PDA

View Full Version : Sick and tired of this....

CrazyMateFTW
07-04-2009, 22:35
Every day, I am downloading more than 3GBs before I get to the cap time.... yet it still throttles my speed. Why???? Even now, im still capped.... I wish I could leave Virgin and go with BT or someone else but im 17, and my mum has the say in what we use so im stuck with this sh*tty service for now. Anyone got anything to help me understand the capping a little better and also if I rung them up about this problem, would they do anything about it?

moaningmags
07-04-2009, 22:37
Are you ADSL or Cable?

CrazyMateFTW
07-04-2009, 22:40
Are you ADSL or Cable?

Cable

im on the 10MB service getting 1.2MB DL speed when not capped and a max of 289KB/s when capped ¬_¬

The Installer
07-04-2009, 22:43
Cable

im on the 10MB service getting 1.2MB DL speed when not capped and a max of 289KB/s when capped ¬_¬

Download 2.4GB during the day and you'll get STMd

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

moaningmags
07-04-2009, 22:44
Don't download from 10am - 3pm or from 4pm - 9pm.
Don't upload from 3pm - 8pm.

Unless you're in the trial area in which case there's different times and rules.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

CrazyMateFTW
07-04-2009, 22:48

Unless you're in the trial area in which case there's different times and rules.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

If I call them, will anything change?

AbyssUnderground
07-04-2009, 22:49
If I call them, will anything change?

No. The same rules apply for everyone, except those in the trial area.

moaningmags
07-04-2009, 22:49
No, traffic management has been active since May 2007.

haydnwalker
07-04-2009, 22:50
Doubt it...

Rik
07-04-2009, 23:22
You could always upgrade to 20Mb, that would increase the the STM thresholds, but also the price.

You're worth it tho! :D
Just be really nice to mother and see how you get on :)

AbyssUnderground
07-04-2009, 23:28
Anyone got anything to help me understand the capping a little better...

Look at http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Gary L
07-04-2009, 23:39

What she's saying is, don't use the internet in normal waking hours :)

If everyone was to set their downloads to start at midnight, do you think it would be slower or faster than it would be if everyone was all STMd instead?

moaningmags
07-04-2009, 23:42
What she's saying is, don't use the internet in normal waking hours :)

If everyone was to set their downloads to start at midnight, do you think it would be slower or faster than it would be if everyone was all STMd instead?

She's that cat's mother!!

And that's not what I said, try reading it again.
I said don't download or upload, I never said don't browse the web, play games etc.
So don't go putting words in my mouth :mad:

Gary L
07-04-2009, 23:52
She's that cat's mother!!

I didn't want to say your name. I thought you'd tell me off for being too formal.

And that's not what I said, try reading it again.
I said don't download or upload, I never said don't browse the web, play games etc.
So don't go putting words in my mouth :mad:

I meant it as it's the advice Virgin media gives, but through you.
that's made it worse hasn't it?
download and upload is browsing the web and playing games if you want to be picky!!! :)

One day I'll find a woman with a sense of humour and not the usual moaning one :)

moaningmags
08-04-2009, 00:02
Mags is informal.

I've never been trained to give advice that says don't download or upload during those times.
And yes you are being picky, but I knew you would be.

Caspar
08-04-2009, 00:23
Every day, I am downloading more than 3GBs before I get to the cap time.... yet it still throttles my speed. Why???? Even now, im still capped.... I wish I could leave Virgin and go with BT or someone else but im 17, and my mum has the say in what we use so im stuck with this sh*tty service for now. Anyone got anything to help me understand the capping a little better and also if I rung them up about this problem, would they do anything about it?

When I was 17, I had an AOL 56K dial-up connection!!!!! ;)

Come on, get a perspective dude!

CrazyMateFTW
10-04-2009, 20:17
well ive upgraded to 20MB now, downloading stuff double the speed which is real good, but still get capped which is annoying :( Ah well at least the cap speed is only half of 10MB which is good i guess..

graf_von_anonym
11-04-2009, 01:12
When I was 17, I had an AOL 56K dial-up connection!

56K? 56K? Ee, that's luxury. When I were seventeen we had to fetch packets by 'and...

AndyCambs
11-04-2009, 06:39
Thats one heck of a lot of I-Tunes being downloaded then....

moroboshi
11-04-2009, 11:07
As another 'abuser' of the service, that is to say, I download movies from the internet (iTunes, Xbox Live etc) I feel the caps are beyond ridiculous. Virgin's self proclaimed 'mother of broadband' is simply not fit for purpose, and I wish someone would take them to task over it. (and their lies over it being a fibre optic network, which as we all know is only partly true)

scu11y69
11-04-2009, 11:15
As another 'abuser' of the service, that is to say, I download movies from the internet (iTunes, Xbox Live etc) I feel the caps are beyond ridiculous. Virgin's self proclaimed 'mother of broadband' is simply not fit for purpose, and I wish someone would take them to task over it. (and their lies over it being a fibre optic network, which as we all know is only partly true)

a vm enginier confirmed to me that it aint even fibre to the cabnet

sparky621
11-04-2009, 12:23
As another 'abuser' of the service, that is to say, I download movies from the internet (iTunes, Xbox Live etc)

How dare you download from the internet, you're degrading the "service" for everyone else:D

Imagine if the gas companies etc did the same. You're using too much gas so we're cutting your supply to 25%. Or your household uses too much electricity so we're dropping your voltage to 57.5 V:(

CrazyMateFTW
11-04-2009, 12:27
How dare you download from the internet, you're degrading the "service" for everyone else:D

Imagine if the gas companies etc did the same. You're using too much gas so we're cutting your supply to 25%. Or your household uses too much electricity so we're dropping your voltage to 57.5 V:(

Dog eat dog world, cant keep up gtfo

Kymmy
11-04-2009, 13:00

I used to use a 300bps acoustic coupler...

Weird thing is that in some applications over 20 years later I still send data at 300bps ;)

sparky621
11-04-2009, 14:18
Dog eat dog world, cant keep up gtfo

Erm..have you taken me wrong? I was being tongue in cheek. You pay for bandwidth but VM don't want you to use it!

Turkey Machine
11-04-2009, 15:01
I used to use a 300bps acoustic coupler...

Weird thing is that in some applications over 20 years later I still send data at 300bps ;)

We have a parallel 56k modem at work that every month sends some data to an accounts company across the road. :)

I have a 56k modem built into my laptop, I got one on my desktop, and a PCI one floating about at home somewhere, and the cables to go with it. They're incredibly useful, especially if you happen to be on Virgin's ultra-s*** ADSL service, where if you download too much, you get throttled to 80k. And they claim "that's just a bit faster than a dial-up connection", and probably a lot less reliable as a result too! :D

Ignitionnet
11-04-2009, 22:05
a vm enginier confirmed to me that it aint even fibre to the cabnet

Fibre to the node, not all cabinets have fibre to them.

Hom3r
11-04-2009, 22:38
When I was 17, I had an AOL 56K dial-up connection!!!!!

When I was that young 9k:shocked:

frogstamper
12-04-2009, 03:15

When I was that young 9k:shocked:

When I was 17 I had "Pong". :D

Peter_
12-04-2009, 08:24
When I was 17 I had "Pong". :D
The brown unit with the 2 knobs on including the players.:D

Magnavox Odyssey
First home video game console

Download Failed (1)https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/49.jpg