PDA

View Full Version : Constant Disconnections, Engineer has come and finds no faults...?

Wyrdlight
05-04-2009, 12:14
Heya.

We have 20 meg cable virgin internet ect.

Since last Thursday Night we have had constant disconnections from the internet with 4-7 mins between each disconnection.

The disconnection lasts maybe half a second, with connection being restablished almost instantly, on the other hand this means that playing games on the net or downloading things becomes impossible.

We called Virgin and they sent and engineer who could find no problems of any kind he replaced modem, and the problem persists. We have tired running the modem plugged direct into the pc, and the problem persists.

We run a home network with 4 or 5 pc's, 2 xbox 360's and 2 i phones, the disconnection problem is presant on all devices as far as i can tell.

The power levels ect on the modem were all said to be fine by the engineer.

What could the problem be? most of the parts of the network are new and all were working perfectly until Thursay night, which leave me to believe that somthing happened then to cause the problem.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I am not very technologically minded and these problems are completely beyond me.

Many thanks for any help given.

idontpirate
05-04-2009, 12:30
We had this problem but the disconnections could last up to 5 minutes in length. The problem we had is that the coaxial cables weren't cut properly (not long enough) so the engineer had to recut all the cables.

Wyrdlight
05-04-2009, 12:32
We had this problem but the disconnections could last up to 5 minutes in length. The problem we had is that the coaxial cables weren't cut properly (not long enough) so the engineer had to recut all the cables.

Hmmm, but we have had the same cables for.... 2 years now, no problems until last week? surely such a problem would have displayed the symptoms from the very begining?

idontpirate
05-04-2009, 12:42
If he replaced the cables inside of your house then it might of been done wrong. I was on NTL 3 year ago and we had the cables in the house but it still wasn't working properly.
Also our connection lasted an hour before it started messing up. So i dont know

100meg
05-04-2009, 13:05
are you 100% the modem was off line
next time it happens

first check where they modem is really offline

ie take a look at http://192.168.100.1

how are you routing the network
as after seeing weather modem is operational or not I would start looking at router next

as if its just a small crap domestic router it proberly just running out of memory

what were you doing on network at the time of the loss of net
you were running bitorrent by any chance were you ?

that's great for killing crap routers

Wyrdlight
05-04-2009, 13:06
If he replaced the cables inside of your house then it might of been done wrong. I was on NTL 3 year ago and we had the cables in the house but it still wasn't working properly.

Nope, the engineer who cam eonly changes the modem, the rest is the sanme as it was.

Its driving me mad, nobody seems to know what the problem is or even ackknowledge that there is one.

idontpirate
05-04-2009, 13:08
Nope, the engineer who cam eonly changes the modem, the rest is the sanme as it was.

Its driving me mad, nobody seems to know what the problem is or even ackknowledge that there is one.

There certainly is a problem and its Virgins duty to fix a problem if the customer appears to have one so keep pestering them. Tell them the reasons why it is such a big problem and stress to them you may have to find another ISP if it isnt investigated.

Virgin losing customers = instant techie round at your house.

100meg
05-04-2009, 13:20
Iv just reread his post if the disconections are only for seconds

I would say its something to do with your network not the modem as when a modem drops conection due to a fault

It would tqake longer that a couple of seconds for the modem to relock

it has to re lock down stream then upstream and regrab the con fig before going back on line

as i said above next time its doing it look in modem config page watch modem lights

and ill bet that it operational and it your network

if it is the modem you will see it droping out
posible cause if its signal related is a faulty drop amp on the blink in the cab week signal droping more at peek time when every one is online

if it just slowing down for a few secs and not disconecting posible/likely that you ubr is a bit more over subscribed that usual nad need resegmenting

with out more information of what the modems doing when you experience this no one can really sergest where the problem lies.

if you go in the modem web page and post the log it will give more of a clue to whats going on with modem

Joxer
05-04-2009, 14:03
Not using level 3 DNS servers are you? They where down on Friday, possibly earlier, seemed to up yesterday but really slow, though that probably wouldn't affect gaming....

They seem to be OK right now.

fudge
05-04-2009, 16:29
I get a similar problem where im on the net. then the connection drops and i get a message come up telling me so and that i am being connected again which i am within a few seconds , this may happen only once a week but has been going on for a few weeks now.

Wyrdlight
05-04-2009, 17:15
Iv just reread his post if the disconections are only for seconds

I would say its something to do with your network not the modem as when a modem drops conection due to a fault

It would tqake longer that a couple of seconds for the modem to relock

it has to re lock down stream then upstream and regrab the con fig before going back on line

as i said above next time its doing it look in modem config page watch modem lights

and ill bet that it operational and it your network

if it is the modem you will see it droping out
posible cause if its signal related is a faulty drop amp on the blink in the cab week signal droping more at peek time when every one is online

if it just slowing down for a few secs and not disconecting posible/likely that you ubr is a bit more over subscribed that usual nad need resegmenting

with out more information of what the modems doing when you experience this no one can really sergest where the problem lies.

if you go in the modem web page and post the log it will give more of a clue to whats going on with modem

Many thanks, after watching the modem lights like a hawk i have found that they dont blink off when the disconnection occurs, the problem seems to be with my router... will wait till the 17th when Virgin come round and replace it as part of my 50 meg upgrade :-) see if that fixes it.

graf_von_anonym
06-04-2009, 02:36
Many thanks, after watching the modem lights like a hawk i have found that they dont blink off when the disconnection occurs, the problem seems to be with my router... will wait till the 17th when Virgin come round and replace it as part of my 50 meg upgrade :-) see if that fixes it.

The 50 meg will hopefully solve it all for you. That said if your curiousity gets you that way you could connect a device directly and run a continuous ping. Or, you know, have a cup of tea instead.

SP1D3RmUnKi
24-04-2009, 22:34
Hi, i've got the same problem and had it since i joined 20 days ago, it happen's with any internet program the uses a "keep alive connection" (this effects gaming, streaming, downloading, msn and skype) i can't even use parts of facebook ffs. I've spent hours on the phone with them trying various things, got a new modem and router, the engineer's been out found my signal was too high, fixed that but he problem still persist's. Its turned the internet from something i enjoyed in a major headache :( Virgin has given up saying it has to be my comp cos their system says everythings ok their end (yet it happens on all my systems plus our phones and the wii) and the problem is unique to me. After seaching the net i've found loads of people to have the same problem but no one has posted how they fixed it? :(

Can anyone please help