PDA

View Full Version : Two routers on network

asalcedo
08-04-2009, 17:57
VM 50MB/s has just been installed at home with the VM modem and Netgear WNR2000 router.

I have also ADSL2+ with Be Un Limited, via a SpeedTouch 780WL modem/router.

The VM modem is connected to the Netgear router via the uplink then the router is connected to a switch via one LAN port.

The SpeedTouch is connected to the switch via one LAN port (The Speedtouch does not have an uplink port)

I need to have the two routers working at the same time so that I can have internet at any time and so that the Be Un Limited fixed IP address can provide access to IP cameras and other devices that work better with fixed IP addresses. Additionally, the Speedtouch router allows me to broadcast packages, VoIP, and many other fine adjustments via a highly powerful CLI, far more than the Netgear's.

Any computer will get internet access from the desired router by changing the gateway address and DNS servers.

I have disabled DHCP in the Netgear router and left DHCP on in the SpeedTouch router.

I have configured manually all IP addresses in the network for all relevant devices.

For those that require high internet speed access but no fixed IP I use as gateway the IP address of the Netgear router. For those that required fixed IP address and that, coincidentally, do not require the highest internet speed, I have used as gateway the IP address of the Speedtouch router.

All works great except that the Speedtouch router keeps losing internet connection. It does not happen as soon as I switch off the Netgear router.

Anybody knows what I need to configure in the Speedtouch to avoid this?

NAT off?

Thanks,

Antonio

leexgx
08-04-2009, 18:33
make sure both routers are not on the same ip range
(netgear 192.168.0.1 and speedtouch 192.168.1.1) DHCP can only be on for one device as you have all ready done

not sure what you are talking about Uplink port + cables, i know what it is its simple an cross wired port nothing important only time i have seen that is on Dual speed hubs (Buy an 8 port Switch)
the 2 routers should be Pluged into an switch not into each other then the pcs should run off the switch
----
i be able to talk tonight if you wish to talk to me more about this or explane how you got it configered in PM to me

Hom3r
08-04-2009, 18:41
Are they using the same channel?

popper
08-04-2009, 18:52
your asking about a MultiWAN setup were you can set Load Balancing (aka one sided Bonding) and Failover of multiple Internet connections for instance ......

try reading up on http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/ it seems to be all anyone might want for your small and large MultiWAN Home/community setup and ran WAN and LAN networks....

a report of it's setup and ease of use would be a very good thing to see here if you try it....

the MB is here http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

asalcedo
08-04-2009, 19:11
Hi leexgx,

Thank you for your help.

I followed your suggestion of giving the netgear a different ip range, 192.168.0.1. And 192.168.1.254 for the speedtouch.

It worked for a couple of minutes. After that, the speedtouch stopped working.

I do have the two routers connected to the switch.

Most PC and devices are connected to that switch.

The speedtouch router has three other ports connected to different devices and PCs

make sure both routers are not on the same ip range
(netgear 192.168.0.1 and speedtouch 192.168.1.1) DHCP can only be on for one device as you have all ready done

not sure what you are talking about Uplink port + cables, i know what it is its simple an cross wired port nothing important only time i have seen that is on Dual speed hubs (Buy an 8 port Switch)
the 2 routers should be Pluged into an switch not into each other then the pcs should run off the switch
----
i be able to talk tonight if you wish to talk to me more about this or explane how you got it configered in PM to me

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Hi popper,

Although multiload balancing could be a more efficient way to use the available bandwith and of solving my issue, it is not a route I want to go because of its complexity and because I have enough bandwith already.

All I need is to have both modems and routers working as the same time in a stable fashion.

your asking about a MultiWAN setup were you can set Load Balancing (aka one sided Bonding) and Failover of multiple Internet connections for instance ......

try reading up on http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/ it seems to be all anyone might want for your small and large MultiWAN Home/community setup and ran WAN and LAN networks....

a report of it's setup and ease of use would be a very good thing to see here if you try it....

the MB is here http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

popper
08-04-2009, 19:57
whats complex about a LiveCD/DVD you put in your old PC (with 2 old and cheap 100Mbit ethernet cards pluged into your WAN routers LAN ports and a single cheap RTL 1000Mbit/1gig ethernet card pluged into the switch for the Lan section) and boot up from the DVD drive.

it would even work with a virtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/ if you have a few PCi or USB ethernet cards handy to assign to the Virtual machine, or even virtual IPs assigned through a 1gig Vnet card

asalcedo
08-04-2009, 20:10
I don't exclude doing that if needed.

I prefer to try configuring my present routers and devices without any further hardware or software.

whats complex about a LiveCD/DVD you put in your old PC (with 2 old and cheap 100Mbit ethernet cards pluged into your WAN routers LAN ports and a single cheap RTL 1000Mbit/1gig ethernet card pluged into the switch for the Lan section) and boot up from the DVD drive.

it would even work with a virtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/ if you have a few PCi or USB ethernet cards handy to assign to the Virtual machine, or even virtual IPs assigned through a 1gig Vnet card

synner
08-04-2009, 20:34
Hi,

Have you tried using completely different IP ranges for both devices ?

Try using the standard 192.168.1.254 for the Be Speedtouch, make sure DHCP is only on one router, or preferably use static IP's on your machines if possible.

Then setup the second router with an IP range in the 10.0.1.1 range..

Also, make sure nothing is looping on the switch. I once had a problem at work where a router would keep dropping every 15 minutes or so, it turned out that someone thought they were being tidy and plugged both ends of a cable into 2 ports on the same switch.. The router was going crazy trying to assign DHCP addresses over and over !

Bri

asalcedo
08-04-2009, 21:40
Yeap, I've tried 10.0.1.1 for the Netgear. Same as before. It worked for a few minutes then the Speedtouch drops off.

Hi,

Have you tried using completely different IP ranges for both devices ?

Try using the standard 192.168.1.254 for the Be Speedtouch, make sure DHCP is only on one router, or preferably use static IP's on your machines if possible.

Then setup the second router with an IP range in the 10.0.1.1 range..

Also, make sure nothing is looping on the switch. I once had a problem at work where a router would keep dropping every 15 minutes or so, it turned out that someone thought they were being tidy and plugged both ends of a cable into 2 ports on the same switch.. The router was going crazy trying to assign DHCP addresses over and over !

Bri

synner
09-04-2009, 09:14
Yeap, I've tried 10.0.1.1 for the Netgear. Same as before. It worked for a few minutes then the Speedtouch drops off.

Hi,

Sounds like a DHCP problem as the routers shouldn't really talk to each other unless one or the other is trying to request a DHCP lease.

Have you tried switching DHCP off on both routers and assigning static IP's ?

asalcedo
09-04-2009, 09:26
I intended to do that but have not done it yet because one of the computers attached to the speedtouch needs automatic IP, because it is used elsewhere often. Thus, DHCP is on in the speedtouch and off in the Netgear

I will give it a try though, at least temporarily

Hi,

Sounds like a DHCP problem as the routers shouldn't really talk to each other unless one or the other is trying to request a DHCP lease.

asalcedo
09-04-2009, 12:37
Hi,

Hi, I have just done it.

I have entered the following CLI command in the Speedtouch:

dhcp server config state=disabled

I have all devices attached to the Speedtouch with static IP addresses except for one laptop with automatic IP. The speedtouch has been configur
ed to always assign the same IP address to that laptop NIC MAC address.

Same problem as before.