PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just love STM.

Jonathan90
09-04-2009, 16:09
Gotta love this

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1239291867&v=6709546

Even though the time is wrong on the speedtest link 14:08 you telling me i can download 1.2 gb in 8 minutes on a 10mb connection?

Why don't they sort this crap out.

telfordcable
09-04-2009, 16:11
oh yer, virgin is crap now ! STM will be worse on 50Mb soon.

I had enough - I going to join Sky Max Unlimited (rumour that Sky going to increase speed from 16Mb to 24Mb and increase upload speed to 2.5Mb) and no traffic on sky. My last day with virgin on 8th May. Bye bye crap virgin with rip off price as sky will be cheaper for me because I had sky tv already.

broadbandking
09-04-2009, 16:33
oh yer, virgin is crap now ! STM will be worse on 50Mb soon.

I had enough - I going to join Sky Max Unlimited (rumour that Sky going to increase speed from 16Mb to 24Mb and increase upload speed to 2.5Mb) and no traffic on sky. My last day with virgin on 8th May. Bye bye crap virgin with rip off price as sky will be cheaper for me because I had sky tv already.

Don't forget the price increase that Sky normally have twice a year.

kkevin666
09-04-2009, 18:19

They would have to go some to compare with only being able to download at the PAID FOR SPEED for only 8 mins.

STM is a traversty that VIRGIN are laughing in our faces at.

broadbandking
09-04-2009, 18:22
They would have to go some to compare with only being able to download at the PAID FOR SPEED for only 8 mins.

STM is a traversty that VIRGIN are laughing in our faces at.

Its been said many times you don't like STM you always have choice to move, I for one don't like STM but would rather have a 5Mb connection for 5 hours than a ADSL conneciton of 3Mb and never goes any higher.

Peter_
09-04-2009, 18:43
Its been said many times you don't like STM you always have choice to move, I for one don't like STM but would rather have a 5Mb connection for 5 hours than a ADSL conneciton of 3Mb and never goes any higher.
As far as I am aware I have not been STMed in over 2 years and I do download, I would still rather be STMed to 5Mb considering how far I am from my BT exchange plus the is no way I am paying for a phoneline to be installed.

The Installer
09-04-2009, 19:38
plus the is no way I am paying for a phoneline to be installed.

No need to if you go to Sky, they will refund you the cost of having the line installed ;)

Peter_
09-04-2009, 19:46
No need to if you go to Sky, they will refund you the cost of having the line installed ;)
Then I would have to put up with poor speeds due to the distance from my exchange which still makes a BT line the poor relation.:D

fizgog
09-04-2009, 20:07

Do you have a link for this, might be something worth considering.

Ignitionnet
09-04-2009, 21:16

Mind you the broadband has only increased once since release, and that only for those who don't use their telco and for some existing customers it's not happening until 2010.

I would appreciate a reference for these twice yearly price increases that Sky have please, mine appears to increase once a year so perhaps I'm exempt somehow?

Bonglet
09-04-2009, 22:44
Bt are also doing free line installations atm untill the end of june if you sign for 18 month contract got the flyer through mail today.

Might be worth my time ditching this now i've come to the conclusion there only bothered about ripping long term customers off.

Ignitionnet
09-04-2009, 23:21
BT usually have special deals going for ex-cable customers, last I heard it was a new line for 30GBP.

zer0
10-04-2009, 16:55
i especially love STM when they update the limits on their website and you find out the old limits still apply http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

frogstamper
11-04-2009, 02:26
i especially love STM when they update the limits on their website and you find out the old limits still apply http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Looking at the stm limits on this page I've noticed that the 10mb amounts differ, if your on 10mb now you get more allowance than if your going from 2mb to 10mb.
Are there going to be two types of 10mb?

Welshchris
11-04-2009, 03:03

i know of 2 people on Sky and they find it fine.

My sister gets around 6mb almost all the time, she is on the upto 8mb package.

My ex gets between 9-12mb almost all the time and hes on their upto 16mb package.

they said its much better than the 10mb service they were getting from Virgin.

telfordcable
11-04-2009, 04:22
Yes that right. My best mate getting 14Mb out of 16Mb at all the times (never drop speed all day) he download alots and still unlimited with sky max ! He choose sky max rather than Virgin STM. I don't blame him. He also say it much cheaper on sky max than 20Mb with virgin.

nexy33
11-04-2009, 07:07
only a tenner for upto 16 meg unlimited on sky if ya got talk 24/7 and the line install is free too. Having had virgins oh so laughable Vip your on the top package for everything till we lie bring something new out and your not with crap tv and stm'd to death 20 meg i moved to 50 meg which works well at mo but skys tv is way better. And for the fanbois who tout vod yeah it would be good if the stuff on it hadn't been played to death on comedy or bravo till they dumped it.

broadbandking
11-04-2009, 12:27
I am not debating people get good speeds via ADSL, as I only get used to get 1Mb from ADSL, I was merely saying that I would'nt get any higher than 3Mb so a 20Mb connection that drops to 5Mb is better than any ADSL connection I could get.