PDA

View Full Version : Fixed IP Address

asalcedo
08-04-2009, 11:41
I got yesterday connected to the 50MB/s service.

I selected "Use Static IP Address" in the Negear WNR2000 router that they provided.

It worked well for a while but this morning I did not have Internet.

Resetting the modem and router did not help.

It was fixed only when I clicked on "Get dynamically Internet IP address from ISP".

My IP address is the same as yesteday anyway.

I do need/wish fixed IP address.

Does VM provide fixed IP addresses?

If so, to get a fixed IP address is it a matter of just clicking on "Use Static IP Address" or do I need to contact VM ?

Thanks,

Antonio

Stuart
08-04-2009, 12:07
VM do not offer static IPs on their residential service.

What they do offer is what they apparently call Sticky IPs. Basically, the way their system works is that when your modem requests a new IP, generally (unless there has been network maintenance or there is some other reason), you'll get the same one you just had.

They do this anyway.

The Use static IP address option on your router is there because the router is not designed specifically for Virgin. It is designed for general network use, When it is ticked, generally routers will not look on the network for an IP, but will use whichever one you enter (although it has to be a valid IP assigned by your ISP otherwise it will not work). As such, you should only use the option when you are directed to do so by your ISP and using the details they give you.

Depending on what you need the fixed IP for, a "Dynamic DNS" service (such as http://www.dyndns.com/ ) may be of some help. You either need to have a small program running on your PC or have support built into your router, but they allow you to get a domain name which will point to your PC or router regardless of the IP it is given.

Peter_
08-04-2009, 12:08
Virginmedia only use Dynamic IP addresses so setting you IP to Static can and will lose the connection.

Sticky IP's are only provided through the business arm http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/ and being business orientated you will be expected to pay more for that facility.

asalcedo
08-04-2009, 12:33
Hello Stuart,

Thank you for your helpul and precise message.

I am familiar with DynDns, although not ideal, I will revert to that.

My other ISP, Be Un Limited, does offer fixed IP addresses at no extra cost.

Any chances that VM will do the same even if at a reasonable cost?

Regards,

Antonio

VM do not offer static IPs on their residential service.

What they do offer is what they apparently call Sticky IPs. Basically, the way their system works is that when your modem requests a new IP, generally (unless there has been network maintenance or there is some other reason), you'll get the same one you just had.

They do this anyway.

The Use static IP address option on your router is there because the router is not designed specifically for Virgin. It is designed for general network use, When it is ticked, generally routers will not look on the network for an IP, but will use whichever one you enter (although it has to be a valid IP assigned by your ISP otherwise it will not work). As such, you should only use the option when you are directed to do so by your ISP and using the details they give you.

Depending on what you need the fixed IP for, a "Dynamic DNS" service (such as http://www.dyndns.com/ ) may be of some help. You either need to have a small program running on your PC or have support built into your router, but they allow you to get a domain name which will point to your PC or router regardless of the IP it is given.

Peter_
08-04-2009, 12:36
My other ISP, Be Un Limited, does offer fixed IP addresses at no extra cost.

Any chances that VM will do the same even if at a reasonable cost?

Virgin do not provide static IP's for residential customers, I work for them so I should know.;)