PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 50Mb Advice needed

antony73993
07-04-2009, 13:39
HI all,

I have now had my 50mb broadband installed after upgrading from 20mb. I am having some problems and i need some advice.

My wireless G speed for my 20mb service was arround 16-19mb
My wireless G speed for my 50mb service is 20-21mb
My wireless N speed for my 50mb service is 3-7mb
when i connect directly to the modem i get 29-33mb

why is the wireless N so slow i am using the netgear equip supplied by VM. Also is a connection speed of 29-33mb acceptable when he installed it yesterday he said it was 47mb at the modem?
:confused:

AbyssUnderground
07-04-2009, 13:50
29-33 is acceptable. Anything over 20Mbps for the 50Mbps tier is considered acceptable. It could be any number of things slowing it down, for example your firewall or antivirus software. Which do you use?

Also, the encryption type on wireless can have a huge impact on speed as well. Which did you choose to use?

broadbandking
07-04-2009, 13:53
Have you download the new wireless drivers yet?

antony73993
07-04-2009, 14:00
i have tried the latest drivers, with no joy.

I have disabled the firewall and i am using WPA as that it what the installation software said would be best. Do you think either the usb dongal or the router may be faulty.

pabscars
07-04-2009, 14:11
29-33 is acceptable. Anything over 20Mbps for the 50Mbps tier is considered acceptable. It could be any number of things slowing it down, for example your firewall or antivirus software. Which do you use?

Also, the encryption type on wireless can have a huge impact on speed as well. Which did you choose to use?

I find it hard to believe that you have posted that comment, surely you would not be happy with it, its only just over half of what he should be getting, or can you explain why it is perfectly acceptable to recieve such a slow speed on cable.

I could understand it if it was adsl, and distance from the exchange was an issue.

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

sorry,,,, having a blonde moment, its wireless and I can appreciate your going to get some loss..

soz

AbyssUnderground
07-04-2009, 14:16
I find it hard to believe that you have posted that comment, surely you would not be happy with it, its only just over half of what he should be getting, or can you explain why it is perfectly acceptable to recieve such a slow speed on cable.

I could understand it if it was adsl, and distance from the exchange was an issue.

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

sorry,,,, having a blonde moment, its wireless and I can appreciate your going to get some loss..

soz

Thats apparently what the virgin techs have been told. If its above 20Mbps, its acceptable for the 50Mbps tier. Just passing the information on...

On wireless N you should still reach 50Mbps, its capable of 300Mbps after all... I think its down to location, drivers and encryption. You just have to find the best of them all.

pabscars
07-04-2009, 14:40
Thats apparently what the virgin techs have been told. If its above 20Mbps, its acceptable for the 50Mbps tier. Just passing the information on...

On wireless N you should still reach 50Mbps, its capable of 300Mbps after all... I think its down to location, drivers and encryption. You just have to find the best of them all.

Appreciate what your saying, although it would suck if you upgraded from 20Mbps to 50 and only benefitted from such a small increase.

I too are on 50Mbps, and do get very slow speeds wirelessly, but I put this down to my drivers and reletively old kit.

Can anyone see their way to show us mere mortals how to update our drivers, or to find out if our drivers are even 50Mbps compatible, as I wouldnt know what to check for, and I would imagine I,m not on my own.

AbyssUnderground
07-04-2009, 14:50
Like I say, passing the message along. I too would be disappointed tho.

lowei
07-04-2009, 15:57
After having trouble with my 50meg wireless and speaking to CS They blame the router.So Ive now got £20.00 taken off this months bill:)