PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Down - Many Different Reasons

bernardharte
06-04-2009, 13:45
My (50Mb) Broadband failed last Friday at 6pm. When I phoned support, there was a message saying that the issue was affecting my area with an expected fix of 10pm. It did not come back.

I'll cut a very long story short, but every time I called - once in the morning an once in the evening - over the weekend, I was given a different reason for the outage (even including Remedy IDs that could not be found by the next CSR).

Eventually, the service was restored this morning around 11am whilst I was - coincidentally - talking with the customer retention people.

I have a few questions:

a. During one of the calls I was told that my local cabinet has had a "high txload" since "last year" Could this - which I understand to be a router problem - be why I don't get good speeds on my 50 gig service?

b. Although I was told that VM engineers were actively working on the issue over the weekend, the timing suggests otherwise. Would I be right in thinking that it's cheaper to pay compensation that it is to call-out on-call engineers?

c. Talking of compensation; how much would you expect VM to credit for an outage of getting-on for 70 hours?

Peter_
06-04-2009, 13:48
They normally credit you for every 24 hour period so if paying £35 per month then divide by 30 to arrive at a figure.

moaningmags
06-04-2009, 14:54
My (50Mb) Broadband failed last Friday at 6pm. When I phoned support, there was a message saying that the issue was affecting my area with an expected fix of 10pm. It did not come back.

I have a few questions:

a. During one of the calls I was told that my local cabinet has had a "high txload" since "last year" Could this - which I understand to be a router problem - be why I don't get good speeds on my 50 gig service?

b. Although I was told that VM engineers were actively working on the issue over the weekend, the timing suggests otherwise. Would I be right in thinking that it's cheaper to pay compensation that it is to call-out on-call engineers?

c. Talking of compensation; how much would you expect VM to credit for an outage of getting-on for 70 hours?

A. High TX load should no longer be an issue, you've been moved onto a new ubr capable of 50Mb with not very many customers.

B. For a total loss of service, yes engineers are dispatched during the night and at weekends.

C. As Moldova says credit for loss or service is done on a 24 hour basis, so take your monthly charge, divide it 30 then multiply it by 3 to cover your 3 days with no service.

Stabhappy
06-04-2009, 23:32
It could very well be high utilisation of the upload channel, though.

Peter_
06-04-2009, 23:35
It could very well be high utilisation of the upload channel, though.
More likely an SNR issue as the are to few 50Mb modems on most uBRs at present.