PDA

View Full Version : V Stuff is Live

weesteev
06-04-2009, 15:12
V Stuff mow appears to be fully operational today, im surprised no-one else has spotted this yet.

I have the unlimited tariff with 50Mb and so far have uploaded some 24Gb today, very quick transfer rates, all done in the background and auto sync's with any changes you make.

If anyone is using it then please share your experiences.

Ignitionnet
06-04-2009, 15:55
V Stuff mow appears to be fully operational today, im surprised no-one else has spotted this yet.

I have the unlimited tariff with 50Mb and so far have uploaded some 24Gb today, very quick transfer rates, all done in the background and auto sync's with any changes you make.

If anyone is using it then please share your experiences.

This will be because most people don't care, and most people aren't on the 'unlimited tariff' and will get STM'd if they upload too much.

It's not possible to upload 24GB in a day on the XXL upload as it's such a joke so there has to be some compression in the background helping you out there or it's misreporting somehow.

Have to say I regard this as a waste of time and money, if VM want to impress me then rather than keeping useless project managers in jobs on crap like this they can work on the core aspects of the product, reliability and performance, performance especially being very sadly lacking in a number of areas.

Oh wait that's not 'cool' enough and doesn't allow willy waving emails like those we received advertising this rubbish. My mistake.

EDIT: Love the money grab sneaked into it:

For just £5 a month you can upgrade to V Stuff Unlimited*

Giving you unlimited backup and storage allowance and 100 free** photo prints per month!

Peter_
06-04-2009, 15:57
The is a double page advert in The Times according to a couple of customers that have called in.

Ignitionnet
06-04-2009, 15:59
The is a double page advert in The Times according to a couple of customers that have called in.

If they put half as much effort into the core product as they do into PR... *sigh*

EDIT: The backup solution is a while label service from these guys: http://www.steek.com/

zing_deleted
06-04-2009, 16:08
just had a quick look and does this really only backup from default locations or am I missing a browse to file to upload link?

Stephen
06-04-2009, 16:09
This will be because most people don't care, and most people aren't on the 'unlimited tariff' and will get STM'd if they upload too much.

It's not possible to upload 24GB in a day on the XXL upload as it's such a joke so there has to be some compression in the background helping you out there or it's misreporting somehow.

Have to say I regard this as a waste of time and money, if VM want to impress me then rather than keeping useless project managers in jobs on crap like this they can work on the core aspects of the product, reliability and performance, performance especially being very sadly lacking in a number of areas.

Oh wait that's not 'cool' enough and doesn't allow willy waving emails like those we received advertising this rubbish. My mistake.

EDIT: Love the money grab sneaked into it:Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

However there are lots of people out there that will use the service and find it a great help. I for one will be using the photo printing offer a lot as I did on the old service.

zing_deleted
06-04-2009, 16:10
Its all done by snapfish now if you sign upto them you get loads of offers anyway. Does this give free prints every month? or is it a one off

50 free per month is good enough though

I use snapfish and they are very very good indeed compared to quick print supermarket jobbies

Stephen
06-04-2009, 16:16
You get 50 free prints on XL for the first 12 months. First 3 orders are free postage too.

Ignitionnet
06-04-2009, 16:17
Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

However there are lots of people out there that will use the service and find it a great help. I for one will be using the photo printing offer a lot as I did on the old service.

Well at least staff seem enthusiastic about it. I personally would rather effort were expended on fixing the primary product than doing these 'value adds' that's all. I also find it concerning that this thing does automatic sync and await with some amusement people complaining that their HSI is running poorly and/or they've been STM'd due to this.

Pushkar
06-04-2009, 16:18
just had a quick look and does this really only backup from default locations or am I missing a browse to file to upload link?

Click on The Backup all Files/Folders (Orange one) and you can select a folder to upload.

zing_deleted
06-04-2009, 16:22
arrr yes should have looked closer :)

Stephen
06-04-2009, 16:53
Well at least staff seem enthusiastic about it. I personally would rather effort were expended on fixing the primary product than doing these 'value adds' that's all. I also find it concerning that this thing does automatic sync and await with some amusement people complaining that their HSI is running poorly and/or they've been STM'd due to this.
I AM speaking as a customer and not a member of staff!!

There is nothing broken with the primary product.

opinions are like buttholes, everyones got one!

Ignitionnet
06-04-2009, 17:24
I AM speaking as a customer and not a member of staff!!

opinions are like buttholes, everyones got one!

Of course not, it's perfectly fine that an VM release an online backup service with storage of 10GB on XL and automatic sync. That's great apart from that you can't upload to it during certain periods of the day as it will cause your connection to be throttled to 1/4th performance and the upstream rate is so low it will take an XL customer over 30 hours to fill their storage allowance.

There's my opinion, with a couple of examples. VM releasing this with a 2 page national newspaper ad on a broadband product with STM and poor upstreams is laughable, not that it's that great a launch it's just a French online backup service rebranded.

Toto
06-04-2009, 17:25
Wow, a place to store her indoors photo's, hopes there's enough space :)

chickendippers
06-04-2009, 18:15
OOh they've overhauled the help homepage too, that's a vast improvement. I hope they don't stop there and continue to improve the entire section, compared with Plusnet's it's dire and even Sky have better documentation.

I don't think I'll find a use for V Stuff, but I'm sure there are people who'll use it.

Caspar
06-04-2009, 18:38
Do you have a VM link for this?

zing_deleted
06-04-2009, 18:41
just google V stuff lol

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=v+stuff&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Caspar
06-04-2009, 18:58
just google V stuff lol

Thanks Zingle :)

I appreciate the Google reference ;) ...but just thought someone would post a link to the service since you're all talking about it, and some of us aren't as informed of VM services as others :) ...hence my next question!

ok, I've got the VM V stuff website at:
http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/vstuff/find-out-more/

and read the FAQ at:
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/vstuff/cable/backup-getstarted.php

The first question is what is my virgin media username!?!? I've been with NTL for about 10 years and never once used their online services, email/website, etc.

So how do I find out what my username is?

/shudders to think he'll have to phone India to find this out!??!

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

I'm giving the below a go:
https://selfcare.virginmedia.com/passwordreset/logonaccount.do

BenMcr
06-04-2009, 19:03
just google V stuff lol

Or just go to http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia

Caspar
06-04-2009, 19:05
Fair do's that was a very easy thing to do. Having never used NTL or VM services after 10 years (prob bad marketing on their behalf! lol), when I did want to finally login (prob very good marketing on their behalf! lol -best reason why Value Added Benefits exist, from a business PoV!)...I managed to retrieve my account details and login <3minutes after want to do so!

Well done VM! :)

weesteev
06-04-2009, 19:13
Fair do's that was a very easy thing to do. Having never used NTL or VM services after 10 years (prob bad marketing on their behalf! lol), when I did want to finally login (prob very good marketing on their behalf! lol -best reason why Value Added Benefits exist, from a business PoV!)...I managed to retrieve my account details and login <3minutes after want to do so!

Well done VM! :)

Thats one area Virgin wanted to improve on, with the new online system there will be less of aneed to phone for support if its a problem with your value added service/email and in future... billing!

Its all good changes, lets stop talking about STM as it doesnt really matter here, especially with the auto backup function. Why does there always have to be negatives to everything Virgin do? Im pretty impressed with this compared to what other providers give you in the same area. 100 free photo prints per month with 50mb as well, nice touch!

caph
06-04-2009, 19:24

They have ridiculously oversubscribed UBRs in a lot of areas and refuse to do anything about it. So yes, there is a lot wrong with the primary product. Simply stating that there isn't doesn't make it true and only serves to annoy those of us that are on the receiving end.

zing_deleted
06-04-2009, 19:31

you being a loyal VM loving member of staff most likely have that link in your faves me however being a customer who does not use VM services do not think they merit a link in my favs ;)

Caspar
06-04-2009, 19:50
would anyone like to have a stab why when on a 10MB connection the my virgin media page syays that I've only 25 free prints remaining? and nope never used the other 25!

zing_deleted
06-04-2009, 20:01
are you on a package?

broadbandking
06-04-2009, 20:08
They have ridiculously oversubscribed UBRs in a lot of areas and refuse to do anything about it. So yes, there is a lot wrong with the primary product. Simply stating that there isn't doesn't make it true and only serves to annoy those of us that are on the receiving end.

Tell me have you proof of ALL these oversubbed UBR's, you have to remember all these members that complain about oversubbed areas are only a small number of VM customers, I don't think you comment is very valid unless you bring facts to the tables.

Caspar
06-04-2009, 20:09
are you on a package?

I've got L broadband, M sized TV (free for the bedroom) and Talk evenign and weekends phone.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

oh, and how do you change the time it backs up? I changed it to 2200 during install, so now it's not backing up!... I thought it was realtime!

sparky621
06-04-2009, 20:33
[QUOTE=Caspar;34770020]I've got L broadband, M sized TV (free for the bedroom) and Talk evenign and weekends phone.

Look again: Broadband L only gives 25 prints, its XL that gets 50!

zing_deleted
06-04-2009, 20:37
I've got L broadband, M sized TV (free for the bedroom) and Talk evenign and weekends phone.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

oh, and how do you change the time it backs up? I changed it to 2200 during install, so now it's not backing up!... I thought it was realtime!

2200 is about an hour and half away lol

DrStrange
06-04-2009, 20:53
Hmm..Trying to set up V Stuff on my 2Mb connection and it says there is a problem with the details entered. I registered with Snapfish a few years ago using my @ntlworld.com e-mail and now V Stuff wants me to provide a new e-mail address and won't accept my @ntlworld.com email address. I don't really want to go to the bother of setting up another e-mail address just for 5GB of storage, lol. This is a bug?

weesteev
06-04-2009, 21:35
Your not actually setting up a snapfish account, your registering to access your V Stuff with your Virgin Media (ntl world in your case) login details. Once you have logged into V Stuff, you can migrate your saved photos online to your new snapfish account which is linked to your V Stuff account, thats how you get your free prints...

PHEW... hope that made sense :erm:

Ignitionnet
06-04-2009, 21:35
Tell me have you proof of ALL these oversubbed UBR's, you have to remember all these members that complain about oversubbed areas are only a small number of VM customers, I don't think you comment is very valid unless you bring facts to the tables.

While the vast majority are fine there are a number of oversubbed areas still and it's rather hard to prove them all, VM themselves don't have proof of 'ALL' of the oversubscribed uBRs or choose to ignore them - my own for example isn't considered oversubscribed and has no relief date yet my 20M service never performs to maximum at peak times:

Date 06/04/09 21:31:01
Speed Down 12670.98 Kbps ( 12.4 Mbps )

Is actually good - it's usually between 8 and 12.

While there was exaggeration the complaint stands - VM advertise super fast broadband and blow sunshine up our backsides about 'the power of fibre optics' while having areas that have been oversubscribed for several months.

weesteev
06-04-2009, 21:36
While the vast majority are fine there are a number of oversubbed areas still and it's rather hard to prove them all, VM themselves don't have proof of 'ALL' of the oversubscribed uBRs or choose to ignore them - my own for example isn't considered oversubscribed and has no relief date yet my 20M service never performs to maximum at peak times:

Date 06/04/09 21:31:01
Speed Down 12670.98 Kbps ( 12.4 Mbps )

Is actually good - it's usually between 8 and 12.

While there was exaggeration the complaint stands - VM advertise super fast broadband and blow sunshine up our backsides about 'the power of fibre optics' while having areas that have been oversubscribed for several months.

Please keep this discussion out of this thread, this is for discussing V Stuff. If you have an issue with your speeds then please start a new thread or check other open threads for more info.

Cheers

Ignitionnet
06-04-2009, 21:39
Please keep this discussion out of this thread, this is for discussing V Stuff. If you have an issue with your speeds then please start a new thread or check other open threads for more info.

Cheers

If you have issues with any posts the report button is below and to the left otherwise don't tell me what and where I can and can't post. I was answering a post in this thread from a VM staffer.

Cheers.

KenK
06-04-2009, 21:52

Been there, done that. Online backup and storage (I'm going to trust the security and privacy of my files to an ISP's sub-contractor??) and yet another photo-printing service. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

The Installer
06-04-2009, 22:06
lets stop talking about STM as it doesnt really matter here, especially with the auto backup function.

No lets talk about it because it DOES matter.

Just because YOU are on 50meg and aren't subject to STM yet doesn't mean that the majority of VM users are also, infact being as you are a staff member you should know that most of VM's broadband customers are on 2meg, now how many of them are going to be STM'd by using this?

zing_deleted
06-04-2009, 22:11
I do not think anyone has to worry to much about STM . As a little test ive been uploading some photographs 600 meg in total. Started before 5pm and its still only uploaded 500 meg so I am guessing they cannot handle full upload speed even from a 20 meg user let alone a 50

chickendippers
06-04-2009, 22:13
There are lots of online backup services, all affected by STM. How is this any different, or why does it deserve further discussion?

zing_deleted
06-04-2009, 22:15
What I am saying is its not capable of uploading at enough speed to hit you with STM. I am not saying it is not subject to it or anything like it. I have accounts with various online backup jobbies a lot better than this

slowcoach
06-04-2009, 23:06
Another exciting day at VM HQ :idea:

weesteev
06-04-2009, 23:15
Broadbandings, im not just talking to you im talking to everyone. The topic of this thread is V Stuff... not STM, lets keep this on track please everyone. Lets try and not get every thread hijacked by STM as it usually is.

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 23:10 ----------

No lets talk about it because it DOES matter.

Just because YOU are on 50meg and aren't subject to STM yet doesn't mean that the majority of VM users are also, infact being as you are a staff member you should know that most of VM's broadband customers are on 2meg, now how many of them are going to be STM'd by using this?

STM doesnt matter to me as my download habbits are outwith STM time limits anyway. Having switched from a 20mb service with STM I still dont see STM at any stage. Why does STM have to come into everything. Surely if you arent happy with it you have choices for other ISP's? If you download THAT much then its worthwhile chnaging yor download habbits, switching to ADSL (depending on where you live) may give you an inferior service (or vice versa). If you also download that much that you are being STM'd that often to even care about talking about, then im glad your excessive usage is being managed so its not affecting my usage when I need the internet. You cant argue that you are being STM'd to the effect where it damages your usage on a daily basis (up to 2 times a day) and then tell me in the same breath its legal usage??

The question then drags back to why are you with Virgin then if your needs are not being me tby your ISP?

zing_deleted
07-04-2009, 00:55
its an upload service which could if capable of working fast enough use up the users upload limit so triggering the STM so some raising of that is valid

You say about why with VM well in my experience they are the best of a bad lot thats the only reason. If there was a competitor that could offer me 10 meg 24 hours a day I would be off like a shot. VM sucky long time unfortunately for me so do the ADSL services

blackthorn
07-04-2009, 06:48
When I started using it last night I must have pressed the backup button by mistake. I dont really need backup as I have it all on disc. i just want to use it as storage. But my problem is, once the back up process has started I cannot see anywhere to cancel it. I can see pause backup but no cancel. Its still going this morning I`m up to 800mb . How do I stop it :(

Sirius
07-04-2009, 07:23
What I am saying is its not capable of uploading at enough speed to hit you with STM. I am not saying it is not subject to it or anything like it. I have accounts with various online backup jobbies a lot better than this

Then its simple use them instead, No one is forcing you to use this.

Please show me the others like this that are free and i can see for myself.

How typical that Virgin try to give us something extra and at no additional cost and all everyone can do is pull it apart. I honestly don't know why they bother.

zing_deleted
07-04-2009, 08:56

How typical that Virgin try to give us something extra and at no additional cost and all everyone can do is pull it apart. I honestly don't know why they bother.

Ooeeeerrrr how unlike you to defend VM. What they should bother doing is getting their network right so then they will be top dog instead ;)

I simply said I run an experiment to test the service and posted my results which were the upload to the service is to slow to cause you to hit STM. I also said snapfish do very good photographs ;)

Live mesh is M$HQ's version which has the same I think online storage but also allows remote access to your PC over the web

Adrive gives a basic service with 50 gig storage free

You can turn yoru googlemail into an online storage drive (rememeber I did this for the clan ages ago?)mines at 7.5 gig and rising

The there is Humyo.com another one with 10 gig :)

Caspar
07-04-2009, 10:18
What I do like about VStuff is that it'll backup any data location, as a free service :tu:

I have a NAS attached to my home server, which I then map to my WinXP machine via a share from server :erm: Most online backup service just won't do network drive backups, unless you buy their full service. I like mozy.com, they offer a free 2GB service, but it won't backup network drives, so it's useless. I'd have to sign up just to test it. :(

Vstuff - I'm really having issues with, I select the backup folders, but nothing backups up. I then read the instructions properly so turn on the file types :erm: My selected pictures backup fine, but then stop half way through, and I can't find a way to restart it.

Also Vstuff has decided to backup my internet explorer cookies!?!!? They're not even selected, so god knows how it decided to backup 'em up!

ok, getting serious... I think some will like this service and the backup tool, but from my perspective with a lifetime of IT expereince and running corporate IT backup and DR procedures I think it's highly un-intuitive and I simply can't fathom how to use it! on the edge of giving up! :erm: Symantec Backup Exec is bloody easier to use!

Sirius
07-04-2009, 10:21
Oo Eeeerrrr how unlike you to defend VM. What they should bother doing is getting their network right so then they will be top dog instead ;)

I simply said I run an experiment to test the service and posted my results which were the upload to the service is to slow to cause you to hit STM. I also said snapfish do very good photographs ;)

Live mesh is M$HQ version which has the same I think online storage but also allows remote access to your PC over the web

Adrive gives a basic service with 50 gig storage free

You can turn your googlemail into an online storage drive (remember I did this for the clan ages ago?)mines at 7.5 gig and rising

The there ishumi.com another one with 10 gig :)

None of it as good as Vstuff and would still depend on your upload, which for me is fine being on 50 meg. ;)

Plus i would not trust anything from Micro$oft it will plainly be beta quality just like there main OS.

Plus you know me better than to say i always defend VM because that's wrong i don't :rolleyes:

zing_deleted
07-04-2009, 10:34
no dude I meant it was a surprise that you were because I knwo you dont ;) missunderstanding there :)

Adrive gives you 5 times the storage ok you have to manually do it but I would not want a service running without my say so anyway.

Live Mesh is far more versatile I do not understand why you think V Stuff is better it just isnt ;) in fact it auto backs up folders and files you set up the same as VM and it allows remote access easy

Caspar
07-04-2009, 10:43
no dude I meant it was a surprise that you were because I knwo you dont ;) missunderstanding there :)

Adrive gives you 5 times the storage ok you have to manually do it but I would not want a service running without my say so anyway.

Live Mesh is far more versatile I do not understand why you think V Stuff is better it just isnt ;) in fact it auto backs up folders and files you set up the same as VM and it allows remote access easy

Mesh was a lot easier to setup, within minutes and is alot more intuitive....the only issue is that you can't backup network drives or NAS drives. :(

blackthorn
07-04-2009, 10:44
Vstuff - I'm really having issues with, I select the backup folders, but nothing backups up. I then read the instructions properly so turn on the file types :erm: My selected pictures backup fine, but then stop half way through, and I can't find a way to restart it.

Also Vstuff has decided to backup my internet explorer cookies!?!!? They're not even selected, so god knows how it decided to backup 'em up!

ok, getting serious... I think some will like this service and the backup tool, but from my perspective with a lifetime of IT expereince and running corporate IT backup and DR procedures I think it's highly un-intuitive and I simply can't fathom how to use it! on the edge of giving up! :erm: Symantec Backup Exec is bloody easier to use!

Give up ! I wish I could give up I cant find anyway to stop it once its started on the backup

Caspar
07-04-2009, 11:11
Give up ! I wish I could give up I cant find anyway to stop it once its started on the backup

Uninstall it ;) That'll work! :)

tbh, I think I already have given up on using it as a backup solution, it's unholy crap!

I'm only interested now to get the free 25prints pm. Have a desognated directory to online print and then move pictures into that each month to print online.

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

Uninstall it ;) That'll work! :)

tbh, I think I already have given up on using it as a backup solution, it's unholy crap!

I'm only interested now to get the free 25prints pm. Have a desognated directory to online print and then move pictures into that each month to print online.

ok what a con!

I've uploaded a few pics that I want to print using my 25 FREE prints per month allowance.

Once you've chosen the pictures you're presented witt the below:

You have selected 9 photos to be sent to our print partner Snapfish.

Here's what to do next:

Have your credit card details at the ready to register. Don't worry Snapfish won't charge you anything without your consent.
Your postage and packaging is free for your first 3 print orders.
After that, you'll only pay for the delivery of your free prints. Plus, anything else you decide to order, like gifts with your prints on them.
Let us know which address you'd like them delivered to.
Once you've confirmed your order Snapfish will print and deliver them straight to your door.

So I have to supply credit card details for a free service!?! :erm: and then you're told only P&P "3 print orders" are free?!?!? I thought it was 25 per month.

It's a con, "free 25 per month", so you take the time to register and the whole effort to then find out you have to pay something! By this time, you want to do it so are now reluctant to not proceed! Tricky twitters! :(

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

Order Photo Prints - It's absolutely free! no it's not! :(

MikeyB
07-04-2009, 12:46
and then you're told only P&P "3 print orders" are free?!?!? I thought it was 25 per month.

It's a con, "free 25 per month", so you take the time to register and the whole effort to then find out you have to pay something! By this time, you want to do it so are now reluctant to not proceed! Tricky twitters! :(

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

no it's not! :(

You DO get 25 free prints every month, and it does say about the P&P on every page on the V Stuff website:
http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/vstuff/find-out-more/

**Free prints available for 12 months following activation of V Stuff. Postage and packaging for the first three free print orders is free of charge. Free prints must be used within the month, and can't be carried over. See full terms and conditions here (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/vstuff/terms/)

AndyCambs
07-04-2009, 12:51

Some people on this forum wouldn't be happy with free HD, and free 50MB connections...

Ignitionnet
07-04-2009, 13:16
I do not think anyone has to worry to much about STM . As a little test ive been uploading some photographs 600 meg in total. Started before 5pm and its still only uploaded 500 meg so I am guessing they cannot handle full upload speed even from a 20 meg user let alone a 50

That's odd, a 50Mbit user shifted 24GB by 3PM apparently, assuming that upload was started at bang on midnight this would have been an equivalent transfer rate of about 4Mbit. Pretty good considering you'd imagine 24GB of files to be largely already compressed music and video which render the built in compression of the client at best pretty much ineffective.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

None of it as good as Vstuff and would still depend on your upload, which for me is fine being on 50 meg. ;)

Plus i would not trust anything from Micro$oft it will plainly be beta quality just like there main OS.

Plus you know me better than to say i always defend VM because that's wrong i don't :rolleyes:

http://www.adrive.com/ seems pretty good.

If you consider 1.75Mbit to be a 'fine' upload that's your prerogative.

So you trust http://www.steek.com/ over MS - also your prerogative. :)

What VM can do is offer a small reduction on the bill in return for foregoing access to this stuff so that customers aren't paying for things they aren't using.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Some people on this forum wouldn't be happy with free HD, and free 50MB connections...

What's worse - the complainer or the person complaining about the complainers? You're happy, some people aren't. That's life.

Ignitionnet
07-04-2009, 13:35
I have tried this software - the performance is not great at all - upload bounced between 128kbps and 540kbps according to an upload meter. Please note the scale of the graph.

zing_deleted
07-04-2009, 13:58

as I said I run a test to see for myself if it was any results and I posted the resutls of that test thats all

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

I have tried this software - the performance is not great at all - upload bounced between 128kbps and 540kbps according to an upload meter. Please note the scale of the graph.

pretty much matches my tests

Caspar
07-04-2009, 14:32
I ranted on earlier in this thread about how free isn't free, that you only get 3 orders of prints for free then you have to start paying P&P, which is 99p based only only 25 prints per job. This isn't too bad, photo printing is not something I do, mainly out of laziness!....but this process isn't too bad and can enrich your life somewhat! :erm: the other products that snapfish.com offer look ok too and may buy at somepoint (ahha got you mr consumer, have some cross-selling! :D...yeah w/e loser!)

Anyway, I mentioned above that you need to supply your credit card details, even though I'm not going to be charged anything at least for the first3 orders. Well the VM pages are wrong, I've not been asked for card details :erm: I think this bogus disclaimer should be removed as it does really put you off!

I've now ordered my batch of free 25 prints, saving an apparant £2.25. I await to see the quality. :)

VStuff is still crap! ;)

zing_deleted
07-04-2009, 16:35
snapfish is very good ive had poster prints mugs all sorts off them. They were given the best of award for this type of process by the Which magazine . Jessops use them and others do also they I believe are a HP subsidary

KenK
07-04-2009, 21:31
What VM can do is offer a small reduction on the bill in return for foregoing access to this stuff so that customers aren't paying for things they aren't using.
Now, there's a thought!

Peter_
07-04-2009, 21:55

That would never happen as it is a free service so no costs involved in the same way that the email service is free and provided as part of the service but with no requirement that you actually use them.:D

Ignitionnet
07-04-2009, 22:46
That would never happen as it is a free service so no costs involved in the same way that the email service is free and provided as part of the service but with no requirement that you actually use them.:D

Nothing is 'free' especially not from VM. It's paid for somewhere in the subscription charges ;)

I nearly went into one regarding broadband revenue subsidising the unprofitable TV and likely not much better telco but I'll save that for another thread.

Peter_
07-04-2009, 23:03
Nothing is 'free' especially not from VM. It's paid for somewhere in the subscription charges ;)

I nearly went into one regarding broadband revenue subsidising the unprofitable TV and likely not much better telco but I'll save that for another thread.
Its just the way it is classed as a product.:D

Ignitionnet
07-04-2009, 23:17
Its just the way it is classed as a product.:D

I'll sell you my 'free' 10GB for 50p/month, kk? :p:

caph
08-04-2009, 17:47

The facts are available for all to see, I'm surprised that you're not aware of the Virgin Media Support group. If you use a news reader application such as Windows Mail in Vista you can access it by subscribing to "virginmedia.support.broadband.cable". I'd recommend reading through some of it just to put yourself a bit more in the picture. You will find plenty of comments along the lines of (and I quote from a new post the day before yesterday complaining of months of poor speed):-

> I'm sorry to hear you are still experiencing problems with your service.
> This fault is currently with our capacity planning team but no relief date
> has been set for maintenance work yet.

Apologies if this is off topic but I think that it's important to quash any lies along the lines of "there is nothing wrong with the primary product" before people start believing it.

Peter_
08-04-2009, 19:37
I'll sell you my 'free' 10GB for 50p/month, kk? :p:
Nice offer but incompatible with Linux and FF3 so unable to use it, gutted:D

slowcoach
08-04-2009, 19:49
Hey Moldova, you can still avail yourself of the Storage, provided that you can find your way in and then have enough time to wait for it to appear. :D
My clients would have my guts for garters if I tried to palm them off with such an abysmal web application.

Peter_
08-04-2009, 19:53
Hey Moldova, you can still avail yourself of the Storage, provided that you can find your way in and then have enough time to wait for it to appear. :D
My clients would have my guts for garters if I tried to palm them off with such an abysmal web application.
Its the Storage program you have to download that's incompatible everything else works and as I said FF3 is unsupported but FF2 actually is supported.

slowcoach
08-04-2009, 21:02
I know, but you can still use the storage directly.

Peter_
08-04-2009, 22:17
I know, but you can still use the storage directly.
Its the Back up facility that I cannot use as its for windows O/S only.

zing_deleted
08-04-2009, 22:28
you can back up using your browser

Peter_
08-04-2009, 22:33
you can back up using your browser
Linux will not let the back up software load so back up not usable not that I am to bothered about it.

zing_deleted
08-04-2009, 22:38
no but if you can use v stuff storage instead and manually backup

Peter_
08-04-2009, 22:43
no but if you can use v stuff storage instead and manually backup
Had a couple of goes and it keeps downloading the back up software which Linux will not run so gave up, may try tomorrow as only really interested in case someone asks about it on a call, not really bothered for personal use might give the free prints a go though.

zing_deleted
08-04-2009, 22:46
there are 2 different things. V Stuff backup and V stuff storage that allows backing up using what I assume is a java applet. It appears to run on FF3 here. That may well require the software I do not know ill try it on a different machine in a bit

xpod
08-04-2009, 22:49
Linux will not let the back up software load so back up not usable not that I am to bothered about it.

Linux with FF 3;)

Peter_
08-04-2009, 22:49
there are 2 different things. V Stuff backup and V stuff storage that allows backing up using what I assume is a java applet. It appears to run on FF3 here. That may well require the software I do not know ill try it on a different machine in a bit
The storage works its just the back up that wants me to use software.

Also FF3 is unsupported by Virgin for V Stuff but FF2 is supported which is odd considering Firefox upgrades to the latest version by default.

zing_deleted
08-04-2009, 22:52
Linux with FF 3;)

yeah thats the jobbie

Peter_
08-04-2009, 22:55
yeah thats the jobbie
That one works its just the back up program that does not work as it is a windows only application.

xpod
08-04-2009, 23:07
That one works its just the back up program that does not work as it is a windows only application.

Seems to load/work in wine ok but i aint figured out how to change the default locations....There doesn`t seem to be an option just to browse to the files you want.

EDIT:Cancel that last part.

Peter_
08-04-2009, 23:09
Seems to load/work in wine ok but i aint figured out how to change the default locations....There doesn`t seem to be an option just to browse to the files you want.
I expect the Back up will work fine in Wine but was surprised I could use the Storage facility on Linux.

slowcoach
09-04-2009, 03:00
Seeing as I have been locked out of my web space for three weeks or so and no-one at TS, that I have spoken to, appears to know who to ask to fix the password problem I doubt I would use the backup feature. I just hope that the same problem arises with my billing data and locks VM out of my account. :p:

AndyCambs
09-04-2009, 22:27
For some reason I am getting "network error" and when I try to restart VStuff, I get the message "you are not connected to the internet" which presumably must be wrong as I am posting this...

NH001
09-04-2009, 22:47
I get the same "network error". I was some way through a back up. I am also unable to view backups on the VStuff web site.

Maybe we have filled up their storage already ;)

skattie
14-04-2009, 12:49
I've been playing with this for a couple of days now.
I just wonder if they can make it any slower.
I only have time to make a cup of tea, do the shopping and watch a couple of episodes of friends while I wait for a backed-up directory listing to arrive :dozey:

Oh yes, and the thumbnails view of the JPG's doesn't work either

Not very impressed this far...

(I love this screen - "If you are looking at this for 45 seconds, press Refresh or whatever...", I fool it by looking out of the window every few seconds :) )

sherer
14-04-2009, 13:13
heard about this over the weekend and it sounds like a good service. I view it as a bit like Microsoft. It is something VM are giving me for free that will do the job I want, but there are better pay products out there.

Free prints even with P & P is good as I pay that whoever I use anyway.

Will download this when I get home and give it a go.

Well done to VM instead of just giving us the internet at least they are putting a few services on top of that

AndyCambs
14-04-2009, 13:21
I think the good thing is that back up is automated (we only ever remember that we need to back up photos and files after the event!) and that it's stored off site - so in case of any fire, theft or flood, your backed up files are still around.

slowcoach
22-04-2009, 13:58
Just checked to see if I can FTP into my VM web space yet..............woohoo VM have fixed it at last. :)
I had given up on it, thought they were trying to trick me out of my measly 50MB of server space, see, never judge a book by it's cover... :rolleyes:
Now I've just got to throw the VM issued Netgear WNR2000 router into the bin and then I will be in the position of having no problems with VM, wonderful.

AndyCambs
22-04-2009, 14:10
I like the concept - but..

The VStuff.exe looks to grab quite a bit of resources
Several times I get network error and it's presumably unable to connect to the server
Although I am on XL Broadband, the VStuff application only has my available space as 5GB, not 10GB as it should
You can schedule the first upload, but you can't schedule the future uploads - so it's done at night or some other selected time.

tweetiepooh
22-04-2009, 14:19
Uploaded 3 pictures last night using FF3 in OpenSUSE 11.0, slow and then took ages for the site to process them. Now need to see if it can handle RAW images (doubt it) then I don't need JPEGs. May go for the unlimited as with 3 cameras in the house we are already way over 10GB for photos. How many weeks will that take to upload?

Ignitionnet
22-04-2009, 14:34
Uploaded 3 pictures last night using FF3 in OpenSUSE 11.0, slow and then took ages for the site to process them. Now need to see if it can handle RAW images (doubt it) then I don't need JPEGs. May go for the unlimited as with 3 cameras in the house we are already way over 10GB for photos. How many weeks will that take to upload?

Not that much more than a day - XL will do 7.776 GB/day, assuming 90kB/s upload 24x7. You will trip STM during this period however.

If you say 36 hours to do 10GB that should work.

Any issues, well given the office you probably work in networks are nearby ;)

blackthorn
22-04-2009, 15:50
Can anyone help me on this one. How on earth do I delete the backup that is in my vstuff account. I dont want the backup anymore I just want to use vstuff for storing files that I upload.

bywater
27-04-2009, 23:52
This service is absolutely ***** ! I didn't use the virgin extra's much but at least that worked only to be replaced with this piece of useless junk service. Tried up loading files they sit there for ages just saying pending. When files finally do decide to upload when I try and click to view my photos it just says processing this says it will take from a few seconds to a few minutes. Hours later still says the same. So I can not see the image of the free photos I want to use. I can't believe that this service made the news. Another case of all hype and no substance. I don't know how much all the publicity and the service cost virgin media to run but I'd rather them reduce my service cost rather than wasting money on a service that doesn't work. :td:

JamboUK
29-04-2009, 20:07
Can anyone help me on this one. How on earth do I delete the backup that is in my vstuff account. I dont want the backup anymore I just want to use vstuff for storing files that I upload.

Same problem here...as yet...no solution.

belana
02-05-2009, 10:20
Well it might be live but I think mine is dead really! I keep getting network error and can't connect to the thing! Anyone have any suggestions apart from devine intervention and the resurrection and all that....

hearty
03-05-2009, 11:00

I think I've managed to delete a file. It wasn't obvious how to do it though. The user interface is terrible.

1. On the VStuff backup app, click on the "file selection" tab.
2. Use the "My selection" buttons and untick any files you want to delete.
3. Click on the "Advanced settings" tab.
4. Switch off versioning and archiving (I don't know if you really need to do this, it's just what I did).
5. Click on the "clean backup" button.

zippa
28-05-2009, 16:09
I tried this and it didn't work, I suspect it only stops any updated file from being updated in the future. It's a real pain as it has hoovered up a whole load of files I don't want backed up. Has anyone else had any luck in deleting.

KenK
28-05-2009, 22:06
This service is absolutely ***** ! :td:
It might be ok if it would ever respond. It's too slow.

I uploaded 50-odd photos earlier this week. It still can't display them all, and I don't know what will happen if I try to order some prints. I don't trust it. I'm going back to paying for prints.

Edit: I take the first comment back. It won't even log me in now. Bywater was right.

ChazzaMag
29-05-2009, 18:17
Hi folks after reading peoples views on this I thought I would post my own experiences with this application.

Great I thought after receiving the email from virgin media, free on-line drive space with 5GB of storage space, having been checking the price of various services I thought that it could be useful, my idea perhaps for storing an Acronis True Image file off-site just encase of hard drive failure or keeping large pictures and email archives.

For starters I decided to give it a test run by backing up a folder containing pictures and some email archive backups. The folder size of 320Mb I thought that's not too bad to test, I figured being on L sized broadband that uploading shouldn't take too long a little under 2hrs if it went along at full speed. First thing to note was the amount of time this program estimated that it would take around 12Hrs, curious I thought perhaps a mistake. I did a BB speed Test just to be sure everything was fine with the connection and all was good. I decided to give it ago, I manually configured it so it would only backup the files I asked it too. Unfortunately the program locked up and froze half way through the operation at around 4hrs into it, but strangely it had only uploaded 80mb of the 320mb in that 4hr period.

On first looks this program seems horrendously slow it does not seem to maximise the bandwidth available to it and unfortunately it does not allow for real-time estimated time of completion or tell you the uploading speed it is progressing at. I used Mirc and the System Info Scrip out of curiosity just to give a general idea of how fast it was working and charted the Bandwidth it used and with nothing else running. Uploading on average over 10minutes was at 0.74Mb per minute, this connection is capable of 4mb per minute uploading. Massively below par.

Be careful when you have uploaded a directory as when that directory is unselected in the File Section >> BACKUP ALL Files and Folders Tab. When Unselected the Folder is Deleted from your Backup Set, There is No warning it just disappears within 30 Seconds.

My initial Idea of backing up a 3gb Image File looks a bit optimistic, at the speeds I'm getting at least. It would take over 70hrs. Like quite a few here I'm pretty disappointed with this application and for the time being looks like my external hard drive will be invaluable.

Ignitionnet
29-05-2009, 19:47
Shush all of you, this is an unbelievably good service, the VM staffer weesteev says so. After all he managed to upload 24GB in a few hours on it, so clearly it's your PC that is slowing you down to 3GB in 70 hours, nothing to do with VM having an upload on their cable services that is more like a laughable and poor joke and the service itself being below par.

It is worth mentioning to be fair that this is a 'free' service, in other words it's going to be crap as it's a service that was arranged with a French company that outsources backups in order to compete with BT and Sky. Doesn't matter whether it works or not from the PR point of view so long as VM can advertise it.

KenK
29-05-2009, 21:31
... nothing to do with VM having an upload on their cable services that is more like a laughable and poor joke and the service itself being below par.I thought the upload speed was slow, but acceptable for my needs. But having uploaded pictures, I wanted to be able to access them. :(
It is worth mentioning to be fair that this is a 'free' service, in other words it's going to be crap.It's not 'free', it's a part of the broadband service for which we pay handsomely. And 'free' does not have to mean poor.
Doesn't matter whether it works or not from the PR point of view so long as VM can advertise it.And they call me cynical!:D

Ignitionnet
29-05-2009, 23:02
I thought the upload speed was slow, but acceptable for my needs. But having uploaded pictures, I wanted to be able to access them. :(

Given the free and faster services available online plus the VM staffer blowing sunshine up our arses about this service you expect a certain standard.

It's not 'free', it's a part of the broadband service for which we pay handsomely. And 'free' does not have to mean poor.

You're preaching to the converted there, tell VM that!

And they call me cynical!:D

They call me realistic having worked in and been a part of this industry for most of my working life and still regularly being astounded by the utter crap that Virgin Media come out with their PR offensives. Still an investment shy cableco flattered by a poor and uncompetitive environment doing the bare minimum to be able to flex the epeen in that environment having ditched a large part of their network construction costs with a couple of debt for equity swaps.

ebulfin
30-05-2009, 11:36
I am having terrible trouble just getting connected to this software, but I have to disagree with the point about performance. I have a 10Mb connection and some of the day I get exactly that (well 9.6 ish), the service does fluctuate depending on the route taken between your PC and the page or server you are connecting to. I tested mine with a server in London (I live in Wiltshire) and got a paltry 2.8 Mb speed, seconds later I connected to a server in Croatia and the speed was just over 9 Mb. All these speed tests rely on too many variables to be exact.

As for VM products I have had five hours downtime on my broadband since 1994 and only one day with no telephone and the TV has never been down. I call that a great service. Customer Services is a little strange with no availability to people with disabilities who cannot use a phone, but that is only a minor criticism.

EDIT: Love the money grab sneaked into it:

Ignitionnet
30-05-2009, 12:02
I am having terrible trouble just getting connected to this software, but I have to disagree with the point about performance. I have a 10Mb connection and some of the day I get exactly that (well 9.6 ish), the service does fluctuate depending on the route taken between your PC and the page or server you are connecting to. I tested mine with a server in London (I live in Wiltshire) and got a paltry 2.8 Mb speed, seconds later I connected to a server in Croatia and the speed was just over 9 Mb. All these speed tests rely on too many variables to be exact.

As for VM products I have had five hours downtime on my broadband since 1994 and only one day with no telephone and the TV has never been down. I call that a great service. Customer Services is a little strange with no availability to people with disabilities who cannot use a phone, but that is only a minor criticism.

Ahh I did mention a number of areas. On a network as large as Virgin's there will inevitably be issues, some of what are not being addressed in as timely a fashion as one might wish for, and gimicky services tend to annoy people when their product isn't up to scratch.

Are you sure about the reliability of your broadband by the way, given that the product wasn't available widely until 2000?

I have had approximately a week of service down time a year while with Virgin or its' ancestors across 4 different franchise areas and all 3 cable platforms (Langley, Bromley, Knowsley). I have no doubt that your service is very reliable, but do be aware some aren't so fortunate.

Thank you for the advice on testing speeds, I tend to use internal testing on the VM network when I am having local issues to avoid the influence of routing as much as possible, I only use external speedtests either to test the routing, test the tester, or for PC optimisation purposes (throughput on higher latency links).

fsomsen
07-07-2009, 13:12
Click on The Backup all Files/Folders (Orange one) and you can select a folder to upload.

Yeah, that's very nice in theory, but even by choosing only the folders, the software uploads other files that were not selected.
It's all rubish. I've been trying for the past few days uploading several photos to take advantage of their offer, but haven't succeeded. And it is all so slow...

ebulfin
17-07-2009, 16:52
I just pinged the server the page is on, and got this:
Ping virgin.steek.com

Pinging virgin.steek.com [78.40.122.104] with 32 byte
Reply from 78.40.122.104: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=53
Reply from 78.40.122.104: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=53
Reply from 78.40.122.104: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=53
Reply from 78.40.122.104: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 78.40.122.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% los
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 43ms

As for speeds I regularly get download speeds of 6.9 Mb and occasionally get nearly the ten I am paying for, but yes I am sure of my speeds and an hour to go from one page to another gives some indication that there is a problem with servers and software not communicating properly. Skeet services (as a member) work extremely quickly with page loads measured in milliseconds.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Oops talking at cross-purposes there I thought this was under the heading about V-Stuff, not Broadband use in general.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

If you are dissappointed, upset and fed up with the poor responses from normal routes, take your complaints to someoone higher up in VM. I prefer to take it to the top and let it filter down to the help desk and not rely on the help desk (mostly sub-contracted) getting customer complaints over to the people who can fix the problem.

Use E-mails to inundate the customer Services mailer, you won't get any satisfaction from the automated responses, but at least the numbers of complaints might ring some alarm bells.

Most people just uninstall or stop using it, without all of these paople complaining how can anyone expect the VM heirarchy to know there is a problem.

vistar
02-09-2009, 16:46

Erm it states its not compatible, but infact it actually works in linux using "Wine" :) i installed the latest wine emulator, and it works no faults ;) infact i found it actually works a little faster lo...

hope this helps some people.

Sirius
02-09-2009, 16:52
Erm it states its not compatible, but infact it actually works in linux using "Wine" :) i installed the latest wine emulator, and it works no faults ;) in fact i found it actually works a little faster lo...

hope this helps some people.

I have totally given up with it.

It never backs up properly. :mad:

I was sent one lot of photos and now i cannot have any more because it does not update :mad:

I tried to manually backup but that failed as well. :mad:

V stuff promised so much and failed to supply any of what they offered. :mad:

Taf
02-09-2009, 19:37
I can't even activate mine...I sign in, it says it was all OK, then up pops a page stating "due to a problem with your account... blah, blah, blah"

CS has reset my password 3 times, checked my account... but it still won't let me in...

vistar
02-09-2009, 20:30
Hmmm, thats strange maybe the luck of the draw lol... i can configure it manually auto and delete current backups etc, its working fast enough for me also... ill reply with feedback once ive ordered prints a few times see how it goes then lol. :dozey:

caph
07-10-2009, 11:33
Does anyone know if VM are currently working to fix VStuff?

I've just done a clean reinstall of Vista and I thought I'd try it again using the lastest version of the VStuff installer. Same problem though, it backs up so many hundreds of Meg then stops. It still shows that the real time backup is active and that it is uploading but it isn't and the activity log shows several pages of only blank lines.

It's a really great idea and I love the brick level back up of Outlook, I just wish they would release a working copy.

EDIT - I just remembered the trick about deselecting and reselecting your file selection. That's restarted it backing up again. I don't want to have to keep doing that every couple of days though. What's the point in an automatic backup if you have to keep manually checking it to keep the thing working!

Ignitionnet
07-10-2009, 12:03
Given that V Stuff doesn't make money directly and was just useful for a 2 page ad in a national newspaper and bragging rights on their webpages I doubt it's a high priority.

One would hope they would try and ensure it works somewhat though rather than just being a pure PR stunt that had to be done because Sky and BT had similar services.

Matt_S
07-10-2009, 12:32
I was actually about to post on here about how I get my free 100 photo prints. So am I right in thinking it has to be done through this V stuff?!

xocemp
07-10-2009, 19:51
I was actually about to post on here about how I get my free 100 photo prints. So am I right in thinking it has to be done through this V stuff?!

No Matt.
Download/register for Vstuffed and then follow the instructions in this thread.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33656335-vstuff-selection.html