PDA

View Full Version : o2 Wi-Fi question

Slyder
07-04-2009, 22:24
All

Thinking of getting the C905 which has wifi... (i assumed wifi would be free since im paying for the wireless router, the net etc etc).. is there a charge for wifi on the handset?.. im reading now, and im a little confused.

haydnwalker
07-04-2009, 22:52
If you connect to your own home or a friends wi-fi then theres no charge. If you use a hotspot (ie The Cloud hotspots) then yes there would probably be a charge for it.

Smilie
07-04-2009, 23:27
friend has a C905 on O2
I tried getting it to browse the internet with WIFI
but had some problems

was able to connect to the router but the internet broswer wasnt working
think u need to input DNS servers address in it manually (according to some1 on O2 forums)
but never looked into deeply as the phone isnt mine
friend doesnt know too much about technical things so he never tried to get it to work

u might want to read about it in their forums to see if it work or how to make it work before getting it

cookie_365
08-04-2009, 19:25
Whether it's free or not will depend on the o2 contract & what boltons you have. Of course some wifi hotspots are free anyway. The wifi bolton gives you access to Cloud hotspots and I think Cloud has reciprocal arrangements with other providers so I guess (not sure though) you'd have access to those. Any others you'd have to pay for just like any other payg wifi.

I have the C902 which doesn't have wifi but my contract gives me unlimited 3G which is fine.

Slyder
08-04-2009, 19:43
Yea I got confused to start with, because I read it as you have to pay for wifi. Its been said if I connect to my own router its free, which is what I worried about. Im sure I can get it working. (crosses fingers)

incidently, I have the 902 sat downstairs brand new.. im sending it back though for the 905

cookie_365
09-04-2009, 00:54
c905 is way bigger and heavier than the c902. And it's a traditional slider instead of the cool spyphone c902. Try one out in the shop before you buy it.

The W960 has wifi too but I've not tried it.

Though I guess you'll want a slider or even a slyder phone :)

Slyder
09-04-2009, 21:07
c905 is way bigger and heavier than the c902. And it's a traditional slider instead of the cool spyphone c902. Try one out in the shop before you buy it.

The W960 has wifi too but I've not tried it.

Though I guess you'll want a slider or even a slyder phone :)

lol ;)

Yeah I had a go in the shop.. im aware getting the wifi can be a little tricky to setup but im not bad with problems like that.

Smilie
14-04-2009, 15:20
got the phone yet??
just intrested to know if u got the wifi to work
and hot to get it tow work

want to help my friend to get his working

Slyder
20-04-2009, 22:06
You know something, I dont.

I ordered it on Wednesday 8th April, had an email to say it would be dispatched within 5 days along with an email saying if I was accepted for credit or not and so far I have not heard anything else. :confused:

chrisjones
23-04-2009, 17:53
I would get on the blower to them if I were you! 02 can be pants when it comes to getting phones to customers. Oh and be sure they don't fob you off with a 'reconditioned' hand set. They tried that on me 4 times in row with my N95 8gb before I realized they all had faults and they sent me a brand new one!

Slyder
23-04-2009, 19:57
Right.. apperently - having checked the website for outstanding orders, it said my order was cancelled. Initally I thought with the recent repossesion of my property I would of failed the credit check, but o2 confirmed it wasnt that, but they didnt know why it was cancelled.

I have put it down to 2 things. 1. I did order around easter, so they may of made a boo boo? or (and this is probably more plausable) 2. i maybe accidently hit the back button on the order page and it cancelled in someway? maybe to prevent me ordering twice? who knows.

cut a long story short, i orderd it again and am now expecting delievery tomorrow as per my email from o2

to Smilie - I did not opt for unlimited wi-fi, but as its free, i will be trying to connect it to my router tomorrow, so i will let you know.

chrisjones - If they dare send me a refurbished handset, i will cancel my contract indefinitely as I think its fair to say every new customer deserves a new handset. They get 1 chance and 1 chance only. I was already messed around with Vodafone in 1999 with my 1st contract and had pay as you go for the last 10yrs as I dont trust contracts. I am willing to have my faith restored but any problems then I have no problem going to CAB, trading standards and to make a bigger point OfCom.

chrisjones
23-04-2009, 20:08
In the end their cock ups cost them three phones. Firstly they sent me an N95 silver by mistake, I had ordered an N95-8gb. They expected me to pay to have it sent back via courier which I refused, they never came to collect it! Next they fobbed me of, or at least tried to 4 times in a row with reconditioned handsets. Each time I was told it was a new handset only to find faults with each handset. On the 6th time of calling the CS person promised to send a new hand set and told me I could keep the 'reconditioned' phone as they were effectively giving me an upgrade! How that works I'll never understand, but the result is a new N95 and two N95-8GB's. Silly 02!

Slyder
23-04-2009, 20:18
Out of curiosity, what faults did you find with them. Would a software upgrade not help fix them. I'm just thinking, if you can fix it with an update - you could unload them at somewhere like Mazuma or Envirophone.

LSainsbury
23-04-2009, 21:33
got the phone yet??
just intrested to know if u got the wifi to work
and hot to get it tow work

want to help my friend to get his working

What's the problem with your wi-fi?

The other half has an XDA Ignito - wi-fi works fine...

zing_deleted
23-04-2009, 21:39
my Omnia browses using WIFI and unprotected hotspots (like Starbucks lol) no worries

Smilie
23-04-2009, 22:00
its just the C905 wifi

i tested my friends C905 wifi
was able to connect to the wireless router (had the wireless icon was showing)
but when trying to browse the internet with the phones internet browser
it asks me to choose a network to connect to
from a list of mobile phone network providers
tried choosing some other then O2 (didnt want it to connect via O2 Gprs or whatever)
and it didnt work

Slyder
24-04-2009, 07:00
its just the C905 wifi

tried choosing some other then O2 (didnt want it to connect via O2 Gprs or whatever)
and it didnt work

See that happens on my friends N95 thats why I was initally sceptical buying a wifi phone.

Slyder
27-04-2009, 11:05
its just the C905 wifi

and it didnt work

Really dont know what to say. I got my C905 on friday and Wi-Fi browsing with my router worked straight away. :confused:

Smilie
27-04-2009, 23:53
hmmm
maybe they have a newer firmware

there was something about it in O2 forums
but this was around 2 months ago

Slyder
03-05-2009, 15:02
hmmm
maybe they have a newer firmware

there was something about it in O2 forums
but this was around 2 months ago

Back of my box it does say it has the latest software installed. It now includes smile shutter, or something like that :confused: