends who dropped out of state schools at 16 are earning £30k-£40k+ as heating engineers, police/firemen, electricians, etc. The heating engineer bloke himself said he's swamped with work.

They were ovbiously the smart ones.

Maybe not so much the smart ones, just less able to afford to go to uni - much like myself. Although, i don't think thats an excuse which can be used forever, if you want to gain qualifications you will do. Other than my GCSE's, i've gained every other qualification i possess by paying for myself or have been lucky enough for an employer to help out.

I'm sure your son will find work Lucy, it may not been in the area he wants for now, but a job is a job and its always easier to find work if you've got a job. Join agencies, take anything on offer as you never know where it can lead and its all experience on your CV.

lucy7
10-04-2009, 14:25
Thanks for that biatch.
He has actually got his finger out now, after reading all this, before he thought I was just nagging him about stuff!

I am from the university of life, and in the last few years have got a thriving business going.
My hubby set up many years ago, with no qualifications at all.
He now employs many staff, and is well respected within his industry.

I am old school, and would love it to be the old ways, but its not now, so we all have to go with the times.

MovedGoalPosts
10-04-2009, 16:00
One shouldn't get overly hung up on the idea that a degree in Quantity Surveying means you must go on to be a Quantity Surveyor, albeit that that is the logical course. OK, if he does have ambitions to become a Chartered Surveyor, then the career route options are limited as employment with a practice that can offer the necessary support and experience is essential. However there are other routes. From my Building Surveying course many years ago, one friend wanted nothing to do with surveying, did a few odd jobs for a year or so then one day decided he would use the degree and started drawing plans for house extensions, using a little advert in a local newspaper. 20 years of self employment later, and no chartered status in sight he is working flat out. What this indicates is simply that some lateral thinking may be required in order to fulfil his longer term career plans.

punky
10-04-2009, 19:46
Maybe not so much the smart ones, just less able to afford to go to uni - much like myself. Although, i don't think thats an excuse which can be used forever, if you want to gain qualifications you will do. Other than my GCSE's, i've gained every other qualification i possess by paying for myself or have been lucky enough for an employer to help out.

No, what I mean is they earn far more money than me (and some other of my IT colleagues) never short of work and do very good/flexible hours. Their descision to persue a trade job instead of an academic one is very smart in hindsight.

superbiatch
10-04-2009, 19:51
No, what I mean is they earn far more money than me (and some other of my IT colleagues) never short of work and do very good/flexible hours. Their descision to persue a trade job instead of an academic one is very smart in hindsight.

I see what you mean, i've got a crane driver friend who earns well in excess of 60k and i've got friends who are lecturers etc who earn less than 25k.

Maggy
26-04-2009, 16:44
Soory to bump this thread but I missed it as I was away at the time.

I can only point out that my daughter has a literature degree which wasn't proving any help in obtaining a job in any of the fields that seemed appropriate.However a chance visit to Specsavers to get some new glasses got her a suggestion from the ophthalmist/Managing Director of the shop that she should consider a career as a dispensing chemist and furthermore offering her a chance of a job in the meantime to see if she might like to find out what the job entailed.

Now 3 years after leaving Uni she is happily involved in working and training with that particular branch of Specsavers on the first half of a two year course.

Hope that inspires.

Earl of Bronze
29-04-2009, 17:29

Hi Lucy7, I'm a rather latecommer to this thread, but though I'd chip in my own tuppence worth....

I have a feeling that your son, whould be a very attractive candidate to The Royal Engineers as an officer (I was an enlisted member of the RE for 5.5 years back in my youth :D). I know for a fact that the army is not an attractive choice to many people. I also have no idea what the minimum terms of service required of an officer, but as long as there's a nation, there will be an army to protect it.... As a side effect of having been an officer, your son will most likely find his employability to be much higher than a number of other people... Certainly not the "old school network", but a professional qualification, plus X years in the army should show he's a grafter. :)

Maggy
29-04-2009, 18:04
Coggy :hugs: EoB who doesn't visit us nearly enough.

Actually speaking as the daughter and wife of former service personnel can attest that this can be the case BUT only if qualifications are acquired.;)

Earl of Bronze
30-04-2009, 01:53
Coggy :hugs: EoB who doesn't visit us nearly enough.

Actually speaking as the daughter and wife of former service personnel can attest that this can be the case BUT only if qualifications are acquired.;)

Hey Incog :hugs:, I had a suspision that was you hiding behind the forum team banner and name.

Mucho belated congrats on getting upgraded to a mod ! :D