PDA

View Full Version : Training to be an Electrician

Raistlin
06-04-2009, 13:23
Just been poking around on the Interwebs, but can't seem to get the information I require - as usual the applicable legislation/advice is about as clear as mud.....

If I want to:

Undertake electrical installation/rectification work in domestic situations (including 'wet' areas: kitchens, bathrooms, etc);
Certify my own work;
Certify the work of others.

What qualifications/certifications/experience do I need? Are there any particular courses that I must undertake/pass? Do I need to register with any bodies/organisations?

Is there anything else I need to do/know?

Ta muchly :)

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

Forgot to say that I actually tend to consider myself fairly competent with electrical type stuff, but I'm not sure that my own assessment of 'competent' necessarily applies :D

Kymmy
06-04-2009, 14:05
To self certify you need to be regsitered under one of the recognised Competent person schemes

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315274277.html

Angua
06-04-2009, 14:21
You want Part P training which is something like this (http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/trades/Electrical/courses/1-partp-domestic-installers-course?gclid=CIXvsOWr3JkCFQOcFQodRl5pVA)

Many sparks are not bothering with this & relying on the local building regulation inspector to approve work. :dozey:

Raistlin
06-04-2009, 14:31
Thanks for that :)

Just something I fancy doing, always enjoyed electrical work and think I'd quite like to do small jobs for people at the weekends and stuff - obviously need to make sure I'm a) legal, and b) doing it right :)

Graham M
06-04-2009, 14:47
It could be very pricey for your "weekend work" as you have to keep up with the current legislations which involves going back for refresher courses

georgepomone
06-04-2009, 15:27
Plus hefty insurance payments. You have to cover yourself.
George.

Angua
06-04-2009, 16:27
IIRC you would be ok for replacing sockets or switches but not re-wiring or anything more major. Basically anything a competent DIY person could manage otherwise you need something like Public Liability insurance to a minimun of £5m.