PDA

View Full Version : trace routes showing problems every day

mofokk
06-04-2009, 14:29
right. i have been with virgin exactly one month. i see no point rining them till i know for sure where my problem lies.. im not interested in going thru the point checks their customer support will tell me to do because frankly i have done them all already :/

i have identified my problem. let me explain the issues i have had

i can browse perfectly for minutes. sometimes hours. but surfing is broken up by what felt like intermittent breaks in my service. the lights on the modem showed nothing wrong. yet page after page would time out waiting for a response. 5 minutes later . same page would load fine. this was tolerable at first but is becoming more frequent and much more annoying.

so after a clean up of my pc. reboot of modem and all that jazz. i did a trace route. i used my favourite site www.50klicks.com as is local to me and also www.bbc.com/www.bbc.co.uk

i notice the bbc website is not reachable through trace route ? i get 10 jumps in then every single jump after fails untill it hits 30 jumps and stops.

reaching the 50klicks site which i browse dailly. shows i again make it 10 jumps then fail on the 11th with a time out but it completes after 13 jumps.

i will post pics of my trace routes if i need to to get answers. i just wasn't sure if it was safe to do so.

IS anyone else experiencing this. im in the west yorkshire/leeds area
this on top of the fact im paying for 20mb BB and only receiving 6-9mb no matter what time of day i check is becoming damn frustrating froma comp-any i previously spoke very highly of

edit ( would be rude to post and not say hello . been my first post and all so Hi :) )

ok figured not providing the hops makes it tricky to answer my questions.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7196/traceroute.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=traceroute.jpg)

chickendippers
06-04-2009, 14:50
You waited until the moneyback guarantee has expired to start complaining?

Your trace to bbc.co.uk reaches them, but then looks like it does something odd at BBC's end...I'm not quite sure what's happening there.

mofokk
06-04-2009, 15:08
You waited until the moneyback guarantee has expired to start complaining?

Your trace to bbc.co.uk reaches them, but then looks like it does something odd at BBC's end...I'm not quite sure what's happening there.

why would i want my money back ?

im not looking for an alternate isp. im asking if anyone knows whats happening with the tracerts or can explain the problem i have.

once im clear on the cause i can contact virgin. tell them exactly what the problem is and save myself the grief of the call centre.

moaningmags
06-04-2009, 15:09
Or you can call in and find out there's a known issue they're aware of and save yourself the hassle of troubleshooting.

mofokk
06-04-2009, 15:14
Or you can call in and find out there's a known issue they're aware of and save yourself the hassle of troubleshooting.

if there is a problem in my area it's been ongoing for a month now . i shall call them and confirm my area is fine.

Ignitionnet
06-04-2009, 16:29
To reach the BBC try a traceroute to bbc.co.uk it's blocked at www.bbc.co.uk.

Apart from that the trace shows nothing wrong. Some devices don't respond to them by design.

graf_von_anonym
06-04-2009, 21:02
What's happening to the tracert to the bbc address is that it's blocked at www.bbc.com, but it keeps trying to go past it because the target site doesn't respond. Again, try just plain bbc.co.uk. www.* points to a different server (or at least a different IP address).

In your screenshots you'll notice that at some points your UBR takes longer to respond to a ping than the sites past it. That's usually an indicator that (at that moment in time) it had something else to do rather than return your ping.

What happens if you run a continuous ping using -t to a target site? Does it drop out, or does it keep going? Do the times spike before or after?

mofokk
07-04-2009, 19:01
What's happening to the tracert to the bbc address is that it's blocked at www.bbc.com, but it keeps trying to go past it because the target site doesn't respond. Again, try just plain bbc.co.uk. www.* points to a different server (or at least a different IP address).

In your screenshots you'll notice that at some points your UBR takes longer to respond to a ping than the sites past it. That's usually an indicator that (at that moment in time) it had something else to do rather than return your ping.

What happens if you run a continuous ping using -t to a target site? Does it drop out, or does it keep going? Do the times spike before or after?

Ok . the bbc was obviously a bad trace route to use as an example of my problem so i will stick to using the an adress wich the problem occours on the most.
www.50klicks.com

he's what happens. EVERY evening .

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9452/52003088.jpg

hop number 11 will refuse to work all night untill the early hours of the morning.

i can still view the site for the majority of the time but i get intermittent time outs and end up waiting for AGES for pages to load. this occours on other forums i visit too but its harder to duplicate in a tracert as the problem seems lesser ?.

as i said. hop number 11 will be broken for me All night. can anyone shed some light on this ? i kind of understand what im looking at but not enough to bug hunt or to know what to do next .....

thank you for the previous replies. im unsure what you refer to when you say to endlessly ping a site ? how would i go about that and is that the next step ?

thanks again .

edit. fixed image

Ignitionnet
07-04-2009, 19:23
Hop 11 is fine. If it were broken how could you reach hop 12?

You might want to raise this to the newsgroups though, going via Frankfurt to get back to London is silly and probably isn't helping.

Looks as though VM aren't getting that route in London, it might be beyond their control or they maybe able to sort it, no harm asking.

mofokk
07-04-2009, 23:00
hi m8. thanks for your answer. could you explain what you mean by raise this to the news groups ? sorry if this is a noob question but im not a news group user afaik. so im a little baffled who and how im supposed to be telling.

odd thing for me is also my neighbour did a tracert to the same site and does it minus 3 hops. using a route much more efficient than mine . weird as we even share the same box outside my propperty .

mofokk
08-04-2009, 21:39
any news on the newsgroups? also if hop 11 isnt broken. why does it not provide a response time and hang while it tries ? ( every time i do the tracert that is )

homealone
08-04-2009, 22:05
any news on the newsgroups? also if hop 11 isnt broken. why does it not provide a response time and hang while it tries ? ( every time i do the tracert that is )

help for setting up newsgroups

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/cable/newsgroups/setting-up.php

- a tracert only 'fails' when it doesn't get to the ultimate destination, some of the servers/hops along the way are designed to ignore the requests for information from the trace, hence you get no apparent response from that hop.

Ignitionnet
08-04-2009, 23:43

Because it's not required to respond to your traceroute, it's required to route your traffic to where you want it to go which it does as you are able to reach the hop behind just fine.

homealone
09-04-2009, 00:08
the newsgroup you might want to check out is virginmedia.support.broadband.cable