PDA

View Full Version : Router Security Encryption

don_1
09-04-2009, 17:06
I have a wireless N Netgear WNR834B router amd i'm using WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption, will this effect my modem speed? Which is the best encryption to use with a 20Mb VM modem?

I am also using 'Mode' 270Mbps, should I leave that or should I lower that that to 54Mbps, as I have 802.11b/g WLAN on my laptop.

Thank

Raistlin
09-04-2009, 17:08
Any encryption that you use will have some overheads associated with it, and will slow your speed slightly. In practice though, unless you're using some seriously heavy (and I'm talking military grade encryption) you're unlikely to notice it.

In short, the benfits of encrypting will far outweigh the risks of not doing it.

Milambar
09-04-2009, 17:08
While a router will take a few microseconds to decode and encode the packets, it shouldnt be noticable to the user. WPA2-PSK is currently the most secure protocol.

don_1
09-04-2009, 17:10
So all my settings are correct, including the router 'Mode' at 270Mbps?

Cheers

Xteria
09-04-2009, 19:25
I assume by enabling encryption, it's only for wireless signals? and won't have any effect my wired connection to the router? Or am i a tard?

Azreal
09-04-2009, 19:53
nope your correct its only for the wireless connection

Stabhappy
09-04-2009, 20:04
It is worth mentioning though that if the encryption is heavy enough to degrade the maximum wireless speed, if a user tries to download over cable at the same time the lack of resources on the router would have a negative effect on the overall internet speed.

Xteria
09-04-2009, 22:50
Ah ok then. Will the wireless mode i select have any impact on my wired connection? (i.e upto 54mbps/145/300) This is our first wireless router, been skeptical about using them for a few years. .

Sorry to annoy, but also :D Is there anything i can use in the router settings, or seperate program, so that i can restrict the amount of bandwith my g/f is allocated on her laptop?

Stabhappy
09-04-2009, 23:07
No, the speed of wireless -generally- won't effect wired speed. But, like I mentioned, if you're doing a lot on the wireless (perhaps machine-to-machine encrypted transfers) the router has to do that AND serve internet to wired clients, if the encryption is too heavy you'll lose speed on the wired connections.

If this is the case, you could artifically limit the wireless using the 54/145/300 modes in order to reduce stress on the router