PDA

View Full Version : Connection Dropping

markcampbell
06-04-2009, 14:14
Okay supposedly im on 20MB connection in belfast (yeah right)
Got a home network set up for the last hmm 3/4 years currently using wireless Netgear WGR614 V7 sometimes upto 4 machines at once running.
Did have a different router before hand but it just died one day so got that one and never had problems with it (had it almost a year if not more now) until about 3 weeks ago.

Thats just to give a lil history to try and help anyone that wants to try and help me.

Anyways on to the issues im having about 3 weeks ago suddenly my browsing was very slow (slower than dialup) most times not even showing a page. Pages would constantly time out. Nothing had been changed network or machine/s wise. Just out of the blue started doing this. So naturally i gave it a day or two thinking it was just VM but it kept it up for a week after numerous calls to them they persisted in blaming my Wireless router. One 'technician' (and i use that term loosely said VM dont even give them training with wireless setups in the call centre in India or wherever it is). Either a bad excuse or the awful horrible truth of it. Anyways FINALLy got speaking to a welsh guy in england/wales wherever that centre is and he thought maybe it was the cable modem but their help systems were down so he wasnt sure. So he said hes sending us a new modem as he doesnt think the one we have is upto scratch for the 20mb service. Fair enough i guess their loss of a new modem. Anyways thats not arrived yet only due to arrive this week if they bother to send it.

Ive personally got a feeling its not the modem for a few reasons. 1: why suddenly now after having this particular modem for almost a year and half maybe 2 is it suddenly not compatible with a service ive supposedly had for a long time. 2: Although its possible for the modem to suddenly get a fault (its electrical it can happen) why not get other problems? What i mean is if im happening to be downloading / uploading and browsing is a pain or not working they keep going fine. For example i was downloading a file from microsoft roughly 300 mb and it kept going fine but i couldnt go to any site. Later on no browsing at all but i was using an FTP client to upload to a site i currently am working on for a friend it worked fine.

Doing the start windows run cmd and typing for example ping google.com -t i notice the requests time out sometimes every two attempts and others its fine for say 50 attempts then suddenly every one attempt is messing up.

So had the problem start 3 weeks ago the 2nd week it worked perfect again then suddenly in the last week its starting doing the same thing . Again adding to my idea its NOT the modems fault or Router for that matter.

Anyone else in the belfast area or any other user at all had these browsing issues on and off last three weeks? If so if you solved it was it or is it a fault at VMs side

Sorry for being long wided just wanted to be as informative as possible

EDIT: sorry for the misleading title as the connection does NOT drop completly just browsing (on all machines btw tried different browsers)

bertles86
06-04-2009, 14:28
Yup see my thread below mate, same sort of thing happening in Liverpool. I believe it's linked to VM's 50mb rollout affecting other customers lines in.

markcampbell
06-04-2009, 14:32
Hi bertles86,
Thank you for the swift response and thank you for the post good to know im not alone. Looks like ill be calling them again. I work from home and its really interrupting my money making right now. Sounds a bit selfish but bills gotta be paid

chickendippers
06-04-2009, 14:45
I work from home and its really interrupting my money making right now. Sounds a bit selfish but bills gotta be paid
If you wanted an SLA you should cough up for a business connection. The "I'm loosing money" argument doesn't hold any water with a residential connection.

bertles86
06-04-2009, 14:52
Fair one, once I'm home from work and can find my account number, I'm emailing support asking for a credit, as we have had little or no internet from last Thursday!

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

If you wanted an SLA you should cough up for a business connection. The "I'm loosing money" argument doesn't hold any water with a residential connection.

Surely if VM don't supply the service you pay for, some sort of credit should be due? Even for residential users..

markcampbell
06-04-2009, 14:53

Its a new venture im doing and only doing it because i hurt my back a few months back. If it takes off then ill obviously look at business packages instead of residential. Plus im moving soon and if i dont get VM sorted soon i wont be getting their internet again. Ive never had this amount of internet problems with any ISP before and didnt have it with NTL before VM took over.

Ive gotten credit back from them before for problems and i expect it this time too. Why pay upto £35 (roughly) for a package im not getting? They should be held responsible for it and if it has been a fault on their end for the last 3 weeks or longer they should be held responsible

markcampbell
06-04-2009, 20:00
Just got done on the phone with VM AGAIN. This time they got me to do a speedtest (why im not overly sure since it seems to me anyways to be dropping packets). The maximum speed i got from my connection was just touching 11MB and i mean just. So they are sending me out a new modem for sure because after checking the modem serial model and so on they came to the conclusion that its not compatible with 20mb (even though they updated it previously for this). Still not sure thats the issue but ill post back whenever i get the modem to let you know if its sorted. Strangely its been working the last few hours anyways no problems browsing.

They are also crediting me £35 for the last month :)
Supervisor is due to call me back later tonight ( wont hold my breath on that) to discuss my previous calls to them and why its taken this long to find if that is possibly my problem. A real helpful girl actually asked permission of me if she could get a supervisor to call me as she was a bit shocked ive never had the right hardware (modem) for the service their providing. Have to say she was actually the most helpful.

Now for a question to you guys and girls. Any of you know if the 20MB connection has a 'cap rate.' The guy i first spoke to thought that i may be going over 3GB and having my speed reduced for 5 hours. Now that to me would be and sorry but you will have to excuse me here ********. 3GB download rate on a 20MB connection? That has to be a mistake by him. Its not even listed on their site they have a cap rate for the 20mb connection

I dont see it listed under their fair usage policy here (unless i over looked it of course http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/acceptableuse.html

On a side note check this out http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2009/apr/06/internet-houseofcommons goodbye our civil rights

chickendippers
06-04-2009, 20:34
Here's the STM page. It's in the "Need to Know" section: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

markcampbell
06-04-2009, 20:46
okay so if im understanding that correctly
6GB downloaded between 10am to 3pm they will throttle me 75% for 5 hours

4pm to 9pm if i download 3GB they will throttle me 75% for 5 hours

And finally
3pm - 8pm if i upload 1.4GB they throttle me 75% for 5 hours?

really then if i go over at ANYTIME during the day OR evening they will throttle me? Thats just cruel. Horrible setup actually if you ask me. Why not just have it at a certain time for example between 4pm-Midnight which is the impression i was always under.

EDIT: how do i know if its in effect in my area? According to that page you kindly posted it states that its only in testing. If iask virgin of course they are going to say it is in effect even if it wasnt

chickendippers
06-04-2009, 20:58
STM is in effect everywhere with the exception certain parts of Preston, Wigan and Blackpool which are using different STM policies.

markcampbell
09-04-2009, 03:30
Well my connection is horrible tonight. Not even getting 1MB from a speed test on different servers. Thinking i was maybe being capped ive ran the tool THEY even recommend on one of their pages and i wasnt anywhere near the 'limits' in their page but yet my net seems as if its capped. Shame the internet has come to this. So far the longest ping to even google has been 1063ms ttl - 230 with request time outs also. Think im gonna have to start looking for a new ISP, never had this amount of hassle before VM took over.

Still havent even got the modem that should of been here today or yesterday

markcampbell
11-04-2009, 15:09
so still no modem and still no further on with VM

just out of curiosity i was wondering if someone can tell me what this means exactly.....ive read in a few places the odd one isnt or shouldnt be a problem

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received

Reason im asking is because the time on the modem log for that message is around the exact time (give or take a few minutes) that my browsing suddenly stopped working almost. Works on and off VERY BADLY. for example pings to bbc.co.uk will take from 35ms right upto 107ms along with timing out.

Also does all this look correct or good?
Downstream info
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 34.8 dB

Upstream info
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Upburst

Modulation Type QPSK QPSK QPSK QPSK QPSK
Differential Encoding Off Off Off Off Off
Preamble Length 64 128 128 100 80
Preamble Value Offset 396 6 6 396 396
FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 3 9
FEC Codeword Information Bytes (k) 16 34 34 78 232
Scrambler Seed 338 338 338 338 338
Maximum Burst Size 0 0 0 35 254
Guard Time Size 8 48 48 25 134
Last Codeword Length Fixed Fixed Fixed Short Short
Scrambler on/off On On On On On

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

sorry meant to add the upstream burst didnt copy and paste correctly, but im sure the figures will be enough to look at, anything else needed just say.

drobek
11-04-2009, 19:06
At mornig i have this http://www.speedtest.net/result/447480271.png but after about 3pm its droping to http://www.speedtest.net/result/450090374.png thats lol not provider .

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

and ofc why ours bills are not droping hmmmm

markcampbell
11-04-2009, 23:20
erm, dont know what thats got to do with my posts, but looks as if your being capped possibly for too much downloading?
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html take a look there seems plausable. Thats if your on the 10MB connection that is.

You may want to make a new thread for your issues see what others think instead of hijacking threads

Kymmy
13-04-2009, 15:49
Oh no my speedtest was down as well....normally it's 10Mb/0.7Mb and 10 millisecond ping...

I must be capped as well!!!!!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/59.png

Ignitionnet
13-04-2009, 16:37
Wow moderator trolling, nice :D

Peter_
13-04-2009, 16:38
Oh no my speedtest was down as well....normally it's 10Mb/0.7Mb and 10 millisecond ping...

I must be capped as well!!!!!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/59.png
That is slow from Auckland:D

markcampbell
19-04-2009, 00:14
Okay so got my new modem got it all hooked up gave them a call to get it 'activated' all seemed fine for all of about 3 hours then suddenly same things start to happen.

Cant browse to even google at times
High ping rates even to google / bbc etc etc

So im gonna retry a step i already tried and thats plugging the modem DIRECTLY into the machine closest to it and try it again next time it screws up. Last time it still had the problems but once more before i tell virgin where to stuff it is worth a shot.

As another test i had a whole day / two of NO DOWNLOADING (as in files even over 100mb and it still messed up). Only one day this past week and it didnt and that wednesday oddly enough. It did at one stage for all of 30 seconds and that was it. So i highly doubt its my router as some have tried to say on other forums.

But a question? does anyone happen to know the speed test site / server Virgin will give customers while on the phone to measure their tests? I forgot the addy for it and im pretty dang sure it wasnt speedtest.net

moaningmags
19-04-2009, 00:20
I always take customers to

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/?C=S;O=D

Download 1 file, take note of transfer rate.
Start 2nd download, take note of each transfer rate and add them together.

If the speed of the 1st one halves to accommodate the 2nd one then it's VM's issue.
If they both get roughly the same speed then it's a pc issue and usually something like tcp optimiser can help.

markcampbell
19-04-2009, 00:26
I highly doubt its a pc problem. On 3 PC's and two laptops? Odds of that would be quite unlikely. They have all also been tested one by one. (IE. as in just one on at a time) But ill give that a go later cant even get to that page it just times out.

Just doing a simple ping www.google.com -t im getting results from 114ms right upto 156ms to obviously time outs

EDIT: one machine my main gaming machine i just formatted to clear it out of crap literally a week ago. Tonight i went to go have a game of UT and cant even get servers to ping.

moaningmags
19-04-2009, 00:38
Sounds like an SNR issue on your ubr. Anyone on 1st line can check this for you.

articinvader
19-04-2009, 11:14
Hi all I am on the 10 meg line and I too have been having problems for just over a week, I have reset the modem many times I sometimes get downloads of 1.20 mb then it starts dropping slowly to nothing, I am in the Manchester area looks like its a phone call to vm to complain

markcampbell
19-04-2009, 15:51
Sounds like an SNR issue on your ubr. Anyone on 1st line can check this for you.

excuse my ignorance here but 1: do you work have worked for VM? lol and 2: whats an SNR issue on my ubr? What does that mean exactly and what would it cause?

My max speeds using speedtest.net has only been hitting on average 7.4mb since these problems starting happening. Before all this i could hit sometimes 11mb and sometimes even 17+mb

moaningmags
19-04-2009, 16:07
Yes I work for VM.
SNR means signal to noise ratio, you have this on your modem and on the ubr (Universal Broadband Router) Your modem reading shows it as Downstream SNR : 34.8 dB which is fine.
If you're having pages time out, taking forever to get to pages loaded and you've tried multiple computers connected directly to the modem all having the same issue, then it's possible the SNR on the UBR is too low causing the problems you're seeing.
Again, anyone on 1st line can check this for you.

Earl of Bronze
20-04-2009, 16:21
If the speed of the 1st one halves to accommodate the 2nd one then it's VM's issue.
If they both get roughly the same speed then it's a pc issue and usually something like tcp optimiser can help.

Moaningmags, would you be able to expand on you first comment above please ?

moaningmags
20-04-2009, 16:32
Moaningmags, would you be able to expand on you first comment above please ?

If you're on 10Mb for example, your download rate should be approx 1.2MB/s.

You start a file download and get approx 600KB/s on one file.

You start a 2nd file and on each file get a transfer rate of approx 300KB/s and you have a direct connection to the modem, that usually means it's a problem at VM's end, usually high utilisation or something similar.

You start the 2nd file and on each file get a transfer rate of approx 600KB/s then you are getting your full download speed.
In order to get that speed on one downloading file you may need something like TCP Optimiser which does what it says, optimises your connection usually enabling you to get full speed on one file.

That help?
Mags

Bixenons
21-04-2009, 12:14
Okay supposedly im on 20MB connection in belfast (yeah right)
Got a home network set up for the last hmm 3/4 years currently using wireless Netgear WGR614 V7 sometimes upto 4 machines at once running.
Did have a different router before hand but it just died one day so got that one and never had problems with it (had it almost a year if not more now) until about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for flagging this issue up. I'm in Watford and experiencing the same problems for a couple of months or so now. Have 2 pcs' wired networked via netgear router wgr614 v7.

I'm on 10mb service and problem seems to have worsened since they finalised rollout of the 10mb upgrade. Managed to get an engineer out who replaced my old silver modem with an ambit 256.

Have connected pc's directly to modem and still getting dropping out which can occur at random odd times. Happened again saturday evening whilst on the phone to vm!

Have an engineer coming out on friday as I want to get to the bottom of this.Considering sky/bt but have concerns about them also.

Don't fully understand all the techie jargon ( age issue!) but am going to re-read this thread before friday. Would appreciate any advice or guidance that I can put to the engineer.

Thanks John

Earl of Bronze
21-04-2009, 17:00
If you're on 10Mb for example, your download rate should be approx 1.2MB/s.

You start a file download and get approx 600KB/s on one file.

You start a 2nd file and on each file get a transfer rate of approx 300KB/s and you have a direct connection to the modem, that usually means it's a problem at VM's end, usually high utilisation or something similar.

You start the 2nd file and on each file get a transfer rate of approx 600KB/s then you are getting your full download speed.
In order to get that speed on one downloading file you may need something like TCP Optimiser which does what it says, optimises your connection usually enabling you to get full speed on one file.

That help?
Mags

Mags, many thanks for your clarification. :)

In my own case, I'm getting the DL speed cut in half when I do the DL test, but seeing as I have serious connection issues with my internet at this time.... I think I'll be binning VM this week. Can't say I've had an help on the numberous occasions I've contatcted them, so it's past time I stopped paying them for what was for (the last 2 years) a mediocre service. And what has reciently turned into virtually no service at all....

markcampbell
22-04-2009, 17:04
So far ive had a bit more help on this forum than i have had from VM. Dont get me wrong, not trying to be a harsh sounding guy over it especially since there is some VM employees here on the forum but i do find getting put through to "technical support" in india or where ever it is a joke. They themselves told me (2 different guys btw) that VM have NOT trained them in wireless setups. Thats ridiculous if true in my eyes.

But anyways hey mags if you see this does this mean anything to you

Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.0 dB

especially the last two lines im noticing it goes up and down depending on how my nets running and its quite a bit different from my first post of that 'log'. Sorry to bother ya mate if you do see this just havent had time to ring VM (again). Thank god its free to phone ill say that much

Peter_
22-04-2009, 18:38
So far ive had a bit more help on this forum than i have had from VM. Dont get me wrong, not trying to be a harsh sounding guy over it especially since there is some VM employees here on the forum but i do find getting put through to "technical support" in india or where ever it is a joke. They themselves told me (2 different guys btw) that VM have NOT trained them in wireless setups. Thats ridiculous if true in my eyes.
Well we do get wireless transfer calls so not surprising, but the set up in most cases is straightforward.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.0 dB

especially the last two lines im noticing it goes up and down depending on how my nets running and its quite a bit different from my first post of that 'log'. Sorry to bother ya mate if you do see this just havent had time to ring VM (again). Thank god its free to phone ill say that much
Those power levels are fine for an EX-NTL connection.

markcampbell
27-04-2009, 20:10
Okay so its been awful last few days but since im unwell at the moment (bad cold) im not up to telling VM for the 900th time what the problem is and isnt.

They keep going back to my speeds bla bla bla whenever i tell them several times it is NOT the speed im trying to sort out right now its JUST BROWSING.

But anyways, my dad (who the connection belongs too) called them this evening about it as he hadnt been able to browse all day (took for example 10 page refreshes just to get onto google which in turn took at times upto over 7 minutes). Most would say well surely theres something wrong with the speed but nope i dont think so. Reason i think this is because i can be downloading (if im lucky enough to get to a page to download) something and it can be running at a decent speed for the so called 20MB connection but browsing is non existent cant get to any pages without sitting pushing F5 every few time out requests.

So following some advice he called them and asked them to check the UBR thingy. The girl supposedly checked it and said its set to 29.....now im not sure what that means hopefully someone will be able to expand on that that has the knowledge of it. Whats even more annoying is that when he got through to someone it was working alot better again and basically not messing up. Could the UBR number or figure be giving something its not while its working? Or does that not make sense at all?

One thing i did notice though, the other day when it was troublesome i tried the old ping from command prompt expecting to see nothing but timeouts galore. I was however surprised to see an error along the lines of this "the host google.com can not be found ...." i cant remember the exact message wording but it definetly said the host couldnt be found. My downloads was running (actually afew updates for programs) so i know the internet itself was finding hosts. If it cant find any hosts surely my download would of stopped dead in its tracks? So my question is when im having issues browsing any ideas what that could be?

squirrel1970
28-04-2009, 01:03
Same here in SK5... speeds are fluctuating all over the place... not done any downloading and the modem gets switched off at night, yet, after it's 'warmed up', it can take up to 20 minutes or so before there's a decent enough connection to be able to surf the net...
before you ask, we have one wired pc and a laptop running wirelessly - both suffer.. it's been like that now for about a week... reading through this, it made me realise I'm not the only one with a similar issue.
We've done all we can without phoning VM and don't want to in case they say there's nothing wrong (which is highly likely...) so, I thought that by mentioning it here, maybe somehow some way we can get an answer that says 'this is the problem' rather than get fobbed off...
We even noticed it happening when we were away last weekend - took 2 laptops with us to share the bb connection where we were staying - again, a VM connection! (and 2mb too... whereas ours is 10)
So I'm thinking this just isn't a localised issue.. it's something a bit more than that... and yup, all modems and routers involved in all this are working fine...
There's no specific time when it happens, it just happens when it does... either the connection drops drastically or it just cuts out....
All systems have been checked for malware and other nasties - none found...

Stabhappy
28-04-2009, 02:41
Leave the modem on? It's designed to stay on 24/7...

pooper
28-04-2009, 06:26
Interesting thread - i've been getting the same problem for the past month or so...

I've recently had a tech out, who checked the modem levels (which were apparantly fine, but he installed a attenuator (?) on the modem, which made them 'even better' - but im still getting random drop outs, which can only be fixed by rebooting the modem it seems.

I'm pretty sure 'my' issue ties in with someone else down my road getting VM installed.. so i'm guessing someone's done something inside the cabinet.. seeing as nothing has changed from my end.

Is there anyway to see when 50Mb was activated in your area?

chickendippers
28-04-2009, 09:11
Type your postcode in: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2

markcampbell
28-04-2009, 14:11
Okay i noticed today that its really bad, but the thing i noticed today is if i power off my modem even just for 2 seconds (literally two seconds) and let it boot up again then try browsing its working again great. It can work then for well over an hour no issues sometimes only 20 minutes. But it does seem to let me browse with no hassles for atleast 20minutes + (most times it will work for atleast an hour without fail). Does that give an indication to anyone as to what the issue might / could be?

Bixenons
29-04-2009, 00:08
Okay i noticed today that its really bad, but the thing i noticed today is if i power off my modem even just for 2 seconds (literally two seconds) and let it boot up again then try browsing its working again great. It can work then for well over an hour no issues sometimes only 20 minutes. But it does seem to let me browse with no hassles for atleast 20minutes + (most times it will work for atleast an hour without fail). Does that give an indication to anyone as to what the issue might / could be?

Out of curiosity, when yours drops out are your sync & rdy lights on as mine stay on?

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

Interesting thread - i've been getting the same problem for the past month or so...

I've recently had a tech out, who checked the modem levels (which were apparantly fine, but he installed a attenuator (?) on the modem, which made them 'even better' - but im still getting random drop outs, which can only be fixed by rebooting the modem it seems.

I'm pretty sure 'my' issue ties in with someone else down my road getting VM installed.. so i'm guessing someone's done something inside the cabinet.. seeing as nothing has changed from my end.

Had a Tech out last friday who fitted a 2nd modem ( within a month ) who removed my attentuator as he reckon'd that could cause problems!

He also said 50mb rollout was creating problems with other users at purely random locations.

markcampbell
19-05-2009, 00:53
Just thought id update and say VM has still NOT resolved this with me. Some moron on their 'technical support' had it listed on my 'case' it was a router issue when clearly it is NOT so they more or less dont do much to help whenever it screws up now just their usual 'script walkthrough help'. Havent noticed the lights to be honest Bix but ill watch for it next time it messes up. You having any joy with your 2nd modem? I know im not. They havent even offered to send an engineer out and when asked to send one out they say "there is no reason to send an engineer out as it is a router fault." What part of the router isnt connected when i call you confuses them? Geeez

Anyways i want to ask a favor now from anyone on the forum but preferrably a VM staff member. I have a NEW laptop here hasnt been on the wireless hasnt been plugged into the router or modem yet. What is the PROPER steps to configure it for VM. I am an ex NTL customer before VM took over and so i have no disc or that. Reason im asking for setup instructions is simply so i can say to them if it messes up with this new machine "a VM employee told me how to set it up so are you saying their wrong?" THanks

What does strike me as odd though they have so far given me roughly over £150 BACK (well credited to my account supposedly). Now VM arent usually ones to go giving customers money back without a hell of a reason. Is that an indication that they know they have faults their side? hmmm

Another side note it was working fine for the last 2/3 days just a lil lag but browsing and everything else was fine. Its odd that only browsing screws up and not everything completly in my eyes. Obviously the connection on a download or upload is still established.

---------- Post added at 00:53 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

Just thought id update and say VM has still NOT resolved this with me. Some moron on their 'technical support' had it listed on my 'case' it was a router issue when clearly it is NOT so they more or less dont do much to help whenever it screws up now just their usual 'script walkthrough help'. Havent noticed the lights to be honest Bix but ill watch for it next time it messes up. You having any joy with your 2nd modem? I know im not. They havent even offered to send an engineer out and when asked to send one out they say "there is no reason to send an engineer out as it is a router fault." What part of the router isnt connected when i call you confuses them? Geeez

Anyways i want to ask a favor now from anyone on the forum but preferrably a VM staff member. I have a NEW laptop here hasnt been on the wireless hasnt been plugged into the router or modem yet. What is the PROPER steps to configure it for VM. I am an ex NTL customer before VM took over and so i have no disc or that. Reason im asking for setup instructions is simply so i can say to them if it messes up with this new machine "a VM employee told me how to set it up so are you saying their wrong?" THanks

What does strike me as odd though they have so far given me roughly over £150 BACK (well credited to my account supposedly). Now VM arent usually ones to go giving customers money back without a hell of a reason. Is that an indication that they know they have faults their side? hmmm

Another side note it was working fine for the last 2/3 days just a lil lag but browsing and everything else was fine. Its odd that only browsing screws up and not everything completly in my eyes. Obviously the connection on a download or upload is still established.

lsproc
19-05-2009, 07:12
Plug in laptop to modem
Reboot modem
Open browser and your off

You should not need to reregister the connection.

note: im not an employee! :) so dont quote me please as i may be wrong!

PS: good luck getting your problem sorted! :)

markcampbell
19-05-2009, 07:59
LOL
well i wasnt gonna say names :P just wanted it mostly for my own peace of mind incase im missing the obvious. Its been a few weeks since i tried it just the modem straight into one machine but when i did last try it it kept saying for the Ethernet connection "limited connectitivity" or something like that. Thought maybe i missed something even though it was getting an IP and what not. But its hard to tell at times whenever your having issues if it wont work directly through a PC if its because of a fault on your own end somewhere or because your having issues. So far its been good once it started working properly again this morning at about 12.30/1am. Heres hoping it stays that way

Bixenons
19-05-2009, 12:01
Having had a 2nd modem installed still had problems. C/Services B'Band refused to send an engineer out as my snyc & ready lights were on. Subsequently rang C/Services telephony and reported both phone and tv intermittent faults mentioning also b'band connection services.

They promptly sent an engineer out who was the same chap as before. He changed the set top box, checked the cable from cabinet to house; replaced the external splitter; re-crimped telephone wires; checked internal wiring; checked the modem and now .....

all is working ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikey_M
19-05-2009, 12:30
Mark, not sure if it will be the same for you but I finally got to the issue with my dropping connections:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33649986-dropping-connections.html

markcampbell
27-05-2009, 15:04
havent had many issues last few days infact cant remember a problem last few days at all. All in all it was back to its old self. Im saying was because im not holding it for it to stay this good for long. As ive said in previous posts it could be fine for a week then suddenly start.

What did happen though was surprising. A guy from the Customer Services department (okay so i couldnt remember exactly which department) called us about the issues we've been having as of late. He went through a few things told us what we had download one day and the next day it wasnt even a quarter of it. So if i remember right he said himself he believed there to be an issue but as for the problems because its not happening last few days - week he cant say if its been fixed or sorted itself out. He did however drop a bombshell I didnt expect from VM. He decided they were going to send out a new wireless router (Netgear WGR614 V9) same as the one i had been using but the other was a V7 (however i had tried a 9). That i did NOT expect, especially since i never got the router from VM in the first place. So im starting to now like VM again there has been a few ive spoke to thats tried their best to bend over backwards and help. Although i still think they should either train the Indian call centre staff better or pull out of that country all together. Sorry not trying to sound harsh but those guys were NO HELP whatso ever and one more or less called me a liar saying i had no problems.

So from VM because of the hassle last few months ive gotten a new router and over £150 credited BACK. Ill let it run for another week or so then post back how its going

Thank you to everyone for the help