PDA

View Full Version : What wireless speeds can I expect with 50mb ?

devilhunter
03-04-2009, 04:21
Hello people.

What wireless speeds can I expect to get with a 50mb connection ?
With my sons pc I have had no joy using the supplied Netgear dongle as it was so slow so went back using the old Belkin g dongle.
Speed tests are between 10 and 20 mb.

Now the real problem is my laptop - a brand new Acer 8930 with built in wireless n.
It is giving me the same sort of speeds - 10 to 20 mb wireless with speednet.
On looking at my wifi connection it is stating its connected at 54Mbps. I though it should upto 300Mbps ?
I get this speed all over the house and I am using WPA2.

Is it running in g mode ? Some help or advice would be great.
I am in Maidstone, Kent too and using a fixed ethernet brings me between 40 to 50 mb so at least it is a wireless problem.

Cheers guys.

Stabhappy
03-04-2009, 04:44
Change the wireless channel in the router. However, if you have a 'G' device connected I belive the standard procedure for routers is to use G for all devices.

devilhunter
03-04-2009, 05:04
oh yes.....

Just realised that I had TKIP instead of AES in the wireless setting in Vista.
Just changed it to AES and this is the first speed test.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/80.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Thats to a server in Germany and I am on the 2nd floor and the router is on the ground floor. Thats why I want the 50mb !

I cant believe that after 3 calls to VM and Netgear and no one suggested changing that 1 simple thing.

Will try the Netgear dongle on my sons pc again tomorrow.

:doh:

Stabhappy
03-04-2009, 05:12
Ooo! That's much healthier.

HSp8
03-04-2009, 09:20
I'm also getting poor speeds with the Netgear dongle (20Mb)

Should I just buy a G dongle to get higher speeds? What settings do I need to change on the router? (WNR2000)

roughbeast
03-04-2009, 10:08
You might try TCP optimizer on all your PCs and lappies. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php I got an immediate improvement on my N-router wireless connection to laptops. Beware though. The age and spec of your laptop will affect download speeds.

Don't expect anything like 50mb anyway. To get over 30mb would be outstanding!

I found it better to get some ex BTVision Comtrend powerline adaptors off eBay (£30 - £40 a pair) I have set the whole house running off of these to serve games systems and the media PC etc. I'm getting 40mb+ through those. It is really easy to get different pairs of Comtrends to talk to each other.

devilhunter
03-04-2009, 11:17
Just to be clear, when you click on the network and sharing, connection view status the speed stated 65 Mbps (up from 54).

What does that actually mean and is 65 ok ? - what do you guys connect at ?

R

roughbeast
03-04-2009, 13:32
Just to be clear, when you click on the network and sharing, connection view status the speed stated 65 Mbps (up from 54).

R

Not sure what you mean.

southwell
03-04-2009, 14:13

R
That is your connection speed to your router, not the internet. 65 should give you enough bandwidth to get 50mb.

devilhunter
03-04-2009, 14:31
Update.

I changed the channel number in the wireless settings on the router page to channel 7 from channel 9 and that has brough the Mbps speed upto around 130 so that a vast improvement.
is there a best channel or is it just trial and error ?

roughbeast
03-04-2009, 14:53
That is your connection speed to your router, not the internet. 65 should give you enough bandwidth to get 50mb.

Ah I get what devilhunter means now. For example my PC ethernet connection to the N-Router is 100mbs, my laptop radio connection to the n-Router is 300mbs. However my VM cable modem on http://192.168.100.1/ is set to max at 53mb.

Looks like you should have no trouble accessing 50mb with a 130mb transfer speed devilhunter.

southwell
03-04-2009, 15:03
Update.

I changed the channel number in the wireless settings on the router page to channel 7 from channel 9 and that has brough the Mbps speed upto around 130 so that a vast improvement.
is there a best channel or is it just trial and error ?
Generally 1, 6 and 11.

I change my channel, go to command prompt and ping my router and watch for inconsistencies.

e.g.

Start
Run
cmd
ping 192.168.1.1 -t
look for MS inconsistencies

ctrl + c to cancel ping.