PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Mobile Phone!

lucy7
03-04-2009, 09:32
The mobile phone made its first appearance 36 years ago today.
Used by the inventor in New York, he phoned a colleague on his 12 inch long Motorola. It had a life of 35 minutes and took 10 hours to charge.

Big change today, mine does the washing up for me sometimes!:)

I was once one of those who said I will never need one, they are for posers!
Now I have 2, one personal and one for work, and about 6 in lurking around in drawers.

We just went on holiday, and I chose not to take it, good move as well for me.

Could you manage without yours, or are you hooked on it like my husband is to his?

Halcyon
03-04-2009, 16:56
I wish the stupid things had never been invented and the person who decided to put little speakers in them so that school kids could annoy a whole bus with their crap tinny music should be banned from ever inventing anything ever again.

We rely on this technology far too much. People never say hello in the street becuase they are on their phones.
Can't we spend time without always being reachable, time to relax a bit.

And don't get me started on phone masts...... They need all knocking down too!

Russ
03-04-2009, 17:05
It had a life of 35 minutes and took 10 hours to charge.

So that's where Apple got the idea from then :D

Paul
03-04-2009, 17:08
I remember I got my first one about 1996. I have about 3 spare ones knocking about at home now.

Russ
03-04-2009, 17:49
I remember I got my first one about 1996. I have about 3 spare ones knocking about at home now.

I think that's when I mine too, a Motorola d460 (http://www.handy-sammler.de/Images/motorola_d460.jpg) and was a company phone for when I managed my local Tandy store. For £35 it gave me....15 free minutes a month :eeek:

xocemp
03-04-2009, 18:49
My first provider was cellnet :D

Chris
03-04-2009, 19:06
My first was the imaginatively named 'Nokia Orange' handset, which I bought in late 1995. I've had several since, some mine, some my employer's, but I've only ever been on Orange. Now there's loyalty for you ... :spin:

dilli-theclaw
03-04-2009, 19:07
I still miss my startac.

ZrByte
03-04-2009, 21:40
My first phone was a philips Savvy on U network which I bought In 1997/98 Not sure which. U was an offshoot of bt cellnet, same network etc but calls cost 1p more per minute and texts cost half. That phone lasted me 4 years at which point I was given a Nokia 7110 Which is still alive today though that phone has been handed down to almost every member of my family at some point by now.

Maggy
04-04-2009, 00:03
Not had much luck with mine..had two out of the four nicked...:(

I really miss my little Sagem.It was enamel blue and so small.It was like a Star Trek communicator...:(

I hope the tealeaf has still has the bum boils I cursed him with using my Nigerian witchdoctor beads.:mad: