PDA

View Full Version : Issues To news-europe.giganews.com

Ignitionnet
09-04-2009, 21:09
Hi all,

Please see the attachment, getting some quite weird connectivity to Giganews, stalling downloads.

Could someone please check and see if this is an issue confined to me or if it's a wider issue.

I did notice that the previous issue where traffic to Giganews was going out one way and back the other way is now fixed, traffic is symmetrical now.

Any other observations welcome.

xxnoelziexx
09-04-2009, 21:39
Hi all,

Please see the attachment, getting some quite weird connectivity to Giganews, stalling downloads.

Could someone please check and see if this is an issue confined to me or if it's a wider issue.

I did notice that the previous issue where traffic to Giganews was going out one way and back the other way is now fixed, traffic is symmetrical now.

Any other observations welcome.

I had the same issues I am currently in talks with virgin and Giganews about this mine are longer burst but virgin are telling me that virgin are doing throttling along the lines as the servers can handle a lot more than 20/50mb. I had a dual 100mb fibre through at work and mine would peak aroung 140ish back in 2005, I know Giganews is not the problem I will let you know what the outcome is on mine.

Ignitionnet
09-04-2009, 23:19
Hi,

Yes I know the issue is unlikely to be Giganews directly, they have multiple 10GbE links to AmsIX where VM are interconnecting and indeed I've seen people pulling 110Mbit/s from them on 120Mbit and myself pulled 91Mbit/s on a 100Mbit circuit.

It looks like a periodic burst of packet loss, perhaps from a routing path switch. I wonder if anyone else can advise seeing similar issues?

Fobic
09-04-2009, 23:28
Working fine here oop North on 20mbit.

I may be barking up the wrong tree (as usual), but have you tried it with your antivirus switched off ?

My thinking is, could those gaps coincide with the end of a complete file download (where the newsreader combines all the parts to make the whole file)?

Looking at your graph, the period of sustained download appears to widen as your speed diminishes (as if the stall happens after a fixed amount of data has been downloaded).

Just a thought.

KingDaveRa
10-04-2009, 10:30
GN was all over the place for me not so long ago. The sort of download speeds I was getting, I was thinking I'd been STMd until I downloaded from elsewhere.

Using Astranews now. They're cheaper, and I'm getting maxed-out downloads, so I'm chuffed.