PDA

View Full Version : Updated router firmware, now internet games wont work

oliramsay
04-04-2009, 23:17
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. My modem (Netgear DG834G v4)c came with firmware from Virgin media, but I upgraded it today to Netgear's lastest. I now can't play any online game, but intrenet works just fine.

I don't think it has anything to do with port-forwarding because I'm not on any LAN or network, the Netgear DG834G v4 is being used soley as an ADSL modem.

Do I need to change some settings on the modem somewhere or do I need Virgin's original firmware to make it work again correctly?

Thanks in advance ;)

popper
05-04-2009, 00:18
you are infact on a LAN network (a very small one, true, but...), the VM/DSL providers CM/ADSL modem connnects to the WAN port of the router, and your single LAN PC is conneced to the LAN port through the wire or the wireless connection, reset your port-forwarding and add in your games ports again.

oliramsay
05-04-2009, 00:22
I never had to forward ports before the firmware upgrade. Someone on another forum said it may be something to do with UPnP :confused:

popper
05-04-2009, 00:30
forget UPnP and just add in your game ports manually and try it.

if it was working fine without adding ports on the earlyer firmware then why did you update it without reading up on it and understanding it first or asking here for advice etc, this other site, whats the direct URL of this advice ?

oliramsay
05-04-2009, 00:40
I've tried forwarding the ports with the same result :(

The reason I updated the firmware in the first place was because I was getting some stuttering in some online games and I thought that this would fix it.

popper
05-04-2009, 00:51
you added both the TCP and UDP ports for the game ?, and removed all references to these ports and game in your firewall settings, i assumed the MS version firewall is active and used, so it can auto add them again if needs be., try the most basic turning off your firewall OC before you do that....

your still missing the direct URL of that other sites advice as asked for

oliramsay
05-04-2009, 01:01
Tried turning off window's firewall too. here's the aforementioned URL: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835999

popper
05-04-2009, 02:11
\are you sure you have the right ports open ?

you posted this in the other thread as your ports
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/71.png

but the ports for tf2 are
TCP Ports
27020-27050

UDP Ports
1200, 27000-27015
as far as i know, im the tech , the lads not playing the game right now so i cant check his current settings...

so those upnp opened ports are for something else.....

if i remember right, You can find the ports you need by typing status in the console and looking at the ip address info.

and OC that 192.168.0.3 is your current fixed or router given LAN IP for the PC your running TF2 on!

oliramsay
05-04-2009, 02:27
Those are the UPnp settings, here are the ports I've opened to play TF2:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/70.png

The thing I don't understand is when I got the modem a couple of weeks ago, I didn't have to open any ports or anything. i just installed the driver put in my username and password for virgin and connected. now all of a sudden i have to mess around with ports and other stuff. I think the firmware that virgin supplied somehow had it setup so you don't have to open ports or any of that malarky because the average user doesn't know how to and their call centres would be inundated with people saying they can't play counter strike.

oliramsay
05-04-2009, 11:55
I reverted to an older version of the firmware and all is well. I'm soooooooo relieved :D