PDA

View Full Version : Networking on a WAN network

keogh03
01-04-2009, 18:01
hello

I have been looking at a WAN router EnduraLINK ER-1088 and I need to know if I can set up a network at my house where my VM is at 20mb and access it at another location as the LAN is for local and WAN is the for wide area network so does this mean I could connect to my 20 mb connection on another computer if. it is hooked up this WAN network.
Please I need some real expert help on this...
Please check out the website where i found the router if it helps

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EnduraLINK-ER-1088-Load-Balancing-Router/dp/B000YZ3TDQ

chickendippers
01-04-2009, 18:08
The connection speed you receive on the 'other' computer would be limited by the connection speed of said computer.

Furthermore you would be limited by the upload speed of your 20Mb connection (768Kb)

DocDutch
01-04-2009, 18:11
only way that i can think of for doing this is creating vpn connection between the 2 locations

keogh03
01-04-2009, 18:17
I ma not sure wot u mean by restricted by upload of 786k and the other reply mentioned a VPN connection what is this? Thanks for your help.

Ignitionnet
01-04-2009, 18:23
Can I just ask what you actually want to do here as you weren't really clear, do you want to get at some files or whatever on your home PCs, or do you as you were suggesting want to use your home internet connection from elsewhere?

If you want to use the connection from somewhere else what are you planning on using it for?

keogh03
01-04-2009, 18:31
Hello
Just to be clear I want to access this for general browding of the internet, downloading of files and maybe streaming a few tv shows, ie graboid or bit torrent and for the use of sling box. I have tried a bog standard remote access program but no joy this is why I am willing to pay whatever as i need my 20mb connection, surely is businesses can do it on their networks than I can.
But yes its for internet purposes ...

MovedGoalPosts
01-04-2009, 18:44
Broadband connections have two speeds. The advertised one, in your case 20meg, is the speed the connection can receive data. There is also an upload which is the speed the connection can send data. The upload is normally a fraction of the download, unless you have a very expensive business grade setup.

So both your home network will be limited in the rate it can send data to you remotely. Moreover, this will be compounded by the rate you are trying to send data to your home network from your remote connection.

If you are trying to do any significant volume of moving files, be it by torrent or other means, it would perform horribly.

Remote connections to a home network are possible, but keep it simple. i.e. you want to check that something is running, you want to start or recogure something that is running on the home PC, you want to remotely access a single file that you forgot to put on your laptop before you left.

A VPN (Virtual Private Network), allows you to make this form of temporary remote connection. You would need the VPN server software running at home and VPN client software on your remote accessing computer.

keogh03
01-04-2009, 19:03
I have also found this product Netopia R910 Ethernet Router (4-port)
Will this help with my attempt

Dai
01-04-2009, 19:48
Hello
Just to be clear I want to access this for general browding of the internet, downloading of files and maybe streaming a few tv shows, ie graboid or bit torrent and for the use of sling box. I have tried a bog standard remote access program but no joy this is why I am willing to pay whatever as i need my 20mb connection, surely is businesses can do it on their networks than I can.
But yes its for internet purposes ...

And you're prepared to pay $1000 for this?

Wow, I could do with a few clients like that...

For that price I'll come to your house and set up kit to do the business, and probably buy you a couple of beers as well..

Ignitionnet
01-04-2009, 20:02
You can't use the full 20Mbit from elsewhere. Whatever technology you use you will be restricted to only being able to receive files where you are as fast as the 20Mbit service can send.

It works this way You on the move <-768kbit-> Your Cable Modem <-20Mbit-> Internet

You can see where the bottleneck here is, you can't get your modem to download at 20Mbit then magic the data to you wherever else you are, you will be restricted by the upload speed of your cable modem, 768kbit/s.

Chances are that wherever you are you'll have faster direct access to the Internet than 768kbit/s and even if you don't going via home won't help.

Businesses can do it because they tend to have the same upload speeds as download speeds on their VPNs, this isn't the case with home connections especially Virgin Media whose upload speeds are very poor compared with download speeds.

You should consider O2 or Be both of whom offer up to 2.5Mbit upload speed, 3 times the speed of VM 20Mbit and faster even than VM's 50Mbit.

For simple remote access consider http://www.realvnc.com/products/download.html

keogh03
01-04-2009, 21:31
Thanks for your help everyone, but all the isp are saying the max I can get at my parents house is 512kbs because of the length of line from the exhange, 440km, so I will never get any faster on ASDL.. Cable is n ot available. Unless there are any other alternatives that don't depend how far from the exchange you are. All ideas welcome....

Ignitionnet
01-04-2009, 21:34
Just ignore your parents and stay at your own place, or get ready for slower service there.

http://www.samknows.com may help you, may not.