PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling

lucy7
08-04-2009, 18:19
I have heard this is good to watch.
Anyone been recently, have you good reports on it?

I once bought my son a blue plastic wrestling ring and lots of little figures, may dig em out if amyone wants them!!

;):)

Russ
08-04-2009, 18:22
Been wrestling for 3 years but I do refereeing more than anything these days due to a back injury.

There's only 2 types of wrestling, good wrestling and bad wrestling, at a poorly organised show you'll see really bad wrestling.

Good entertainment, escapism and a laugh.

Gary L
08-04-2009, 18:27
I have heard this is good to watch.
Anyone been recently, have you good reports on it?

Wrestling is so fake. there's people that think it's all for real :)

Russ
08-04-2009, 18:30
Wrestling is so fake.

I've broken my nose, dislocated my shoulder, strained my knee ligament and had a compressed disk in my spine, all from wrestling. Fake you say? The outcomes are predetermined but the injuries are very real.

Gary L
08-04-2009, 18:35
I've broken my nose, dislocated my shoulder, strained my knee ligament and had a compressed disk in my spine, all from wrestling. Fake you say? The outcomes are predetermined but the injuries are very real.

You probably didn't rehearse the choreography enough :)
people will suffer injuries, but it's been fake since the day of Big Daddy.

Russ
08-04-2009, 18:38

Longer than that actually. But you're the fool if you think anyone seriously believes it's real. The professionals of the WWE get injured all the time, anyone who claims to have a career in wrestling and not get hurt is a liar. Taking a powerbomb for example isn't risk-free.

alferret
08-04-2009, 18:40
Just finished watching WM25, I enjoyed the spectacle of the entertainment HBK & Takers match was by far the best I have seen in a long while.

And yes Gary its fake for the most part but as Russ says the injuries are more than real and its not all choreographed FYI.

papa smurf
08-04-2009, 18:40

i went to see him --easy easy -easy--;)

Russ
08-04-2009, 18:41
Just finished watching WM25, I enjoyed the spectacle of the entertainment HBK & Takers match was by far the best I have seen in a long while.

Anyone who doubts the art of the business ought to be made to watch that match. Best I've ever seen, and HBK's had loads.

Gary L
08-04-2009, 18:42
i went to see him --easy easy -easy--;)

My nan used to jump out of her seat when it was Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks :)

zing_deleted
08-04-2009, 18:47
Wrestling is so fake. there's people that think it's all for real :)

Dude take it from me these guys are tough. Yes its a show but you try dropping from the top of a cage even with the give in the ring its quite a blow.Ive spent quite a number of years in full and hard contact martial arts and fighting I know what work goes into conditioning to take the blows . Also the moves would work in the street if used with aggression and you could kill someone easy

papa smurf
08-04-2009, 18:47

grannies used to smack the hell out of any and every one in striking distance it was a great nights entertainment ;)

Russ
08-04-2009, 18:51
Clearly faked... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDouERQ7EmE

So how do you fake falling almost 30 feet through a wooden table (which has tv monitors on it) and on to a concrete floor?

Gary L
08-04-2009, 18:52
Dude take it from me these guys are tough. Yes its a show but you try dropping from the top of a cage even with the give in the ring its quite a blow.Ive spent quite a number of years in full and hard contact martial arts and fighting I know what work goes into conditioning to take the blows . Also the moves would work in the street if used with aggression and you could kill someone easy

I'm not saying it's fake in that it's not really physical. it's probably because I'm still remembering the Dickie Davies days, and that I hate anything that is American :)

lucy7
08-04-2009, 18:52

Gosh, I must be older than I think, I can remember them too, and Mick Macmanus, the one who dyed his hair black all the time.

I loved the Saturday afternoon shows ages ago, I was a kid then, but have memories watching it with my Dad.

Gary L
08-04-2009, 18:53
grannies used to smack the hell out of any and every one in striking distance it was a great nights entertainment ;)

"Can I have some pop now nan?" she'd grab you and sit on you till the end of the program :)

lucy7
08-04-2009, 18:55
Clearly faked... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDouERQ7EmE

So how do you fake falling almost 30 feet through a wooden table (which has tv monitors on it) and on to a concrete floor?

Was it a rubber mat, painted to look like concerete Russ???;);)

JOKE!

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Are you still a good looker though, with all those injuries???;)

papa smurf
08-04-2009, 18:56
Gosh, I must be older than I think, I can remember them too, and Mick Macmanus, the one who dyed his hair black all the time.

I loved the Saturday afternoon shows ages ago, I was a kid then, but have memories watching it with my Dad.

old cauliflower lugs --oh nostalgia

Gary L
08-04-2009, 19:04

You are 48. how old did you think you was? :)

who was the one who didn't like getting his hair messed up?

lucy7
08-04-2009, 19:09
You are 48. how old did you think you was? :)

who was the one who didn't like getting his hair messed up?

48 is my pretend age, I am really 72!!!

Was it Tally Ho Keye?
Or possibly Gay Vince Randall?

Gary L
08-04-2009, 19:20
48 is my pretend age, I am really 72!!!

And you're grey and not blonde? :(

Or possibly Gay Vince Randall?

That was him.

lucy7
08-04-2009, 19:23
And you're grey and not blonde? :(

That was him.

Purple rinse coming my way!!

I love getting things right (gay vince!) took me a long hard thought though!

With age comes wisdom....................... sometimes!!!! NOT

Russ
08-04-2009, 19:26
I posted this in a similar thread a year or 2 ago and it's still as applicable to this day...(written by a mate of mine)...

Professional Wrestling – The Lost Artform

During the holiday season I took my girlfriend to see Swan Lake on Ice by the Imperial Ice Stars and I marvelled. I marvelled at the fantastic arena, amazing production and the talented performers who attempted to portray the classic Swan Lake story whilst not actually being able to use words to convey exactly what was happening. Being an entertainer myself, I could appreciate what went into making this magical event happen.

I then imagined how different it would all be if the same event was conducted as a wrestling event. When one of the male skaters dropped one of the female skaters accidentally, the crowd that night were quite rightly concerned for her well being. At a wrestling event, the crowed would have been busy chanting, “You screwed up! You screwed up!” When the impressive sword fight occurred and the bad guy was stabbed with the sword, the crowd were on the edge of their seat. If it was a wrestling crowd, the conversations would have been about how, “he didn’t really stab him.” Welcome to the backwards world of professional wrestling, the most unfairly stigmatised performance art in Britain.

I’ve been involved in the world of Professional Wrestling for coming on two years now which is virtually no time at all, however, in that short space of time I’ve had some wonderful experiences, travelling to England and Ireland along with performing in front of Welsh fans in Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil and Abertillery. This has been able to give me an eye into the business to experience what I love to term “wrestlophobia” first hand. And I’ll give you an example.

Celtic Wrestling is looking to set up a new training school in Cardiff so I came up with the idea of trying to obtain funding. I’m not only committed to giving what I can for Welsh Wrestling now but for future generations too. First thing I did was contact the Sports Council for Wales. They weren’t interested on the basis that they would only fund schemes that meant people could end up competing at events like the Olympics. Which I can understand. I then contacted the Arts Council for Wales. The conversation was hilarious. First off she said we should be speaking to the Sports Council. I explained their opinion and as we are entertainment, we should be covered under the Arts Council.

She explained that entertainment had nothing to do with performance art. I asked, “well aren’t music, dance and acting all forms of both performance art and entertainment?” That stumped her. However, it did little to change anything. They wouldn’t even allow me to send in evidence of why wrestling is performance art. They just weren’t interested. They were totally and inexplicably “wrestlophobic.”

Refusing to be defeated, I contacted a Welsh Assembly member who on the website stated she had interests in both Performance Art and Sports. I didn’t really expect a response, however, she did e-mail back saying she had no idea how to advise me and that she’d make enquiries. Sadly that’s as far as things went. I’d like to think she wasn’t overcome with “wrestleophobia” after all she is a busy woman and I thank her for making more effort then most.
Once you’ve read the above you can appreciate what we’re up against. One of my ex-girlfriends moved to Liverpool to sit a degree in Dancing. Where’s the degree in professional wrestling? That’s right, one doesn’t exist. I hope other people in the entertainment business appreciate what they have!

Despite what the Arts Council for Wales thinks, wrestling is such a complex artform. We have to perform to the levels of a dancer, act like an…actor and even music is highly important. If you’ve ever watched wrestling then when you see a wrestler come out he/she will have his/her own music that you instantly relate to and there are times when the hair on the back of your neck can stand up when you hear the music of your hero coming to save the day. I know because I’ve experienced it. And that’s why I love wrestling. And that’s why I love being a wrestler.

Thing is, despite all of the problems facing wrestling, fans in Wales and indeed the UK have probably never had it so good. British Wrestlers are getting so good that they are applying their trade over in Northern America. Paul Birchill, Steven Regal and others are working for the WWE, little Spud is showing what he’s got in TNA and closer to home, Celtic Wrestling stars Matt Vaughn and Steven Garter have just flown off to Canada to train with ex-WWE star Lance Storm with Chris Petherwick and Rebecca James soon to follow. Caiman and Tyler Browne are also representing us in Irish Promotion “Irish Whiplash Wrestling.”

In Wales there are four different promotions all providing top class entertainment. Of course I’d rather see you at a Celtic Wrestling show but then I am hugely biased! At Celtic we have group of hardworking individuals of varying ages who go out on virtually a weekly basis to entertain the general public, all you have to do is turn up and appreciate what’s on offer. Don’t look at it with the attitude that, “this isn’t real” because if you think like that then I’ve got news for you. King Kong was a computer generate graphic, there are no Pirates in the Caribbean and Pauline Fowler is an actress who isn’t really dead. Get my point? And don’t tell me it doesn’t hurt, I’m covered in bruises head to toe on a weekly basis.

Oh and one more thing that any self respecting wrestler should tell you. Don’t try this at home