04-04-2009, 12:58
The ultimate cure for STM
and improving you Bittorent download speeds

zing_deleted
04-04-2009, 13:01
hope you are paying subscription for that bank lol

Halcyon
04-04-2009, 13:02
What is that ? Several modems linked together ?

zing_deleted
04-04-2009, 13:03
Looks like with some kinda bridge to get him his 100meg. Not a good idea advertising a crime though bit like happy slapping

100meg
04-04-2009, 13:03
hope you are paying subscription for that bank lol

yep shaw am its a right dent in the wallet but works well

Sirius
04-04-2009, 13:14
What is that ? Several modems linked together ?

Yep no doubt using a hacked copy of wingate coupled with hacked modems to get around the STM. Virgin will see this more and more as they increase the draconian rules on STM.:rolleyes:

Have a closer look there are 2 types of modem there which confirms to me that the person is using hacked equipment

Flame me all you want but i know what i can see in the avatar

There is also a hacked settop

100meg
04-04-2009, 13:19
Yep no doubt using a hacked copy of wingate coupled with hacked modems to get around the STM. Virgin will see this more and more as they increase the draconian rules on STM.:rolleyes:

no wingate here
and no there sub`ed modems

its not a settop its a hardware load balancer you can see
a draytek vigor 3300v that has quad wan ports

there are 4 sub`ed ambits in that and the sufboard in just for the laptop on a wireless router

alferret
04-04-2009, 13:42
And you posted this because?

Bragging rights or not, your a thief. You steal bandwidth and make others on your UBR suffer for your greed. If I knew where you lived mate I'd make sure you got nicked.

People like yourself make me feel sick, sick to the stomach cause your a greedy little oik.

100meg
04-04-2009, 13:46
bad day ? your mrs not putting out ?:D:D:D
wishing you a a nice day too.

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 13:49
Umm who here can say definitively the guy is stealing service?

Didn't think so. If he's paying for it and worked around the 1 address 1 modem restriction he has every right to have 5 modems, and jealousy / indignation / whatever calling someone a thief without proof is a bad idea.

He may have acquired the SB during Telewest days and gotten the Ambits from VM.

I don't see a set top box anywhere in that lot, I see a Draytek, a Surfboard, coax splitters.

EDIT: Or he could have taken the photo from a cable hacker forum or someone with far more money than sense and be winding you all up ;)

Sirius
04-04-2009, 13:55

Didn't think so. If he's paying for it and worked around the 1 address 1 modem restriction he has every right to have 5 modems, and jealousy / indignation / whatever calling someone a thief without proof is a bad idea.

He may have acquired the SB during Telewest days and gotten the Ambits from VM. Could even have asked friends who had DSL to sign up for cable then taken their modems. Either way we don't know any service theft is happening, best to play it safe.

I don't see a set top box anywhere in that lot, I see a Draytek, a Surfboard, coax splitters.

EDIT: Or he could have taken the photo from a cable hacker forum and be winding you all up ;)

And there flys that big pink pig.

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 13:57
And there flys that big pink pig.

Cynic!

Sirius
04-04-2009, 14:00
Cynic!

Come on you know me and what i used to do :LOL: When have i ever stood back from this type of subject ;)

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 14:06
Come on you know me and what i used to do :LOL: When have i ever stood back from this type of subject ;)

Popcorn is on its' way old bean https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/33.gif

EDIT: Drinks are all mine though http://www.dixinormous.me.uk/popcorn.gif

100meg
04-04-2009, 14:08

He may have acquired the SB during Telewest days and gotten the Ambits from VM.

EDIT: Or he could have taken the photo from a cable hacker forum or someone with far more money than sense and be winding you all up ;)

nope took the pic of from under my desk
reason its a bit untidy is im still go to sort out the rack and pick up another rack server to run the games server

plus how do you know there not a few of us in our block clubbed together
for a nice network.

the only slightly doggey thing with had to do was install our own drop amp because virgins signal is so crap

plan is a rack set up with a dedicated dns server, a dedicated linux game server,a web/mail server and a 20 TB file server.

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 14:11
Could you supply a clearer picture nicely lit?

That's fair enough that's why I assumed nothing, makes a lot of sense for a few people to club together in that way. I hope you're in a 50Mbit area though else you'd have never seen over 38Mbit, 76 at best.

I think what you're doing rocks, however Virgin's signal isn't crap, they just don't expect it to be split like that!

xocemp
04-04-2009, 14:14
I'm not condoning what your doing, but, nice setup.

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 14:16
I'm not condoning what your doing, but, nice setup.

I'm with you on that one - sharing 4 modems between 4 premises along with own DNS, a NAS, etc, rocks. Good work.

100meg
04-04-2009, 14:20
it was when they came and split the line out side without telling no one a lazy enginer must have been short of a tap
yes its a 50meg area
were limted to 100meg because of draytek lans are 100 not gigabyte

cant really get a better lite pic as its under the desk at the moment
and its a bit dark in here

but here gos

in a lot of ways where be saving bandwith as the local lan games will be fun pluss as no one addmits we all want same movies lol

were thinking of linking up use wireless to a few more friends a mile or so away using a couple yagi`s on the roof if we can get a good link we should be able to

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 14:25
Good stuff dude, keep up the good work and get your network done.

AppleSauce
04-04-2009, 14:28
Crazy, shame about the 3.8meg upload though.

xocemp
04-04-2009, 14:28
You say 100Mbit, does that include the Motorola?
Will you be using a out of the box NAS or be using a *nix box as the server?

Edit
If you wish to keep your membership here, then stay clear of any willy waving competitions, divulge nothing as to how cloning is done. And perhaps use your networking knowledge to help out in threads where you can.

Jonathan90
04-04-2009, 14:30
Lol Applesource you kill it lol that is the crappest upload ever rofl.

100meg
04-04-2009, 14:33
You say 100Mbit, does that include the Motorola?
Will you be using a out of the box NAS or be using a *nix box as the server?

really 80 sort of as the 5 was just for my lap top as

file server will be a linux job were on a budget lol not loaded

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Crazy, shame about the 3.8meg upload though.

hence why may are tempted to clones

Jonathan90
04-04-2009, 14:35
IS there any chance of showing us a download with it? like a random linux iso.

Pillhead
04-04-2009, 14:41

;)

Didnt know there was a 1 address 1 modem ?

One of my mates has 3 modems in his house all legit.?

They used to share one but then one him and his brothers got into gaming they needed more bandwidth

100meg
04-04-2009, 14:46
IS there any chance of showing us a download with it? like a random linux iso.

only get silly speeds with something that use many concetions torrents news groupes etc

torrents depending on seeds news groupes is best to demonstrate that but i aint got a news server account at the moment

but its not all about speed well sort of

by pooling the bandwith it there when we need it rather that just 20 meg to each of us doing nothing most of the time

Druchii
04-04-2009, 14:47
Looks nice to me :)
If it's all been kept above board then i'm very impressed.

Hmm, thinking about this, 4 modems here would yield 104Mb down and 16Mb up.
Shame i have no need for such bandwidth :p:

Jonathan90
04-04-2009, 14:52
WoW Druchii you pay some serious money for that sucks tbh lol.

(Your internet)

AbyssUnderground
04-04-2009, 15:03
Nice setup, if its legal :) Wish I could have those sorts of speeds, i'd easily find use for 100Mbps/16Mbps :p:

Druchii
04-04-2009, 15:05
WoW Druchii you pay some serious money for that sucks tbh lol.

(Your internet)
Bare in mind everything is twice as expensive here, but the salaries are around 2 - 3x better too ;)

100meg
04-04-2009, 15:27
well here a shot of me downloading a linux distro via bittorent

but cant see full speed as not enough seeds and I was downloaded before it really stated to swam

peeked at about 3.1mb/s with a decent news provider would see a lot more

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 15:36
well here a shot of me downloading a linux distro via bittorent

but cant see full speed as not enough seeds and I was downloaded before it really stated to swam

peeked at about 3.1mb/s with a decent news provider would see a lot more

Use the Virgin Media newsgroups, news.virginmedia.com.

You might also want to just use print screen button and Windows Paint to avoid that unregistered blurb :)

Jonathan90
04-04-2009, 15:40
Nice maybe like a DVD from ubuntu.virginmedia might be better.

telfordcable
04-04-2009, 15:44
post deleted

Jonathan90
04-04-2009, 15:47
Please i just hope that there is some sarcasm in that sentence ^^ imo i think he is legit and pays for it. by the looks of it his friends help? like they pay for there modems not sure lol.

100meg
04-04-2009, 15:51
Use the Virgin Media newsgroups, news.virginmedia.com.

You might also want to just use print screen button and Windows Paint to avoid that unregistered blurb :)

a couple of keys on my model M are stuffed and it like an old pair of boots you dont want to part with

and there getting as rear as rocking horse **** to pick up thease days

was thinking of ordering a recon one from US but hate getting hammered but customs

AbyssUnderground
04-04-2009, 15:53
MOD: .......

You have no proof he is stealing the bandwidth. He might very well be paying for all of those modems and their subscriptions. You can't request he be banned on that basis with absolutely no proof.

I think its great that he has the guts to come on here if he's stealing it to be honest, even if I don't agree with it. It just goes to show how little Virgin are doing to stop this sort of abuse, doesn't it?

Callumpy
04-04-2009, 17:38
lol, how much do you pay for all those connections?

100meg
04-04-2009, 17:57
i dont pay for them all

theres 5 of us that all have ntl

4 of us are gamers and pc nuts and we decided too set it up between us
one night of a beer fingered it would be a crack as between us when had a lot of old gear we could bash together to make a nice rack

as I had the most know how its me that ended setting it up.

no 5 just aint a clue but as were we all thort it was a good idear he wanted in as well

when we was talking

biggest advantages for us is email privacy we all like movies file server makes a nice dump for movies
every one can share

and 4 can have a ball gamming
and no 5 starting to hit the games to
so we pay no more than you do for one connection each

but were basically donating our unused bandwidth to everyone else so we can do more jointly

were not fully setup still need to so servers

KingDaveRa
04-04-2009, 19:25
a couple of keys on my model M are stuffed and it like an old pair of boots you dont want to part with

and there getting as rear as rocking horse **** to pick up thease days

was thinking of ordering a recon one from US but hate getting hammered but customs

Or a new one:
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net//keyboards.html

Callumpy
04-04-2009, 19:28
i dont pay for them all

theres 5 of us that all have ntl

4 of us are gamers and pc nuts and we decided too set it up between us
one night of a beer fingered it would be a crack as between us when had a lot of old gear we could bash together to make a nice rack

as I had the most know how its me that ended setting it up.

no 5 just aint a clue but as were we all thort it was a good idear he wanted in as well

when we was talking

biggest advantages for us is email privacy we all like movies file server makes a nice dump for movies
every one can share

and 4 can have a ball gamming
and no 5 starting to hit the games to
so we pay no more than you do for one connection each

but were basically donating our unused bandwidth to everyone else so we can do more jointly

were not fully setup still need to so servers

Not a bad idea then really. Nice one.

KingDaveRa
04-04-2009, 19:33
So, just RDP'd into one of my work machines, and tried a quick download.

Wish I had phatpipe at home :(

Just thought... bonding pipes like that doesn't get you download across all the connections, unless you're using something BitTorrent, which will use multiple connections to download. I.e. downloading some stuff via HTTP or FTP would not be able to be split across all the connections, as not all servers support it (admittedly, rarer these days though). Even then, they'd so connections coming from four IPs, so it'd be up to the download client to reassemble the file cleanly.

Lots of you trying to download will be fine, but using it to do uberfast downloads from say usenet, might result in no speed gain at all, unless the load balancer was clever enough to send multiple connections down multiple pipes.

I've lost track of what point I was making...

Druchii
04-04-2009, 19:44
So, just RDP'd into one of my work machines, and tried a quick download.

Wish I had phatpipe at home :(

Just thought... bonding pipes like that doesn't get you download across all the connections, unless you're using something BitTorrent, which will use multiple connections to download. I.e. downloading some stuff via HTTP or FTP would not be able to be split across all the connections, as not all servers support it (admittedly, rarer these days though). Even then, they'd so connections coming from four IPs, so it'd be up to the download client to reassemble the file cleanly.

Lots of you trying to download will be fine, but using it to do uberfast downloads from say usenet, might result in no speed gain at all, unless the load balancer was clever enough to send multiple connections down multiple pipes.

I've lost track of what point I was making...
Making multiple connections throgh the balancer would surely balance them across connections? In which case, make 10 threads with Usenet client...
Balancer see's these, and sends 2 per modem...

As for HTTP Downloads, use a download manager. I use 4-8 connections depending :)
(Also, works connection tops out at 9MB/s, more when they enable the backup line)

Turkey Machine
04-04-2009, 19:48
That is a very impressive setup, if totally legit. The fact you have LAN games without using the net is more impressive, since if more customers did this, the load on VM's creaky network would be reduced.

internetguy
04-04-2009, 19:53
Making multiple connections throgh the balancer would surely balance them across connections? In which case, make 10 threads with Usenet client...
Balancer see's these, and sends 2 per modem...

You couldn't really use usenet if you have a system like that though. Most, if not all, premium usenet hosts will only allow 1 IP to connect per account. You'd need several accounts :/

AbyssUnderground
04-04-2009, 20:21
You already pay a premium for more speed, paying for more accounts wouldn't make much difference would it :D If you really wanted the speed, you'd do it.

popper
04-04-2009, 20:31
thats the point, iv been talking about community made and shared wired/wireless Bonded (thats what he has setup here, well one sided at least, not as good as 'end to end bonding' OC but good enough)WANs for a long time now.... everyone techy should try their hand at making one ;)

if people like Druchii ,abyss and the others here were to setup a simple open News server on their far faster upload connections and pole each others servers for the data, divide the binary/asci groups up between them and the storage etc,

and then give their IPs out to select groups subscribed for instance to your messageboard web pages then you would never need another commercial Usenet service ever again, welll perhaps one to get access to your initial data until your community WAN usenet took off.

you could OC go up a level and install your own usenet news servers on your seperate Co-Location kit and use that as well as your consumer upstream OC....

but then all this community WAN/LAN Bonding could also use a few Co-Location sites too for anything you might want to do, its not required that you use an ISP in any of this , all thats required is some form of connection into the countries network of Co-Location sites.... and your off.

100Meg: if your serious about this wireless and wired multi WAN, then take a serious look as making a SLAX liveCD with all your required apps and settings on there, as its about as simple as it gets for making your own distro, basicly copy the CD to a dir, copy your apps into a dir, setup your required generic settings for the apps and run a shell script to make your new LiveCD or USB booting stick image,

Slax http://www.slax.org/ is also the only current LiveCd that sets up and runs a PXE server directly off the CD so as to Net boot any of your other PCs n your LAN....directly into the liveCD/USB image you have setup. THEN share the live slax CD here and elsewere when you have tested it, LOL

http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=view&parentID=35357

iv not looked or trialed any of this in a while so dont know if its any good or works as it says on the tin ;) but try this perhaps, for your wireless stuff
http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/

http://www.zeroshell.net/ss/netbalancer.gif

Load Balancing and Failover of multiple Internet connections;
UMTS/HSDPA connections by using 3G modems;
RADIUS server for providing secure authentication and automatic management of the encryption keys to the Wireless 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11a networks supporting the 802.1x protocol in the EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS and PEAP form or the less secure authentication of the client MAC Address;
WPA with TKIP and WPA2 with CCMP (802.11i complaint) are supported too; the RADIUS server may also, depending on the username, group or MAC Address of the supplicant, allow the access on a preset 802.1Q VLAN;

Captive Portal to support the web login on wireless and wired networks. Zeroshell acts as gateway for the networks on which the Captive Portal is active and on which the IP addresses (usually belonging to private subnets) are dynamically assigned by the DHCP. A client that accesses this private network must authenticate itself through a web browser using Kerberos 5 username and password before the Zeroshell's firewall allows it to access the public LAN. The Captive Portal gateways are often used to provide authenticated Internet access in the HotSpots in alternative to the 802.1X authentication protocol too complicated to configure for the users. Zeroshell implements the functionality of Captive Portal in native way, without using other specific software as NoCat or Chillispot;

QoS (Quality of Service) management and traffic shaping to control traffic over a congested network. You will be able to guarantee the minimum bandwidth, limit the max bandwidth and assign a priority to a traffic class (useful in latency-sensitive network applications like VoIP). The previous tuning can be applied on Ethernet Interfaces, VPNs, bridges and VPN bondings. It is possible to classify the traffic by using the Layer 7 filters that allow the Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) which can be useful to shape VoIP and P2P applications;

HTTP Proxy server which is able to block the web pages containing virus. This feature is implemented using the ClamAV antivirus and HAVP proxy server. The proxy server works in transparent proxy mode, in which, you don't need to configure the web browsers of the users to use it, but the http requests will be automatically redirected to the proxy;

Wireless Access Point mode with Multiple SSID and VLAN support by using WiFi network cards based on the Atheros chipsets. In other words, a Zeroshell box with one of such WiFi cards could become a IEEE 802.11a/b/g Access Point providing reliable authentication and dynamic keys exchange by 802.1X and WPA protocols. Of course, the authentication takes place using EAP-TLS and PEAP over the integrated RADIUS server;

Host-to-lan VPN with L2TP/IPsec in which L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol) authenticated with Kerberos v5 username and password is encapsulated within IPsec authenticated with IKE that uses X.509 certificates;
Lan-to-lan VPN with encapsulation of Ethernet datagrams in SSL/TLS tunnel, with support for 802.1Q VLAN and configurable in bonding for load balancing (band increase) or fault tolerance (reliability increase);

Router with static and dynamic routes (RIPv2 with MD5 or plain text authentication and Split Horizon and Poisoned Reverse algorithms);
802.1d bridge with Spanning Tree protocol to avoid loops even in the presence of redundant paths;
802.1Q Virtual LAN (tagged VLAN);

Firewall Packet Filter and Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) with filters applicable in both routing and bridging on all type of interfaces including VPN and VLAN;

It is possible to reject or shape P2P File Sharing traffic by using IPP2P iptables module in the Firewall and QoS Classifier;
NAT to use private class LAN addresses hidden on the WAN with public addresses;

TCP/UDP port forwarding (PAT) to create Virtual Servers. This means that real server cluster will be seen with only one IP address (the IP of the virtual server) and each request will be distributed with Round Robin algorithm to the real servers;
Multizone DNS server with automatic management of the Reverse Resolution in-addr.arpa;
Multi subnet DHCP server with the possibility to fix IP depending on client's MAC address;
PPPoE client for connection to the WAN via ADSL, DSL and cable lines (requires a suitable MODEM);
Dynamic DNS client used to easily reach the host on WAN even when the IP is dynamic;
NTP (Network Time Protocol) client and server for keeping host clocks synchronized;
Syslog server for receiving and cataloging the system logs produced by the remote hosts including Unix systems, routers, switches, WI-FI access points, network printers and others compatible with the syslog protocol;

Kerberos 5 authentication using an integrated KDC and cross-authentication between realms;
LDAP, NIS and RADIUS authorization;
X509 certification authority for issuing and managing electronic certificates;
Unix and Windows Active Directory interoperability using LDAP and Kerberos 5 cross realm authentication.
etc, etc......

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 20:45
popper a full news feed as of December 2008 was 4.45TB/day or just over 412Mbit/s 24*7. Not really feasible for home storage ;)

popper
04-04-2009, 20:56
5 1 terabyte drives on a simple freeNAS http://www.freenas.org/ software raided should cover that ;), you might need to add in a few more MultiWAN connections though to get that without any VM STB kicking in and slowing you down.

try using "ISCSI" on there for your remote NAS connected drives on windows , works a treat over cheap RTL 1000Mbit/gig ethernet LAN cards.

althought theres also the alt and darknet (darknet were only your community LAN users can access your internal linux usenet collections etc ;) ) so you might need a second or 3rd FreeNAS box for that.....

well, you can always just be selective in your newsgroup selections and bring that 4.45TB/day dataflow down a little ;)

xocemp
04-04-2009, 21:01
Vote for FreeNAS, Mmmm proftpd :tu:

popper
04-04-2009, 21:06
You already pay a premium for more speed, paying for more accounts wouldn't make much difference would it :D If you really wanted the speed, you'd do it.

IF only Virgin Media would finally officially allow you to have more than one single modem per account much like the 3 STBS per account but for CMs, then you could have it , and VM would make lots of extra cashflow for almost no new outlay.

using your generic existing and powered STBs internal CM for a basic second 2Mbit down/1Mbit upload that the DS2 can handle when and if they ever re-seg properly would be a very good thing.....for everyone, including VM profits.

AbyssUnderground
04-04-2009, 21:15
IF only Virgin Media would finally officially allow you to have more than one single modem per account much like the 3 STBS per account modem but for CMs, then you could have it , and VM would make lots of extra cashflow for almost no new outlay.

using your generic STBs internal CM for a basic second 2Mbit down/1Mbit upload that the DS2 can handle when and if they ever re-seg properly would be a very good thing.....

Can't you get around that by claiming your house is split into a flat? Like Number 10a, 10b, etc?

Jon T
04-04-2009, 21:23
Nice setup 100meg,

Only one thing that you may not know regarding the email server.

If your intention is to send email out via your connection, your still going to need to send it out via virgin's SMTP server. If you attempt to send emails directly from the server, most will fail to reach their targets, this is because most ISP's will reject email origination from a domestic/DHCP address block.

popper
04-04-2009, 21:29
Can't you get around that by claiming your house is split into a flat? Like Number 10a, 10b, etc?

you could,if you talk to the right people but it's not official, and more so, the so called VM brand new billing system doesnt allow for such a basic requirement, !DOH :shocked: in effect Virgin media are throwing away good NEW Broadband profits for NO GOOD REASON yet again....

Callumpy
04-04-2009, 21:32
Nice setup 100meg,

If your intention is to send email out via your connection, your still going to need to send it out via virgin's SMTP server. If you attempt to send emails directly from the server, most will fail to reach their targets, this is because most ISP's will reject email origination from a domestic/DHCP address block.

Unless VM did rDNS

AbyssUnderground
04-04-2009, 21:33
in effect Virgin media are throwing away good NEW Broadband profits for NO GOOD REASON yet again....

Nothing new there then eh... :dozey:

Unless VM did rDNS

Even then it would probably fail, most ISP dynamic IP blocks are blacklisted for spam anyway.

Ignitionnet
04-04-2009, 21:40
Unless VM did rDNS

VM offer no services, no rDNS, no static IP address, no multiple IP addresses on the residential product, which probably costs a few customers and is odd given the existence of selfcare and that customers could self-administer it. I know it costs the company the odd customer here and there, though it's probably the kind they don't want :angel:

popper
04-04-2009, 21:53
Nice setup 100meg,

thats easy enough, just use a free 3rd party Email server on the web side, or better just have a community Co-located virtual/real server collection and run your community email server through that directly bypassing any ISPs restrictions, YOU dont NEED ISPs remember!, they just make it easyer to connect to the web though their middle man wires but they seem to forget that.

as it stands, mass country wide uptake of small Community run WAN/LANs could/would do more for the UK economy and upping the upload speeds for a fair fixed price, Wimax and generic wireless microwave 1GigE kit can get your community WAN/LAN online to your local Co-Location site today for a one off outlay for the kit, and its prices are dropping by the day so the ISP better pull their socks up rather than peeing about with STM and DPI for commercial profit of YOUR dataflows....

Jon T
04-04-2009, 22:21
thats easy enough, just use a free 3rd party Email server on the web side, or better just have a community Co-located virtual/real server collection and run your community email server through that directly bypassing any ISPs restrictions, YOU dont NEED ISPs remember!, they just make it easyer to connect to the web though their middle man wires but they seem to forget that.

as it stands, mass country wide uptake of small Community run WAN/LANs could/would do more for the UK economy and upping the upload speeds for a fair fixed price, Wimax and generic wireless microwave 1GigE kit can get your community WAN/LAN online to your local Co-Location site today for a one off outlay for the kit, and its prices are dropping by the day so the ISP better pull their socks up rather than peeing about with STM and DPI for commercial profit of YOUR dataflows....

agreed.

The point I was making is that an email server hosted directly on on a Virgin connection sending emails directly out is doomed to failure.

100meg
05-04-2009, 12:00
Iv never had problem running my own server when useing say http://www.dyndns.com/
and mail hop

some interesting links above guys

freeNAS looks very interesting and may well be they way to go. I had not seen zeroshell but it does look intresting

but the draytek does seem to fit our needs at the moment

Jon T
05-04-2009, 12:11
Iv never had problem running my own server when useing say http://www.dyndns.com/
and mail hop

some interesting links above guys

freeNAS looks very interesting and may well be they way to go. I had not seen zeroshell but it does look intresting

but the draytek does seem to fit our needs at the moment

You won't have a problem getting a server running, but any mail server you set up will have it's fuctionality limited as ISP's generally be reject any email that is sent from a DHCP/residential IP block. This is to limit the effects of mail bombs from PCs infected with trojans/worms that have their own SMTP engine.

You'll be fine with DNS/WEB/FTP etc servers. But for the mail you will have to relay through either the Virgin SMTP server or a third party outgoing email server.

AbyssUnderground
05-04-2009, 12:21
You won't have a problem getting a server running, but any mail server you set up will have it's fuctionality limited as ISP's generally be reject any email that is sent from a DHCP/residential IP block. This is to limit the effects of mail bombs from PCs infected with trojans/worms that have their own SMTP engine.

You'll be fine with DNS/WEB/FTP etc servers. But for the mail you will have to relay through either the Virgin SMTP server or a third party outgoing email server.

I can confirm this having run an e-mail server for 2 years with limited functionality before moving to a dedicated server. Even incoming mail can be limited when on an ISP IP block as some servers won't send to blacklisted IP's either.

Toto
05-04-2009, 12:42

Spot on, if any receiving mail server subscribes to a DUL such as the SORBS version, they will see that the IP address for the mail server trying to connect to theirs does not match that of the official MX record for that dynamic range, will therefore refuse connection, usually with the appropriate error sent back.

Its a minor point though considerig what the O/P wants to do with that set up. :)

100meg
05-04-2009, 13:08
Spot on, if any receiving mail server subscribes to a DUL such as the SORBS version, they will see that the IP address for the mail server trying to connect to theirs does not match that of the official MX record for that dynamic range, will therefore refuse connection, usually with the appropriate error sent back.

Its a minor point though considerig what the O/P wants to do with that set up. :)

very true if need be im shaw i can find a better smtp than virgins lol

Toto
05-04-2009, 14:27
very true if need be im shaw i can find a better smtp than virgins lol

I don't doubt it, but I've vary rarely had email issues with VM, well at least on the old ntlworld.com domain for sure....can't speak for blueyonder or virgin.net

popper
05-04-2009, 17:09
100meg, did you try getting and selecting that Slax http://www.slax.org/get_slax.php LiveCd/usb PXE server directly off the CD to then net boot a few spare PCs and get online as a test ?

i was looking through the slax loadable modules http://www.slax.org/modules.php?category=network&search=&author=0&priority=&page=2
and came across this new HSOconnect + ICON225 modem + Orange slax module
http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=2346

looks interesting and seems it might work for most 3G ICON USB generic modems,.

one or more WAN's to add to your growing MultiWAN connections ;)
dont use a new VM "addict" 3G plan though ,apparently they have a "fair use" 25MB *daily* wireless internet usage cap and the monthly download limit of 1GB for your £20 PAYG credit....