PDA

View Full Version : Strange STM occurences

flashpaul
29-03-2009, 21:45
On both Saturday and Sunday I have been capped after downloading around 1.3GB , I am on the 10MB service

The problem is I am in the Preston area and the limit should be 3GB !!

I know I am running under trial configs as I have previously noted I get full speed at 11pm

Anyone else noticed anything dodgy ?

suggsy
29-03-2009, 21:58
On both Saturday and Sunday I have been capped after downloading around 1.3GB , I am on the 10MB service

The problem is I am in the Preston area and the limit should be 3GB !!

I know I am running under trial configs as I have previously noted I get full speed at 11pm

Anyone else noticed anything dodgy ?

Probably not much help to you, but exactly the same thing happened to me, although i'm on 20mg, (till next friday when i get 50mg), i usually download after 11pm unless it's a fairly small file, then i get top speeds

Forgot to mention, i'm not in your area, i'm in Southend On Sea, Essex

kkevin666
30-03-2009, 00:11
Welcome to the wonderful world of virgin.

Where you ONLY GET THE SPEED YOU ARE PAYING FOR when it suits virgin.

STM is only the begining----unless youre only only browsing be prepared to be shafted left/right/and center for downloading that 4GIG demo on your xbox360 youve got the net connection plugged into.

Ita all about content delivery folks in this HD multemedia age - oh unless of course you have a 20M line from virgin - 23 mins at the speed you paid for will then reduce TO A 5TH
of that sped for AT LEAST 5 HOURS.

It really is about time a class action suit against virgin was seriously thought about.

THEY ARE GETTING ALL YOUR MONEY FOR A SERVICE WHICH REDUCES ITS SPEED BY
75% AFTER ONLY 23 MINS ----THIS IS TRUE FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT DO NOT ACTUALLY REALISE.

piggy
30-03-2009, 00:22
Welcome to the wonderful world of virgin.

Where you ONLY GET THE SPEED YOU ARE PAYING FOR when it suits virgin.

STM is only the begining----unless youre only only browsing be prepared to be shafted left/right/and center for downloading that 4GIG demo on your xbox360 youve got the net connection plugged into.

Ita all about content delivery folks in this HD multemedia age - oh unless of course you have a 20M line from virgin - 23 mins at the speed you paid for will then reduce TO A 5TH
of that sped for AT LEAST 5 HOURS.

It really is about time a class action suit against virgin was seriously thought about.

THEY ARE GETTING ALL YOUR MONEY FOR A SERVICE WHICH REDUCES ITS SPEED BY
75% AFTER ONLY 23 MINS ----THIS IS TRUE FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT DO NOT ACTUALLY REALISE.

could you provide a link to the 4gig demo on the 360 please.

Toto
30-03-2009, 00:23
I too get a drop from 20Mb to 4Mb at 23:00, not sure how long it lasts for, I think no more than a couple of hours, but I don't get STM'd, bit of a puzzler.

Traduk
30-03-2009, 00:36
I am in a different part of the country but my UBR is one designated as being on the STM trial. I have never hit the STM limits (ever) and have had really bad service from the day the trials started nearly three months ago.

Faults are getting another call from me in the morning and retentions shortly after. I had almost perfect service before VM decided to sabotage my area in an experiment.

This is the wonderful service I get at after 23.00 on a Sunday night. It will be perfect again tomorrow morning after their engineers re-boot everything but every day it struggles and at week-ends dies.

My 20Meg feed:

Sun, 29 Mar 2009 22:23:03 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 5161 ms = 198.4 KB/sec, approx 1635 Kbps, 1.6 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 7235 ms = 141.5 KB/sec, approx 1166 Kbps, 1.14 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 8585 ms = 119.3 KB/sec, approx 983 Kbps, 0.96 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 22923 ms = 89.3 KB/sec, approx 736 Kbps, 0.72 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1130 Kbps, 1.11 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.marsden/newspeedtest.html?1238365428763).

moroboshi
30-03-2009, 09:23
could you provide a link to the 4gig demo on the 360 please.

There aren't any 4gb demos but there are lots of semi-HD movies on the Xbox Marketplace (or the Apple TV iTunes store) which are that size. Once 1080p films become available, the download cap will seem even more laughable.

I tried streaming an HD movie on my Xbox a few months ago and it was a total disaster. 3/4 of the way through the throttling kicked in and needless to say, the movie aborted. I asked Virgin for a refund, but they didn't think a response was needed!