PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if you guys could help me

kujaeast
09-04-2009, 11:56
Hi, ive recently had my cable broadband installed and am already having so many issues with it. For some reason i can only access the internet if im running windows in safe mode with networking. If im doing this im getting a reasonably good speed, but the OS as a whole is pretty pants, i cant install a majority of files and PC updates which might even resolve my issues. If i try to connect using my normal windows sign in, it runs fine, but each time i try to use the internet i have very little or no connection. I was mainly wondering if my problems were because i have just been connected, but i dont understand because the internet works pretty well in safe mode with networking. Ive spoken to the tech support team, and they were no help. I hope someone out there can help me!

Kind Regards

Dean

Impz2002
09-04-2009, 12:01
if it works ok in safe mode then it is your system that is at fault not your connection. can you update the drivers for your network adapter ? that may be a good place to start

kujaeast
09-04-2009, 12:03
i might be able to, but as i can only connect in safe mode, 90% of the time things arent allowed to install. I'll have a look to see if any drivers can be updated though. Thanks for your help

Edit- Just to add, my Pc had a fresh install of windows before the internet was installed, and all drivers were installed at that time.

Tightscot
09-04-2009, 12:19
what version of Windows - XP, Vista home basic, business etc etc?

Also, do you have any security software installed - like Norton/McAfee etc etc?

kujaeast
09-04-2009, 12:30
I have tried to update my network adapter but there isnt a newer driver.
Im using XP home SP3 currently running no antivirus or firewall.
Also, i dont know if this is normal but my installation came with no setup CD, some guy came around and installed everything for me and i wasnt at home at the time. Is/was there an installation CD that comes with the broadband package? As i am scared that i will lose the little connection i have got if i try to reinnstall windows.

broadbandking
09-04-2009, 12:39
Just try installing windows XP again with the modem power not connected install al the drivers and then insert the power to the modem and see if that works.

You need some anti virus and firewall software aswell use this site for some good programs www.filehippo.com (http://www.filehippo.com), I use zonealarm free for my firewall and avast for anti virus which are both free, other good program for firewalls is comodo and for anti virus is AVG.

Mick Fisher
09-04-2009, 13:03
i might be able to, but as i can only connect in safe mode, 90% of the time things arent allowed to install. I'll have a look to see if any drivers can be updated though. Thanks for your help

Edit- Just to add, my Pc had a fresh install of windows before the internet was installed, and all drivers were installed at that time.
Are you logged in as an administrator? Sounds like you are using a Restricted Guest Account.

Dai
09-04-2009, 15:32
Are you logged in as an administrator? Sounds like you are using a Restricted Guest Account.

And safe mode would give admin status.. I never would have computed that on so little data.

:shocked:

kujaeast
09-04-2009, 18:51
yeah i am logging in as an administrator, but the downloads wont install in safe mode, and i cant connect normally to install them either...

I tried a fresh install of windows, but still no luck... I for one am stumped!?:confused:

Dai
09-04-2009, 19:10
yeah i am logging in as an administrator, but the downloads wont install in safe mode, and i cant connect normally to install them either...

I tried a fresh install of windows, but still no luck... I for one am stumped!?:confused:

How about if you download a package from safe mode then reboot into normal mode. Are you able to run an install from the download in that way?

I wonder if you need an updated Windows Installer package?

kujaeast
09-04-2009, 19:19

How about if you download a package from safe mode then reboot into normal mode. Are you able to run an install from the download in that way?

I wonder if you need an updated Windows Installer package?

ive tried this to, but it dosent work...i have no idea why, but it dosent. I'll have a look for an updated windows installer, as now im only using SP1. But im still confused as to why my internet works fine in safe mode, but not normally...?

Dai
09-04-2009, 21:27
Would you please do the following:

Boot system into 'normal' mode.
Start/Run 'CMD' to open dos window.
at prompt do IPCONFIG /ALL

post results but remove the 'Physical address' and the last couple of bits of your IP address.

also, check Device Manager and report any hardware showing warnings or errors.

Thx.
Dai.

Dai
11-04-2009, 14:19
<bump>

Did you get a result on this?

Ed2020
11-04-2009, 23:00
Im using XP home SP3 currently running no antivirus or firewall.

I think this statement may well indicate the cause of the problem.

I don't believe it's a driver issue. Windows is using the same network device drivers in safe mode as it is in normal mode.

If you are without AV and firewall protection (and not behind a router?) I'd say there is an excellent chance that you are infected with some kind of malware, and that is either blocking Internet connectivity or hosing your bandwidth to the point that it is unusable.

If you download and run HijackThis, and post the results log, we'll see if we can spot anything.

Ed.

Dai
12-04-2009, 07:07
The OP said a fresh install of XP SP3, so he should be clean and by default have the windows firewall enabled.
Although that may not be an ideal way to run long-term I would expect that he would remain clean for long enough to run these connection tests.

I'd still like to see the Ipconfig results.

Ed2020
12-04-2009, 11:01
The OP said a fresh install of XP SP3, so he should be clean and by default have the windows firewall enabled.
Although that may not be an ideal way to run long-term I would expect that he would remain clean for long enough to run these connection tests.

I'd still like to see the Ipconfig results.

I agree that the firewall should be on now, but reference was also made to running with just SP1 at some point. My assumption is that the Windows disc includes SP1, and SP2 & 3 have been subsequently downloaded and installed.

The firewall wasn't on by default until SP2. If the machine has become infected prior to SP3 being installed then it may very well not be on now.

Results of Netstat -a -o -b -f could be interesting too.

I could be wrong (I frequently am!), but I think it's something worth considering...

Ed.

Dai
12-04-2009, 11:25
lol, getting things wrong seems to be the best way to learn for me.
I take your point about the possibilities for infection. This is one of those infuriating situations that could probably be diagnosed and fixed in 5 minutes if you had sight of the machine.

Ah well, since the OP seems to have vanished perhaps it's been resolved.

Mick Fisher
12-04-2009, 13:08
Well I have heard of machines being infected within minutes of being online without a firewall so Ed's suggestion sounds a good one to me.

Such a pity that so many of these type of threads go quiet before an outcome is published. A bit like an Agathe Christie Novel with the last couple of pages torn out. :(

Toto
12-04-2009, 13:41
Yup, going to go with the infected system as well.

Dai
12-04-2009, 14:35
I'll reserve judgement on that, pending further information. Seems to me that the majority of attack vectors these days want to keep you on-line.

Whether to use you as a spambot or grab passwords or whatever, it's still necessary to have the connection intact.

Toto
12-04-2009, 18:18
I'll reserve judgement on that, pending further information. Seems to me that the majority of attack vectors these days want to keep you on-line.

Whether to use you as a spambot or grab passwords or whatever, it's still necessary to have the connection intact.

They do want to keep you online, the problem is that poorly written code, and multiple connections from various bot controllers can often mean that a persons upstream is so saturated that any out bound network connection becomes impossible.

Like you say though, judgement should be reserved, and knowing what IP address they are getting could help as part of an on-going investigation.

Martyn
12-04-2009, 21:52
welcome to the world of virgin media.. these issues you are getting are probably the start of many more to come.. =-/

kujaeast
13-04-2009, 11:17
hi guys, sorry for the long delay, had a mountain of issues but finaly overcame them all. Thanks to all that helped me along the way, it was much appreciated! So this is virgin broadband huh... cant wait!! :/ haha!

thanks again

Dean

Mick Fisher
13-04-2009, 12:51
Thanks for the long awaited explanation of what was causing your issues.

Oh wait......You bothered to explain nothing. :dozey:

Dai
13-04-2009, 17:00
Thanks for the long awaited explanation of what was causing your issues.

Oh wait......You bothered to explain nothing. :dozey:

Kujaeast - to add to Mick's brief comments above. One of the things that helps this forum be a help to others is to have threads that end with a summary of what fixed a problem.

With a full report from problem to solution the information can often help others with similar issues.