PDA

View Full Version : 50mb upgrade in my area has killed all 20mb connections

Pillhead
04-04-2009, 14:25
Re: Network upgrade stops internet. Is it just us?!

im in BR3 area of beckenham

Theres a massive problem in this area

This is briefly what i know............

50mb is on docsis 3 .............2 4 10 mb and 20mb are on docsis 2 in this area on Tuesday of Last week 50mb went live and they thought they would move all 20mb users on to the docsis 3 platform to make the lower tier less cluttered this is where its all gone wrong!

the modem reboots with the new config file and is bricked. virgin cant even access it. and if i have a new one connected its fine inside the walled garden but the moment they try and get it out its fubored.l

Basically they cant get out the walled garden ive had 4 modems and 6 engineers visits and im self employed and this has cost me £250 in lost work and is unacceptable the indian call centres have no clue. you call english customer accounts and they talk to india and even they have to come back on the phone and admit there own tech support know nothing about whats going on.im giving it till monday then cancelling everything and i have tv,phone,mobile,mobile internet, and xl internet so its a loss for them.

on a side note if they upgraded me to 50mb it will work and if they downgrade me to lower packages it will also work......but computer says noooooo and i will lose all my discounts.

So frustrating.

EDIT rang again last night and was promised a call back this morning by a "Jennifer" As expected i have had no calls!

AppleSauce
04-04-2009, 14:31
Think we are on the brink of this.

All 20mb customers moved to a new UBR, all the people on this UBR are having problems there is 3/4 of us in the newsgroups all experiencing similar problems.

But we aren't on DOCSIS 2, it's DOCSIS 1.1.

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 14:55
Basically they cant get out the walled garden ive had 4 modems and 6 engineers visits and im self employed and this has cost me £250 in lost work and is unacceptable the indian call centres have no clue. you call english customer accounts and they talk to india and even they have to come back on the phone and admit there own tech support know nothing about whats going on.im giving it till monday then cancelling everything and i have tv,phone,mobile,mobile internet, and xl internet so its a loss for them.

on a side note if they upgraded me to 50mb it will work and if they downgrade me to lower packages it will also work......but computer says noooooo and i will lose all my discounts.

Sadly as you're on a residential service you've no come back as far as losing money on the lost work goes. If it's vital to your work suck it up and get the business package it's more expensive but much better level of customer service.

Ernie_C
04-04-2009, 18:21
...and im self employed and this has cost me £250 in lost work and is unacceptable..
I think you'll find that it is against the Ts&Cs of the residential service to use it for business.

It is acceptable, I understand, for limited 'working-from-home'.

If you rely on it for work, you should certainly consider a business connection.

Peter_
04-04-2009, 19:05
If you have lost any business then that is down to you as the terms and conditions clearly state the followingD Using our services
You are responsible for the way the services are used. You must not use the services to do any of the following acts or allow anyone else to use the services to do such acts:

h: Use any services (including, but not limited to, phone services) for commercial or business purposes;

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html

If you require broadband for working from home then click the following link.

http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/

frogstamper
04-04-2009, 19:30
If you have lost any business then that is down to you as the terms and conditions clearly state the followingD Using our services
You are responsible for the way the services are used. You must not use the services to do any of the following acts or allow anyone else to use the services to do such acts:

h: Use any services (including, but not limited to, phone services) for commercial or business purposes;

I can't believe VM have not up-dated the old NTL-Telewest business broadband site, it hardly engenders confidence seeing an old site like that.

Peter_
04-04-2009, 19:32
I can't believe VM have not up-dated the old NTL-Telewest business broadband site, it hardly engenders confidence seeing an old site like that.
It works and has all the up to date details required and is a very popular business site.

frogstamper
04-04-2009, 19:37
It works and has all the up to date details required and is a very popular business site.

I'm sure it does, I'm reading through it as we speak, it looks very impressive I'm just surprised that it hasn't been brought under the VM umbrella.

Peter_
04-04-2009, 19:44
I'm sure it does, I'm reading through it as we speak, it looks very impressive I'm just surprised that it hasn't been brought under the VM umbrella.
I think it is because that looks more Corporate and Businesslike and probably the companies they deal with prefer it that way.

Or maybe they found licensing a Virgin name to costly:D

djmagnifique
04-04-2009, 19:46
How do you know that the OP is using a residential broadband connection for buisness? They haven't actually stated that they 'need' the intenet for there work, they could be, for example, a landscape gardener and are losing money because they are having to cancel jobs because they are having to wait in for an engineer to call.

Peter_
04-04-2009, 19:59
How do you know that the OP is using a residential broadband connection for buisness? They haven't actually stated that they 'need' the intenet for there work, they could be, for example, a landscape gardener and are losing money because they are having to cancel jobs because they are having to wait in for an engineer to call.
It is still not allowed under the T&Cs.

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 20:02

Bleh T+Cs on VM are excessively restrictive anyways, they can't have it their own way all the time, I break them by working from home as do hundreds of thousands of other customers. ;)

Mr_Moo
04-04-2009, 20:03
Moldova, what he is saying is that he's stayed at home to wait for engineers, thus losing money as he is self-employed.

Peter_
04-04-2009, 20:10
Bleh T+Cs on VM are excessively restrictive anyways, they can't have it their own way all the time, I break them by working from home as do hundreds of thousands of other customers. ;)
I am well aware they do and never really comment on it if they say they use the connection for work even though we are supposed to, if they keep going on about loss of work I always refer them to our business arm.

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

Moldova, what he is saying is that he's stayed at home to wait for engineers, thus losing money as he is self-employed.
Even then he would not be entitled to any form of recompense.

Ernie_C
05-04-2009, 09:23
You will be pleased to hear that you are not actually breaking the Ts&Cs.

As I stated in post #4 above, home working IS allowed under the AUP which prohibits the following:

6.1.4. trade or business use of the Services of any kind unless used during the course of working away from the usual place of work (“home working”). The Services are for residential use only.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/acceptableuse.html

Of course, you are not getting a business service.

Ignitionnet
05-04-2009, 09:45
You will be pleased to hear that you are not actually breaking the Ts&Cs.

As I stated in post #4 above, home working IS allowed under the AUP which prohibits the following:

6.1.4. trade or business use of the Services of any kind unless used during the course of working away from the usual place of work (“home working”). The Services are for residential use only.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/acceptableuse.html

Of course, you are not getting a business service.

Thank you - I can sleep at night now. :)

Pillhead
05-04-2009, 15:14
I think you'll find that it is against the Ts&Cs of the residential service to use it for business.

It is acceptable, I understand, for limited 'working-from-home'.

If you rely on it for work, you should certainly consider a business connection.

no what i mean is time off work to waitin for the engineers. so take that! :monkey:

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

god look at you jumping the gun shame your not so quick at fixing problems

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

What so i cant work and be self employed? what the hell you on about?

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

I am well aware they do and never really comment on it if they say they use the connection for work even though we are supposed to, if they keep going on about loss of work I always refer them to our business arm.

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

Even then he would not be entitled to any form of recompense.

where did i say i wanted any. Seeing as you a virgin employee you do put your foot in it

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

Think we are on the brink of this.

All 20mb customers moved to a new UBR, all the people on this UBR are having problems there is 3/4 of us in the newsgroups all experiencing similar problems.

But we aren't on DOCSIS 2, it's DOCSIS 1.1.

thanks for the heads up, any idea where it will be back online, and is it right that the modem will just start working?

Peter_
05-04-2009, 15:28
no what i mean is time off work to waitin for the engineers. so take that! :monkey:

What so i cant work and be self employed? what the hell you on about?

Mainly talking in general about using residential for business which does happen but not in your case, so sorry.

where did i say i wanted any. Seeing as you a virgin employee you do put your foot in it

You would be surprised how many people think they are due compensation for loss of earnings on a residential line, but as you say your not one of them.

Pillhead
05-04-2009, 16:04
i wouldnt think that even if i was a business user, thats what redundant lines are for.

Only time i would expect money would be for a leased line or something where i was paying loads for. Point is ive been without internet for well over a week when they "could" just shift me to a slower or faster connection and all would be fine.

Pillhead
05-04-2009, 19:41
ps do i just wait for the modem to spring back into life or what?

anyone with a nice comment that isnt a judgement help please?

horrorwood
05-04-2009, 19:48
Unbelievable here sometimes, 2 pages and nobody has even tried to help you yet..

smcaul
05-04-2009, 20:39
Mainly talking in general about using residential for business which does happen but not in your case, so sorry.

You would be surprised how many people think they are due compensation for loss of earnings on a residential line, but as you say your not one of them.

And some of us have actually got VM to pay for our lost time and work as well! :) :D

Peter_
05-04-2009, 20:43
And some of us have actually got VM to pay for our lost time and work as well! :) :D
I am talking about losing money on the business they are running on a residential line not any other form of compensation.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

ps do i just wait for the modem to spring back into life or what?

anyone with a nice comment that isnt a judgement help please?
You will need to call Tech Support again and ask for an update and if they need to send out another engineer, not really the answer you want but probably the only way to take this forward.

Pillhead
05-04-2009, 21:24
Unbelievable here sometimes, 2 pages and nobody has even tried to help you yet..

hmm i know hardly a nice welcome.

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

when you say update you mean to send the config file to the modem and reboot it?

so how do i know when the problem is fixed?

as im on the 4 or 5th modem which a engineer told me will just come back online when i know full well its bricked as virgin cant access it and neither can i over the lan?

even a phone call to say it wont be fixed for a month wouold be better then at least id know.

ive had 0% contact or call back from over 10 people who have promised call back..

what else can i do

i think the only answer is to go tthere office on the way to blackheath and kick up a fuss
either that or destroy the cabinet whcih is on my property as is the bt manhole cover...

sounds pathetic but what more can i do with endless promises, no call back, call centres that dont have a clue, its no wonder they dont make a profit even with there own cable internet lines when sky have to pay for a 3rd party and equipment to be installed.

There customer service centres actually speak and understand english

and to think i would actually be online if i had a illegal modem but because im honest and pay this is what i get> so ironic its mad. and that makes me maddder!

before people ask im on a housing estate type place, so the way things are routed are very wierd.

and to think im so honest i ring them when the front has been removed of the cabinet by people getting tv for free

bigtoe
06-04-2009, 01:15
I suggest if you have a local VM office near you i would pay them a visit. Ask to use their phone to make your service call so you don't pay for it and ask to speak with an engineer in that building.

I did this here in manchester, explained my problem in a calm way to the engineer and he then came down and offered to follow me to my house where he confirmed what we had talked about on the phone. I was then fast tracked to a tech who fully tested my modem etc and i ended up with a fresh cable pull, new modem and 2 months free net for my trouble.

Sometimes you have to go see them to get your issues sorted...my issue lasted 18 months...don't make yours last as long ;).

Pillhead
06-04-2009, 08:22
I suggest if you have a local VM office near you i would pay them a visit. Ask to use their phone to make your service call so you don't pay for it and ask to speak with an engineer in that building.

I did this here in manchester, explained my problem in a calm way to the engineer and he then came down and offered to follow me to my house where he confirmed what we had talked about on the phone. I was then fast tracked to a tech who fully tested my modem etc and i ended up with a fresh cable pull, new modem and 2 months free net for my trouble.

Sometimes you have to go see them to get your issues sorted...my issue lasted 18 months...don't make yours last as long ;).

unfortunately the nearest office is now 30 mins away from me, before it was just up the road in farwig lane bromley, they still have big unit there though doing something!

Pillhead
06-04-2009, 20:21
another modem and another call after being assure by english tech support there is no no problem.

of course the problem is still there!

booked a engineer visit for wednesday again even though he wont be able to do anything.

I might lock him in and block the van in, i might some where then!

Pillhead
07-04-2009, 20:37
just got a text from someone saying there virgin and the problem will resolved tomorrow.

mart18
08-04-2009, 05:59
My 20meg was all up and down when i was aware 50meh was bein rolled out in my area, After a few days i was shifted on a diff ubr, and now on 256QAM etc etc, so im assumin im on the 50 megs network thingy
my speeds are constant all day. even in peak times 19.6 meg

hope ur prob got solved Pillhead.
and to the dudes who was bangin on about T&C's... do read between the lines of what the dude was actually saying!

Pillhead
08-04-2009, 12:28
My 20meg was all up and down when i was aware 50meh was bein rolled out in my area, After a few days i was shifted on a diff ubr, and now on 256QAM etc etc, so im assumin im on the 50 megs network thingy
my speeds are constant all day. even in peak times 19.6 meg

hope ur prob got solved Pillhead.
and to the dudes who was bangin on about T&C's... do read between the lines of what the dude was actually saying!

Thanks mate, another few hours off work this afternoon to wait for the engineer i lose track of the number now!

Hopefully ill post back this evening from my home connection

Pillhead
16-04-2009, 14:00
just as a update its still down! no one knows anything or whats going on, theyve got to the end of the week before i just cancel it all as theres no point in having it otherwise.